Will A Successful Saints Season Hurt Payton’s Trade Value? (1 Viewer)

Definitely. No team is giving up multiple 1's for a 60 year old Payton. I don't even think they'll give up a single 1st. And it has to be a team he wants to coach. "Well Sean they better give up two 1st round picks otherwise you're never coaching again." I just can't see that going down.

Then he's not coaching. That's the part you're overlooking. The Saints wouldn't let Lattimore or Kamara just walk away to another team because they don't want to be a Saint anymore. It's a business. Everyone involved (thankfully) understands this.

According to this, Payton signed a 5 year contract right at the beginning of the 2019 season. Depending on how the contract is worded, he either owes the Saints 2 years before he can coach another team (he must completes his 5 year obligation) or he can't coach another team until after the 2024 season (must sit out this season and next season).

We know he's not coaching this season, but to get back on the sideline next season, the new team would still have to compensate the Saints.

does anyone really believe he's taking a year off to recharge so that he can come back to the saints?

ny or dallas... it will be interesting to see what contract he signs.

my thinking is: who do we want off of either of those rosters?

I'm no attorney, but my understanding is that CSP has a contract through 20xx. We can't compel him to coach for the duration of the contract, just as he can't compel the Saints to pay him for coaching he has NOT done.

He walked away from his service contract, alleviating the Saints of the burden of his salary for the remaining duration of his contract. But we DO have contractual rights to be exercised IF he wants to coach again, during the remainder of his Saints contract. I don't know if his contract "tolls", or rolls ever, for a number of seasons, or if his contract is through a season/year. I'm assuming the latter. But if it's the former, we'll hold his rights until he "fulfills" those seasons. But I can't imagine that's how it is....players contracts are for "x years" not "x seasons", otherwise injured players' contracts would be extended for "lost years" or "lost games", but that's not how it works. I can't imagine coach's contracts are any different.

Injury is one thing. That's an inability to play.

Players can't retire and then unretire without fulfilling the number of years left on their contracts and it makes no sense that a coach would either.

IF the contract is for coaching a number of seasons then it would seem he's obligated until he coaches that number of seasons, but it's always been vague when discussed in the media so IDK.

Time will tell.

Jim Mora established the first winning culture here way before Payton. Ditka destroyed that. There is no way that Mickey will give up the rights to Payton for a 2nd or less. If so, he should be immediately fired. As stated above by another poster, Hall of Fame coaches don't come on the market often. So when they do they can the team holding their rights can ask a fortune. If a team can spend a lot of draft picks for a player, they will do it for a coach that will be there for a while. The two 1's and 2 2's is a fair asking price. Especially if the team wanting him is already stacked and just needs a high caliber coach. I doubt Coach will come back to coach a bad team. He may if he was a lot younger but he is too old to do a major rebuild.

Jim Mora established the first winning culture here way before Payton. Ditka destroyed that. There is no way that Mickey will give up the rights to Payton for a 2nd or less. If so, he should be immediately fired. As stated above by another poster, Hall of Fame coaches don't come on the market often. So when they do they can the team holding their rights can ask a fortune. If a team can spend a lot of draft picks for a player, they will do it for a coach that will be there for a while. The two 1's and 2 2's is a fair asking price. Especially if the team wanting him is already stacked and just needs a high caliber coach. I doubt Coach will come back to coach a bad team. He may if he was a lot younger but he is too old to do a major rebuild.

You think the one Super Bowl out of 16 years with Brees is enough to get Payton into the hall? I think he needs another. And I think that’s part of the reason he would consider coming back and why it needs to be the right situation.

Jim Mora established a regular season winning culture here….that is true….but he never won a playoff game in his career….and when he left the Saints were in sad shape….The reason I love CSP so much is because he is the polar opposite of Mora….he knew going into the playoffs you need to take chances to win…Mora never got that…

And at the time Gruden was traded, he wasn't a SB winning coach. He became one AFTER the trade.

While technically you are correct, the team that wants CSP will be bidding against the Saints. We own the rights to his contract, but don't have to pay him. That future team will be bidding against the Saints, and our ability to STOP him from coaching for the remaining duration of his Saints contract. If teams want to wait that out (another 2-3 seasons?), then your statement is true. Until then, I'm willing to bet that a team(s) will trade assets to procure CSPs services SOONER, rather than later.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. No doubt, more than a 2nd rounder; although maybe not 2 1sts and 2 2nds. To be perfectly honest, I hope CSP finds the studio to be an immensely less tense, and more cushy gig, and decides to STAY retired. We can speculate and argue about the expected compensation all we want, but of this I am SURE: the moment he signs to coach another team, our existing Saints coaches and staff will be at risk of being poached and promoted....and nothing the Saints can do about that.

Unless CSP hires his old buddies, like Gary Gibbs for DC, etc... Then I'm cool with everything. But I don't think that's very likely...
Good comment.

Loomis won't let him go to another team for a six pack of Bud Light, ain't gonna happen. The Saints hold all the cards in this one if Sean Payton wants to coach in 2023 for a team that he wants to coach for. Given this, Loomis will name his price and stick to it. Does anybody think Loomis will work any different kind of way compared to how he has worked when it came to Saints Free Agent Players who have left? He names his price and they walk if they don't agree. With Sean Payton, if another team comes calling, and CSP wants to go there, Loomis will name his price and wait for the phone call. He does not need to negotiate, the deal is whatever deal he says it is, if he wants two 1's and two 2's, then he can just say it and wait for the phone call. I could see him cutting back his demands to one 1st and one 2nd, IF the new team agrees that poaching any Saints coaches is off the table for two years.

Saints would be crazy to let him coach another team without getting a Gruden+ level deal. It makes no sense, why give up an asset for cheap? Just because HOF coaches don't make it to "free agency" should not result in a low price when a coach does become avaialble.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom