Will Smith- lot of video (1 Viewer)

I am going to say this one more time and maybe some will get it. There are people in the NFL who are paid a lot of money to give their professional opinions. There are Saints coaches who are paid a lot of money to win games. They all generally agree that Smith is a good player. However there are fans that believe they know more, while they are not being paid to do the same job.

In addition, more often their opinion is completely contrary to the pros and truly misinformed. Can anyone please explain to me why a Saints coach or FO manager would falsify their opinion and keep Smith aroundknowing it may cost them their job if he wasn't still valuable to the team. If you really believe the coaching staff of the Saints are purposely or negligently giving Smith an incorrect evaluation, email them, and tell them so. Maybe they will hire you as a talent evaluator if you are that good. However, I just supsect you are wanabees just pretending.

These guys are staking their jobs and reputations on the line over their ability to put the best product on the field. Your only skin in the game is a few posts on this forum. Therefore, their opinions far outweigh yours and I will go with their 100% of the time because I am A SAINTS FAN who trusts their judgment 100% more than yours.

You can post all you want, bust your chops (so to speak), call me all the names you want, but to me your opinions are just tinkling symbols and sounding brass signifying nothing.

If you think the NFL is a purely blind, only skill driven league with no bias towards loyalty and veteran status of players then you are naive at best.

There have been literally dozens of issues that were spoken of on this board first that the team was slow to move on that ended up being the right move in the end. It's not at all unusual.

There are better, younger, and cheaper alternatives to him out there. If he can be kept on a one year deal at veteran minimum he'd be worth it but anything more than that should not be acceptable. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton have got to realize when to stop paying bloated players bloated contracts.

If you think the NFL is a purely blind, only skill driven league with no bias towards loyalty and veteran status of players then you are naive at best.

There have been literally dozens of issues that were spoken of on this board first that the team was slow to move on that ended up being the right move in the end. It's not at all unusual.

You mean like
Jason David
Josh Bullocks
just about every LB since the dome patrol
Reggie Bush not being a feature back in our offense
O'lay Kreutz
Jason Craft
The Shanle

Currently
Sedrick Ellis
Will Smith
Malcolm Jenkins
Mark Ingram

Like I've said before in several threads, I can't think of many players that everyone constantly debated about that ever turned out to be any quality. These guys get debated constantly on this forum and they typically get released a year too late but they never go on to do much of anything.

I will say the Payton era is much quicker to act than Haz was when he was here.

I am going to say this one more time and maybe some will get it. There are people in the NFL who are paid a lot of money to give their professional opinions. There are Saints coaches who are paid a lot of money to win games. They all generally agree that Smith is a good player. However there are fans that believe they know more, while they are not being paid to do the same job.

In addition, more often their opinion is completely contrary to the pros and truly misinformed. Can anyone please explain to me why a Saints coach or FO manager would falsify their opinion and keep Smith aroundknowing it may cost them their job if he wasn't still valuable to the team. If you really believe the coaching staff of the Saints are purposely or negligently giving Smith an incorrect evaluation, email them, and tell them so. Maybe they will hire you as a talent evaluator if you are that good. However, I just supsect you are wanabees just pretending.

These guys are staking their jobs and reputations on the line over their ability to put the best product on the field. Your only skin in the game is a few posts on this forum. Therefore, their opinions far outweigh yours and I will go with their 100% of the time because I am A SAINTS FAN who trusts their judgment 100% more than yours.

You can post all you want, bust your chops (so to speak), call me all the names you want, but to me your opinions are just tinkling symbols and sounding brass signifying nothing.

give it a rest man its a friggin message board. you don't even see the disconnect between reality and the tired argument you're trying to make. if coaches were such demigods of football every team would be perfect. stop berating members of this board for having an opinion that is not in line with your own. it cheapens the conversation all around. state your opinion and move on. if you can't handle the difference in opinions, ignore the thread. jeezus is that so hard? you're not even contributing to the debate you're just trying to belittle everyone who disagrees with you and tell them they shouldnt bother having an opinion because they're not as wise as a football coach. who cares? i'm here to talk saints football. so is everyone else.

The funny (or sad) thing about all of this is that we're not debating if Will Smith is still a beast anymore since he is clearly not. It's just debating on if he is still "useful", or if he is done. I would say he is done. I think he is the player that showed the least amount of effort last year based on that film.

I always thought Will Smith got held alot and never gets calls

I guess you gotta break through them holds and kill the head , GW tried to tell em

I always thought Will Smith got held alot and never gets calls

He did, 2006-2010 he was constantly held. 2012 he was rarely ever held, he no longer had the first step or burst that gave tackles trouble.

He did, 2006-2010 he was constantly held. 2012 he was rarely ever held, he no longer had the first step or burst that gave tackles trouble.

exactly. he also appears to have lost the use of his arms and part of his equilibrium in 2012. dude was steady knocked off balance.

He was playing in a scheme that nobody liked and his tackle numbers were almost identical to what they had been in the last few years, right around 60. And, if you look back to what he was doing in a scheme similar to what we will run this year, he was a solid player. Nobody is claiming he is elite or playmaker. The point is that he can and will be a solid contributor to the defense and it makes sense to keep him at the right salary. And, if he gets beat out by a young up and comer that's even better. But, it makes no sense to cut him now when he can at least be a solid contributor in the new scheme when you have no idea if you will have a young up and comer who's spot he will take.

Dude, how about his salary? He is getting paid like an elite DE, where is the production? Counts $14 mil on our cap, and we're gonna keep a "solid" player for $14 mil? His best days are long gone. I get tired of seeing these players have a couple good years, sign the big contract and then tank it for the rest of their career. He has been non-existant since 2009, enough already...

give it a rest man its a friggin message board. you don't even see the disconnect between reality and the tired argument you're trying to make. if coaches were such demigods of football every team would be perfect. stop berating members of this board for having an opinion that is not in line with your own. it cheapens the conversation all around. state your opinion and move on. if you can't handle the difference in opinions, ignore the thread. jeezus is that so hard? you're not even contributing to the debate you're just trying to belittle everyone who disagrees with you and tell them they shouldnt bother having an opinion because they're not as wise as a football coach. who cares? i'm here to talk saints football. so is everyone else.
Dude everyone here has a right to post their comments here about the Saints whether some like it or not. The guy who started this thread had the right to start this post just as much as the guy that you are complaining to had the right to disagree with it. Everyone here has a right to post their opinon.

Besides the guy that you are complaining to has valid point the Saints evaluation of Will Smith and why is he still being kept on the team. They (Saints) Front Office & Coaches know how to evaluate talent. I trust their opinon more than anyone else especially when they have a SuperBowl win behind it and several postseason wins along with it.

Dude, how about his salary? He is getting paid like an elite DE, where is the production? Counts $14 mil on our cap, and we're gonna keep a "solid" player for $14 mil? His best days are long gone. I get tired of seeing these players have a couple good years, sign the big contract and then tank it for the rest of their career. He has been non-existant since 2009, enough already...

Aren't they restructuring Smith contract? I don't think any quality team would pick up Smith overpriced contract.

The funniest thing is I don't even have an opinion. I don't have an opinion as such because I don't have enough knowledge about the performance of any player to express one. If you will notice I have not expressed opinion to my knowledge about Smith. However, I do know how to make a rational argument and make it stick. I am not sorry though that I am challenging a few people here that don't have any basis for their point of view especially when their opinion runs counter to the consensus of professional opinions. All opinion should be based on facts not some half baked video were nothing concrete can be discerned.

I would admit that the evidence of production and salary may be out of line. That is a fact. However, there are reports that he is restructuring his contract and we shall have to wait and see.

The funniest thing is I don't even have an opinion.

Then what are you doing here?

Anyone who even casually watches this team has a right to have an opinion on the players' on field performance. You don't need to be a football guru talent evaluator genius professional scout (as you seem to think is the requirement) to think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom