Will Sean Payton stop being Bruce Arians (1 Viewer)

Not all opinions require ten hours of research. It’s his opinion and this is a forum. Sometimes people mistake SR for ESPN and Fans for Analyst.

I do believe we tried to stretch the field more than we should have while we were still in the game.
You are correct in calling this a forum
You are incorrect in defining ‘forum’ as ‘just an opinion posting place’

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Computing
Law
Roman History

noun
  1. 1.
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    "it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

BUT BUT BUT Winston isnt Brees lol

So isnt Bridgewater and he went 5-0 running the short passing scheme
I love how we just got the perfect example of why not to put everything on the QB, but people still want to give Teddy full credit for that 5-0 stretch in 2019 when Brees missed time. That short passing scheme with Teddy produced 12 points against Dallas and 13 points against Jacksonville. You're not winning any games with that unless the defense balls out, which the Saints defense definitely did then.

I love how we just got the perfect example of why not to put everything on the QB, but people still want to give Teddy full credit for that 5-0 stretch in 2019 when Brees missed time. That short passing scheme with Teddy produced 12 points against Dallas and 13 points against Jacksonville. You're not winning any games with that unless the defense balls out, which the Saints defense definitely did then.
I don't get the point of dragging Teddy into the conversation....it's just like trying to give TH credit for a 3-1 run last year too, bet you have no problem w/ doing that.

Teddy got credit for that 5-0 stretch because he took care of the ball and he stepped up in a leadership role. As fans we all would've been satisfied w/ a 3-2 stretch but he helped deliver a 5-0 run in our first extended period without DB & TBH the dropoff from 2018 Brees to Bridgewater wasn't that steep. From my PoV, Teddy looked to be a player that the rest of his teammates elevated their game for.

I don't get the point of dragging Teddy into the conversation....it's just like trying to give TH credit for a 3-1 run last year too, bet you have no problem w/ doing that.

Teddy got credit for that 5-0 stretch because he took care of the ball and he stepped up in a leadership role. As fans we all would've been satisfied w/ a 3-2 stretch but he helped deliver a 5-0 run in our first extended period without DB & TBH the dropoff from 2018 Brees to Bridgewater wasn't that steep. From my PoV, Teddy looked to be a player that the rest of his teammates elevated their game for.
I didn't drag Teddy into the conversation; OP did. That was clear as day. Had OP mentioned TH and the 3-1 record then, I would have addressed that as well. And for the record, I've already mentioned ad nauseam the circumstances of the Denver game that led to the easy win during TH's run as starter in 2020. But don't let facts get in the way.

I didn't drag Teddy into the conversation; OP did. That was clear as day. Had OP mentioned TH and the 3-1 record then, I would have addressed that as well. And for the record, I've already mentioned ad nauseam the circumstances of the Denver game that led to the easy win during TH's run as starter in 2020. But don't let facts get in the way.
Oof...maybe you're right about the TB drag in, I'll concede that, but you harped on the low output games and completely ignored the breakout game vs TB where he passed for over 300yds w/ 4 TDs...that's not discussing the topic in earnest.

Like I said, we would've been content during that 5 game stretch with a 3-2 record...he did his part in delivering a 5-0 record and didn't look inept at any point delivering it. He deserves credit for that.

TH OTOH that first half vs PHI last year looked like the entirety of this past game against Car...only diff is that IIRC TH had a full coaching staff and WR group at his disposal. That was his 4th start, if it were his first, I'd kind of excuse it but it was his 4th, that shows a lack of progression in his game. Like I said, this game sucked in its entirety for everyone...can't blame JW exclusively.

Payton is now Arians. That explains Jameis throwing balls up for grabs here.

Payton is now Arians. That explains Jameis throwing balls up for grabs here.
THe first pick was the 1st and right read, Harris was breaking open....the rush affected the throw. He didn't have time to see the checkdown on the cross breaking open.

The 2nd...was vintage JW, but the game was out of reach.

THe first pick was the 1st and right read, Harris was breaking open....the rush affected the throw. He didn't have time to see the checkdown on the cross breaking open.

He knew he couldn't set his feet and still tried to muscle it out there. Both are vintage Jameis. Along with the lefthanded throw into Armstead's back. And taking the sack at the 50 on 4th down. You can count on him to do the wrong thing when the pressure is on.

Oof...maybe you're right about the TB drag in, I'll concede that, but you harped on the low output games and completely ignored the breakout game vs TB where he passed for over 300yds w/ 4 TDs...that's not discussing the topic in earnest.

Like I said, we would've been content during that 5 game stretch with a 3-2 record...he did his part in delivering a 5-0 record and didn't look inept at any point delivering it. He deserves credit for that.

TH OTOH that first half vs PHI last year looked like the entirety of this past game against Car...only diff is that IIRC TH had a full coaching staff and WR group at his disposal. That was his 4th start, if it were his first, I'd kind of excuse it but it was his 4th, that shows a lack of progression in his game. Like I said, this game sucked in its entirety for everyone...can't blame JW exclusively.
There is a saying - the QB gets too much praise when things go right and too much blame when they go wrong. As I mentioned, we just got the perfect reminder of that saying being true with the loss to the Panthers (meaning I agree with you in that there was blame to go around for everyone), so wouldn't this be a good time to point out how that should be applied uniformly? I pointed in the direction of the 5-0 record with Teddy because OP mentioned just that and so yes, that was discussing the point in earnest because my point was "don't give the QB full credit/blame when it's not warranted." There were clearly two games (and something could easily be said for the Seattle game as well) in which saying "Teddy won those games" would be giving too much credit there.

There is way more to go into in regard to what you wrote there about TH's starts, but I am going to refrain from doing that at least at this point in time.

Actually, if you watch the video on the second int where it shows the field from behind the line of scimmage, you'll see a wide open Saint sitting on the goal line behind the D. Can't tell for sure who it is (#82, Trautman?) but that is the guy JW is trying to hit. He can't make the throw because he is going down, but the Saint is right in the line of the throw.

Good decision because the guy is wide open. Bad decision because he is being tackled while trying to make the throw. Another second of protection and its a TD.

To be clear, that player is out of the frame from any other angle except the one from behind the los.

He knew he couldn't set his feet and still tried to muscle it out there. Both are vintage Jameis. Along with the lefthanded throw into Armstead's back. And taking the sack at the 50 on 4th down. You can count on him to do the wrong thing when the pressure is on.
He has plenty of pressures before that throw and didn’t make the wrong decision- the way I’m looking at that first pick (and I’m not in his head - clearly this is an after the fact narrative) is that Jameis realized that doing the ‘right thing’ hadn’t done hack all game - so imma heave the ball bc at lest then something good ‘might’ happen
- it’s not great reasoning, but it’s not faulty either (very much darned if you do heckled if you don’t scenario)
The 2nd puck was dumb

Now here’s the thing
AR had this game 1st week against us
We made TB have this game against us last year
Drew had several of these including some in his first Saints season
If you’re concluding that THIS is Jameis as a Saints qb (and you’re not factoring in ALL of the bizarro context of last week’s game), then it seems like you’re finding data to fit a narrative

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom