Will social issues destroy sports? (1 Viewer)

I didn't see Doolittle's thoughts in this thread - and I think they belong here.

This is a social issue, and Sean Doolittle had this about a week ago - I know it was posted in another thread - but it's inspiring and relevant. And, personally, I applaud Doolittle for promoting this and sending a message that I think needs to be heard.

Sports, imo, played a huge role in the COVID planning for the country early on. When the NBA postponed its season, that seemed to be the first real thing that contributed to the response and seriousness that followed.

It does, like, bring to mind kind of where we're at in our response to this as a country. Like, we're trying to bring baseball back during a pandemic that's killed 130,000 people [in the U.S.] We're way worse off as a country than where we were in March when we shut this thing down. And like, look at where other developed countries are in their response to this. We haven't done any of the things that other countries have done to bring sports back. Sports are like the reward of a functional society, and we're trying to just bring it back, even though we've taken none of the steps to flatten the curve, whatever you want to say.

"We did flatten the curve for a little bit, but we didn't use that time to do anything productive. We just opened back up for Memorial Day. We decided we're done with it. Like, if there aren't sports, it's gonna be because people are not wearing masks because the response to this has been so politicized.

I want sports back, badly. But it's up to US - not them - to make this possible.

And our response has, essentially, been that we don't really want it back. Not enough to skip a trip to the bar, skip a night out, wear a mask, etc.

Actually, it did make a dent. The league has lost a lot of fans. But, that's not all related the the social justice stuff. Some of it can be attributed to the poor product on the field. The issues with the refs, among other things.

I don't know that's true. The TV ratings dropped pretty sharply between 2016 and 2017. But, it's been climbing steadily since then.

I don't know that's true. The TV ratings dropped pretty sharply between 2016 and 2017. But, it's been climbing steadily since then.

I guess. But some of that is regional. It's growing in some areas and not so much in others.

Sports is an escape from police brutality, politics, etc.

Yes, most athletes are Black people who have been affected by police brutality, but will the politics and Brees, Malcolm Jenkins, etc. destroy sports, or is it not a big issue as expected?
No, it won't. Look back earlier in this thread. I posted a pic of Tommie Smith and John Carlos giving the black power salute on
the Olympic podium. I was alive when it happened, it shook old and antiquated beliefs to their knees. If this didn't destroy
sports, nothing will.

You should probably understand the difference between anecdotal and statistical evidence and how that relates to the argument before posting in such a boastful manner.

But based on your covid comment, simple statistics may be a bit of a reach for you.

Ok then let me explain. Law enforcement is not going to be able to be truly effective until the gangs are gone. Statistics can go both ways. I’m sure many police forces have use stats as a way to focus on certain neighborhoods but not really in the trenches to see why those crimes are rising. Not all of it is gang related but because a good majority of it is in certain areas, then all of the crimes in the communities get treated the same. That means a military type exercise because to them it means us vs domestic gangs. The one on one human interaction between police and the neighborhoods has been eradicated only because of gangs.

All i am trying to saying the stats goes both ways and does more harm than good. We need more human to human interaction in the streets and it will not happen as long as the gangs are running everything.

Stats don’t “go both ways”. That implies an equivalency that doesn’t exist. It’s a disingenuous and largely unfalsifiable (hence its charm) to invalidate something that undermines an opposing point, that you can’t really do any other way.

and then, you follow up the attempted invalidation - not with more science or data or facts (because you can’t) -by countering with “Ive seen it in Memphis.”

you also presume that “stats” and human interaction are mutually exclusive. They are not. And, frankly, it’s a weird position to take.

fourth, you say you’re “sure many police forces use statistics...” which means you don’t know. It’s just another guess.

I don’t mind being called out or questioned for what I post. But you came in pretty hot and there’s nothing to it. You y’all about dates, and there is literally information that’s as recent as this month.

I still have no clue what your goal is.

are gangs a problem?

Yes.

Are they the only problem? Not even close.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom