Will Smith (1 Viewer)

I've stopped trying to guess about off season moves years ago. I'm sure there are so many reasons that we'll never know as to why a player is retained or cut.
Saints coaches and management are getting paid a mint to determine which players will fit the best and each player knows that he will not just be handed the job at his position but will have to be better than new guys who want his job.

Thus if the GM & coaches feel any player is the best fit for the team (all things being considered), I'm in their corner.

With regard to W Smith, I have noticed a trend. Something he does in TC. He is really tearing it up in TC. That is his season he needs to excel. Last TC wasn't the first one....he's been doing it for the past 3 season, that I remember, possibly even longer.

When TC starts, and fans flock to the TC, watch how almost all who attend the practice rave about W Smith, and how great shape he is in. He is fast, and eager, and makes a ton of plays, and everybody thinks a world of him. That same attitude goes on for the most part of TC, but when the real bullets start flying, W Smith just shuts it down. He is nowhere, but few notices his shortcomings......why? Probably having all those positive images of TC, the great majority of fans think that his poor showing is just temporary.

That goes on through out the season, but towards the end of season, fans are openly rebelling, demanding that the Saints cut him. Many Saints fans want him out, and this is the prime time to show their displeasure with his play. This is the time W Smith lays low, and reconstructs his contract quietly.

Then the next TC rolls around, and everything starts again...W Smith is again a beast in TC, and the majority of fans are wowed once again through out TC. I've heard this every TC for the past 3 years, but maybe even longer, I just don't remember that far back. However, once the regular season starts, W Smith doesn't produce much, it is quite clear he has almost nothing left in the tank, but he always manages to make till the next TC.......

Now I said this at that time, but many fans live by the present, and quite a few fans argued that W Smith is good, probably the best DE on the line, which is absurd. I bet this year won't be any different.

The sad part is, the coaches buy into this too....and that's how W Smith manages to survive season after season. It is his TC production which carries him through.

Will Smith has seen better days. Personally, I think he should be cut outright, as he hasn't produced adequately for 2 straight seasons. He definitely doesn't deserve starter's money anymore. I'm hoping that the "restructure" Loomis offers Smith is a huge pay cut.

Then again, he has gotten bigger and slower. So maybe a move to a 3-4 DE, where speed is less of an issue will help. He simply doesn't have the same quickness he once did, so maybe this will help him get a few more years out of his body.

will smith fits in a 3-4 and deserves to restructure before he is released

hes earned that

some fans have no respect for players that have poured everything into this franchise

hes not overweight or out of shape like people claim. he is a bigger end that can play in a 3-4 though

Some people just red thumb to red thumb. I don't know about some of yall but it turned my stomach watching Rickey Jackson wear a 49er uniform and be a starter/contributor on a championship team. Sam Mills was an All Pro...ALL PRO...with the Panthers at age 37. I don't know if Vilma or Fresh Prince will still have productive years left after this but I, for one, am tired of seeing cornerstones of our franchise tossed aside because everyone thought they were "done" to see them go on and still be contributors to winning teams. If this coaching staff thinks these guys can still play then I am down. Everyone involved realizes it needs to be at reduced salaries but they have indeed earned that right.

He is a cornerstone, but he won't make the amount he's supposed to make. FO has to clear his current contract, take the cap hit, and then work on a new deal... He has been well payed during his career, it's time to show some support for the franchise. I also believe he is best suited as a backup at this point.

Is there any benefit for us to release him later? or is it all the same financial figures no matter when?
Yes. We get to see him in the new system in training camp. There is no downside to signing him to a short-term inexpensive contract. If he is worse than all the other DEs in camp, then he gets cut.

With regard to W Smith, I have noticed a trend. Something he does in TC. He is really tearing it up in TC. That is his season he needs to excel. Last TC wasn't the first one....he's been doing it for the past 3 season, that I remember, possibly even longer.

When TC starts, and fans flock to the TC, watch how almost all who attend the practice rave about W Smith, and how great shape he is in. He is fast, and eager, and makes a ton of plays, and everybody thinks a world of him. That same attitude goes on for the most part of TC, but when the real bullets start flying, W Smith just shuts it down. He is nowhere, but few notices his shortcomings......why? Probably having all those positive images of TC, the great majority of fans think that his poor showing is just temporary.

That goes on through out the season, but towards the end of season, fans are openly rebelling, demanding that the Saints cut him. Many Saints fans want him out, and this is the prime time to show their displeasure with his play. This is the time W Smith lays low, and reconstructs his contract quietly.

Then the next TC rolls around, and everything starts again...W Smith is again a beast in TC, and the majority of fans are wowed once again through out TC. I've heard this every TC for the past 3 years, but maybe even longer, I just don't remember that far back. However, once the regular season starts, W Smith doesn't produce much, it is quite clear he has almost nothing left in the tank, but he always manages to make till the next TC.......

Now I said this at that time, but many fans live by the present, and quite a few fans argued that W Smith is good, probably the best DE on the line, which is absurd. I bet this year won't be any different.

The sad part is, the coaches buy into this too....and that's how W Smith manages to survive season after season. It is his TC production which carries him through.

And some fans still think he's playing like he was in his prime. Going on and on a bout him being a Pro Bowler way back in the day and that somehow he's earned the right to continue to sleepwalk his way through another season based on what he did, what 4 seasons ago.

And it seems like Sean Payton counts himself among those fans.

And some fans still think he's playing like he was in his prime. Going on and on a bout him being a Pro Bowler way back in the day and that somehow he's earned the right to continue to sleepwalk his way through another season based on what he did, what 4 seasons ago.

And it seems like Sean Payton counts himself among those fans.

Yea...that Sean Payton guy...what a dummy for keeping these guys around

It's not like he's the best coach in saints history or anything

This should be stickied at the top of the forum with the thread titled "realistic expectations for Will Smith"

I think its time to part with a few players on D, instead of trying to fit them in yet another defensive coordinaters scheme...

True... But why go thur the trouble of switching from the 4-3 defense to 3-4 in the first place if the problem is with the players?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom