Will Smith- lot of video (1 Viewer)

Damm... even with video tape evidence the apologists are still out in full force. I thought the video was enough evidence but I guess they're still in search of that "smoking gun". smdh

I did the video, I also did a highlight video for Smith 2009-2012 I had to regrettably cut alot out of that video because I didn't want it in multiple parts.

Damm... even with video tape evidence the apologists are still out in full force. I thought the video was enough evidence but I guess they're still in search of that "smoking gun". smdh

There is no smoking gun. It's all opinion, and under informed opinion at that. If it makes you feel any better, regardless of who "wins", it won't make a damn bit of difference in what the Saints do :9:

I did the video, I also did a highlight video for Smith 2009-2012 I had to regrettably cut alot out of that video because I didn't want it in multiple parts.

2009-2010 he was a completely different player. He even still showed some burst at times in 2011 but 2012 he was really lacking. People think I'm a Will Smith hater but it couldn't be more from the truth. I also am pretty good at seeing a player for what they are from season to season. As great as Smith was in 2009, he was equally as bad in 2012.

There is no smoking gun. It's all opinion, and under informed opinion at that. If it makes you feel any better, regardless of who "wins", it won't make a damn bit of difference in what the Saints do :9:

Amen Bruddah. Smith can be a decent situational lineman but I'm looking forward to the new scheme and personnel in different places. Should be fun.

Our coverage was horrible and as the game went on it looked as if we had given up coverage wise. The best D-end in the world has no chance, Rodgers was throwing with almost no coverage

Yeah I went back and rewatched, some of it was just outright bad play, Patrick Robinson had man by himself on the left (defensive) side of the field and just got beat on the jam (which does happen sometimes). But some of it was just inexplicable. On the Meachem touchdown from the slot, Jenkins comes up on the man in motion. Why? What's the point? You're the deep help, or at least the nickel was expecting deep help. Who was responsible for the motion man? Was it Jenkins? If so just dumb defensive play design.

You see stuff like that and you have to think "what the hell is going on here?". Because, evidently, the players on the field had no clue.

Will Smith is still a good veteran player. QUOTE]

I see this all the times, from guys like Mike Triplett, and others. I just dont see how. I love Fresh Prince and he will go down as one of the top Saints of all time. But jeez, his time is done. I see no impact on the field. Maybe its more in the lockerroom as a leader, but other than that, he is done.

Will Smith is still a good veteran player. QUOTE]

I see this all the times, from guys like Mike Triplett, and others. I just dont see how. I love Fresh Prince and he will go down as one of the top Saints of all time. But jeez, his time is done. I see no impact on the field. Maybe its more in the lockerroom as a leader, but other than that, he is done.

That's pretty much where I'm at. It'll cost too much against the cap to cut him, but keep him around for leadership. That's a nice check to be a babysitter.

2009-2010 he was a completely different player. He even still showed some burst at times in 2011 but 2012 he was really lacking. People think I'm a Will Smith hater but it couldn't be more from the truth. I also am pretty good at seeing a player for what they are from season to season. As great as Smith was in 2009, he was equally as bad in 2012.

It's hard to make a judgement on any saints defensive player in 2012, however, it's easy to give guys the benefit of the doubt when critical analysis should be made. Everything around Smith was horrible in 2012, a D-end is at his best when he is playing with reckless abandon up the field. He had to continually cover for bad play last year. It almost seemed he was playing contain all year specifically for the sake of the corner-safety-OLB trio which was the worst I've ever seen.

It's hard to make a judgement on any saints defensive player in 2012, however, it's easy to give guys the benefit of the doubt when critical analysis should be made. Everything around Smith was horrible in 2012, a D-end is at his best when he is playing with reckless abandon up the field. He had to continually cover for bad play last year. It almost seemed he was playing contain all year specifically for the sake of the corner-safety-OLB trio which was the worst I've ever seen.

Can't argue with your evaluation of the corner-safety-olb trio and I see your point. I just don't think Smith can play with reckless abandon up the field anymore but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I also see Spam's view that he can play on the inside of the 34. To that all I can say is I guess it is possible but will have to see it to believe it.

And I appreciate that (doing the video) you do some great work with the video-editing. My message was to the people that watch 3 clips... point to the thing(s) Smith did well, then ignore the rest of the 1st as well as the other videos.

Great work bruh

I like how the OP argues with CL, when by his own admission he stopped watching the video after 3 plays. Why argue with someone who has no clue what the videos are about?

Of course W Smith is bad....he's been awful for 2 years now, possibly even more. But we can't just release him right now. We do need rotational players inside at the DE position. However, I think the Saints will release him this year, if they have someone who is younger. I'm not saying better, b/c that should be a given.

About playing inside.....W Smith used the bull rush lots of time from the edge. As a matter of fact, that's pretty much the dominant move he had, as an edge rusher. Inside that will change. Many times the OT slides to the outside picking up the edge rusher, and the guard then tackles the DE on a 3&4 scheme. That means the guard will have to stop the bull rush. Incidentally, that is their strength also.
Will W Smith be an effective DE in the 3&4? We'll see if he is still with the team, but I have my doubts.

About playing inside.....W Smith used the bull rush lots of time from the edge. As a matter of fact, that's pretty much the dominant move he had, as an edge rusher. Inside that will change. Many times the OT slides to the outside picking up the edge rusher, and the guard then tackles the DE on a 3&4 scheme. That means the guard will have to stop the bull rush. Incidentally, that is their strength also.
Will W Smith be an effective DE in the 3&4? We'll see if he is still with the team, but I have my doubts.

Well, if it's like Wade Phillips defense, Smith will be in the 3-tech as RDE with, I suppose, Galette as the JACK. Which means Smith's primary responsibility will be the B-gap there on the left side of the offense against, yeah, a guard. That said, I'm at least mildly optimistic, I think he's still quicker than most guards, and has the size and strength to hold up for a certain amount of downs every game in there.

I like how the OP argues with CL, when by his own admission he stopped watching the video after 3 plays. Why argue with someone who has no clue what the videos are about?

Of course W Smith is bad....he's been awful for 2 years now, possibly even more. But we can't just release him right now. We do need rotational players inside at the DE position. However, I think the Saints will release him this year, if they have someone who is younger. I'm not saying better, b/c that should be a given.

It's not just his bullrush, it's his 1st step quickness verses a guard. You may think he doesn't have it against an elite/athletic tackle, how does that quickness/bullrush combo work over a guard? Galette already has a pass rush edge on most tackles, what happens when they have to keep even minimal focus on him with Smith beating a guard. If Smith and Galette can be complimentary I'm loving this pass rush combination.

Will Smith's biggest problem is his weight..bottom line. Every year he has come in 10-15 lbs lower than the previous year he had a good to great year. The 2009 season he lost 10-15 lbs and you can see it with your eyes and with his play, I want to say he had 15 sacks that year. But the past few years you can see him getting bigger and bigger and slower too. He needs to shed some pounds and take a paycut or he can take a hike. Period.

It's not just his bullrush, it's his 1st step quickness verses a guard. You may think he doesn't have it against an elite/athletic tackle, how does that quickness/bullrush combo work over a guard? Galette already has a pass rush edge on most tackles, what happens when they have to keep even minimal focus on him with Smith beating a guard. If Smith and Galette can be complimentary I'm loving this pass rush combination.

I understand......and to his credit, W Smith faced the best OL man every time, as a RDE edge rusher, in the 4&3. By your own thinking, that job will be Galette's in the 3&4. Well, that opens up the question....just how good is Galette, when facing the best OLman every down? I have no answer for that, but W Smith was almost totally ineffective doing that job.

We'll have 2 players on the right side of our DL, who are question marks right now.....I hope both pan out....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom