Will Smith- lot of video (1 Viewer)

He did, 2006-2010 he was constantly held. 2012 he was rarely ever held, he no longer had the first step or burst that gave tackles trouble.

Are we watching the same 2011/12 games? He was held often from my perspective, but we know there is lot of gray area in that. Smith in his prime had a 1st step BETTER than both Wilson and Galette.

His main moves are using quickness to beat the tackle to the edge which he CAN DO now just not as consistently and easily as his younger years. The rip inside after forcing the tackle up the field, this is his most consistent and effective move now, because he doesn't have to totally beat the tackle up the field for it to be effective. However if the guard is unoccupied as soon as Smith tries to rip inside that guard will knock the crap out of him. Hence as a 3 down lineman pass rush he is pretty ineffective. They will always round up 2 blockers forSmith in that sense. Lastly is the bullrush which is only effective if you can open the tackle up, but Smith does a decent job of that because he has decent strength.

Whatever skills have diminished I'm looking forward to Smith playing over a guard where his quickness no matter how dimished, overshadows virtually every guard in the league. His bull rushes have already been destroying guards not because he is over powering but because he is upright before the guard can get out of his stance. Beating the guard over his outside shoulder or inside shoulder is a lot different from playing end, so I don't know how he will have to refine his pass rush moves, it isn't looking like his style of rip which was so effective at end would be very beneficial at all.

The funniest thing is I don't even have an opinion. I don't have an opinion as such because I don't have enough knowledge about the performance of any player to express one. If you will notice I have not expressed opinion to my knowledge about Smith. However, I do know how to make a rational argument and make it stick. I am not sorry though that I am challenging a few people here that don't have any basis for their point of view especially when their opinion runs counter to the consensus of professional opinions. All opinion should be based on facts not some half baked video were nothing concrete can be discerned.

No everyone here has a basis to criticize will smith. last time i checked there's no one on the planet immune from criticism. you're just being intellectually dishonest by using "coachs are infallible" argument to justify your sarcastic and ill thought out rebuke to anyone you disagree with. its lame and this is the last time i'm commenting on it because you just simply dont get it. will smith had a pathetic year. deal with it.

Dude everyone here has a right to post their comments here about the Saints whether some like it or not. The guy who started this thread had the right to start this post just as much as the guy that you are complaining to had the right to disagree with it. Everyone here has a right to post their opinon.

Besides the guy that you are complaining to has valid point the Saints evaluation of Will Smith and why is he still being kept on the team. They (Saints) Front Office & Coaches know how to evaluate talent. I trust their opinon more than anyone else especially when they have a SuperBowl win behind it and several postseason wins along with it.

the guy i'm complaining about posed an argument in his first response to this thread since then he's just been trying to convince everyone here that they should stop thinking about football because they aren't an NFL level scout or GM. meanwhile the rest of us are actually discussing Will Smith's talent, you know, the subject of this post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom