Will Drew be Next to Restructure? (1 Viewer)

I doubt it. If it's just a restructure where we give him a signing bonus, that makes his cap hit even bigger in the later years. That being said the only restructure that would make since would be one in which he takes less money in the coming years. Why would he do that when he held out to get the contract he has right now?

Nope he earned his money

None of the Saints players in the news today took a paycut.

It's possible he does it this season, but with the cap space freed today plus Vilma/Smith cuts being able to save $14-16m (depending on whether they choose to accelerate Smith's remaining signing bonus or designate him as a post June 1st cut and deal with it next season), they can wait until next season if they choose to. 2015 is when they HAVE to restructure, likely by extending him beyond his useful shelf life, converting base salary into signing bonus, and taking a big cap hit when they cut him and start rebuilding.

The only thing I see happening with Brees is kind-of-like what Brady did. Give him an extension with decent base salaries and a small signing bonus where the old signing bonus can be further spread out over the contract. I don't see any other possibility for a restructure, unless the cap makes a sudden and unexpected jump.

This year maybe, but not if it pushes his cap number to 27, 28 mil in 2015,2016...

This is the million $$$ question....and it depends greatly how will the draft of this year fare??

In 2 years we'll have the answer. And if the Saints FO drafts well, then the Saints will have a good chance to make some moves with Brees, so the cap hit won't be that severe......but if the drafted players are close of being busts...then expect fireworks. Then it will be quite clear the Saints just don't know how to draft defensive talent, and Loomis will be forced to look to the FA more & more. That will be the expensive way to go, and probably will be the end of Drew Brees in NOLA.

Drew Brees says he's "always willing to consider anything" that will improve the Saints' cap situation.

Brees was put on the spot about Tom Brady's team-friendly extension in a Wednesday radio interview. It's a nice gesture, but probably an empty one. Brees' cap numbers are already colossal for each of the four years remaining on his deal. The Saints will look elsewhere for cap relief

per: rotoworld

Unlikely.

His cap number this year and next year, while high, are managable. Then in 2015/2016 they get crazy high.

If he took 8M out of his 9M salary as a bonus now, his cap hit would go from 17.4M to 11M. But, then it goes like this...

2014 - 20.4
2015 - 28.4
2016 - 29.4

So, saving about 6M now hurts us even worse in future years by 2M each year. His actual salary isn't big enough, compared to bonus to make it worth while.

Now, in 2015, if he doesn't do a Brady special, they could turn a lot of that salary into bonus and just make 2016 be a crazy cap loaded year.

So, it's not impossible, but I think Loomis has shown he doesn't need Drew to do anything yet to make room.

Remember, Vilma and Smith will either be gone or at a much reduced price. We'll be about $10M under the cap by the time those two are dealt with. Plenty of room to re-sign Bushrod, or someone else.. and then a couple other players/rookies.

I wonder if they approached him saying "we need you to restructure x amount of dollars so that we can afford x impact player that should sure up a position and get us to the Super Bowl." If he would do it? Remember when Sean gave Greg Williams cash out of his pocket to make that hiring happen? Something of that nature (with Drew giving up pay so some other guy could come in).

I'm thinking they will only go to the "Bank of Brees" if absolutely necessary..

As Saint Ward pointed out, his contract is structured to re-structure in 2015.. anything before then would only be a modest savings.

It's good to know he's open to doing it tho'..

Unless he actually renegotiated it.

That would be a statement.

Of course I'm assuming a difference between a restructure and a renegotiation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom