Will Anyone Be Worthy of the 10th Pick? (1 Viewer)

Whatever happened to Phillips? Wasn't he the favorite in January?
at the end of the season it looked good for Phillips, i think the injury to MM is what eventually changed my thinking. The other thing i started thinking about is which position
i did not want to draft next year.This is a great draft for CB's and i since i know we will be drafting much higher 09 i've turned my attention toward the CB slot. If i we're the GM i would be very tempted to go CB-CB/S with the first two and not have to worry about the position for a couple of years. Next year looks really good for LB's and linemen. Again i go 1-2 with LB's and quit nickle -dimeing the defensive needs. If we need DT or DE next year then we go down that route depending how this FA turns out. Progress and solidification is what i would like to see come out of this draft. no more patches...JMHO...peace

Whatever happened to Phillips? Wasn't he the favorite in January?

I still like us taking Kenny Phillips with the tenth overall. Look at our starting FS...Josh Bullocks is horrendous, and one could even say that Bullocks play at FS is worse than David's play at CB. IMO, Jason David > Josh Bullocks. If you dont agree, just watch this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I still like us taking Kenny Phillips with the tenth overall. Look at our starting FS...Josh Bullocks is horrendous, and one could even say that Bullocks play at FS is worse than David's play at CB. IMO, Jason David > Josh Bullocks. If you dont agree, just watch this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
:covri:

It's not always about a player being worthy of the pick. DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins, Rivers, Clady and even Balmer can all be worthy of the 10th overall pick because we have huge holes at these positions. It comes down to whoever our FO believes can make the biggest impact, that may even be an offensive player.

I have faith in the FO, even after last year's horrendous draft.

The guy that we get at #10 will play like a top 3 pick.

Your post reminded me that anything can happen with any of these picks, No. 1 to Mr. Irrelevant. So I really think people put too much thought into value for this slot or that slot. While successful drafting is a skill, it is also greatly impacted by luck.

What teams try to do with each pick is to obtain maximum value based on their grading system, which should in turn be based on the offensive and defensive schemes they use. There was an interesting piece in the Pro Football Weekly draft magazine discussing this concept of value. It does the Saints little good to draft cornerbacks suited for a Tampa Cover 2 (a problem with the Jason David signing, discussed last year, was that he does not fit our defense) or front defensive people suited for a 3-4, regardless of how high other teams might have those players graded.

Ideally, at 10, you would like to draft a player whom you have graded in your top 5 or 6 players on your board. I question whether it will happen this year.

When we draft, I do think that Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey, Jake and Chris Long, and McFadden will be off the board. And I suspect that if we assign quantified grades to each player on the board, there will be a nice gap in the grade assigned to the lowest graded of the six players named above and the grades of the top remaining players on our board when we pick at 10

That's the point I am trying to make and the concern I have.

So if we stay at 10, who still on the board will we have rated high because of their perceived ability and because they fit our offense and defense (which means no cornerbacks whose strength is zone)?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom