Speculation Will Taysom Hill replace Trautman as a TE2/H-back? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Taysom Hill is 6’ 2” 220
Trautman is 6’ 5” 253

end of discussion

bernnjulie

Rookie
Reaction score
Man. I was going to start a thread about Trautman but didn't want to be "that guy". I know a lot of people are high on him. I just never understood why? I have yet to see anything to get excited about.

IMHO, this team is lacking a real TE. I do wish he turns out to be special, but nothing I've seen leads me to believe he will. Flame away if you must.

Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers....how is he a starter for Green Bay?

Trautman was 15 for 16 last year with 1 TD. The couple of drops he had today are not the norm for him. Just like today's game is not the norm for Rodgers. I think both will be OK next week.

Last edited:

1K SPORT

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers was terri

Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers....how is he a starter for Green Bay?

Trautman was 15 for 16 last year with 1 TD. The couple of drops he had today are not the norm for him. Just like today's game is not the norm for Rodgers. I think both will be OK next week.
Cool! I'll count you as a Troutman fan. I hope I'm proven wrong. Let's check back in a few years. I see him as "serviceable" at best. Today, almost has me questioning that...

Reaction score
Don't think we can give up on him just yet but yeah he's gotta do better. Don't think it's a Jared Cook situation, he's just young but he's gotta do better, young or not.

Walter White

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why you can't give up on him. Juwan may surpass him as the #1 catching TE but the kid can block for sure.

You know who else does a good job at blocking, Callaway.

Now you're on to something.

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trautman picked the absolute best game to struggle with the dropsies. He'll be fine, he's a good player and played well today minutes the obvious drops.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
His blocking was fine, his hands were terrible today, and Griffin looks like the Hback in the offense. J. Johnson may threaten Trautman for receiving options but Hill is no threat to him.

Just a bad game by Trautman, Payton may get him the ball early next week to let him know he's still has confidence in him

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trautman missed catches on some wide open passes that could have gone for first downs. He was outplayed by Johnson who should be TE1.

I saw Taysom throw some pretty good blocks in the run game. I wouldn’t use him as a pass blocker but I also wouldn’t count on Trautman for that. In certain situations and sets I would like to see Taysom play more H back as a run, pass, receiving threat. He could even catch some screens for potential big plays. I’m not giving up on Trautman I just think we get more value with Taysom.

As a side note it’s good to see Payton more scheme focused than QB focused as he was with Drew. It makes the offense leas predictable. Drew could just hit those seam routes all game and it puts a lot of pressure on the QB pre and post snap to rely on those calls Especially with Thomas out.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens when he gets back. Kamara could get more targets with Thomas on the field and so should Callaway/Harris.
We run a balanced run/pass attack. Trautman is the best combination of blocking and pass-catching that we have in a Tight End. He had a bad game but he will be a good one.

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It's all good. Trautman is still our most balanced TE. I'd be worried if it becomes a recurring problem but I won't panic after one game. He runs really good routes and blocks well.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
If he keeps dropping passes in week 3 then maybe Payton gives Taysom more reps but after one game, no.

Reaction score
Man. I was going to start a thread about Trautman but didn't want to be "that guy". I know a lot of people are high on him. I just never understood why? I have yet to see anything to get excited about.

IMHO, this team is lacking a real TE. I do wish he turns out to be special, but nothing I've seen leads me to believe he will. Flame away if you must.
A tight end doesn't need to be replaced simply because he isn't special. All he needs to be is a solid starter. It's not like he was picked #4 in the draft as the Falcons did with their TE.

sleepingbunch

NOLA/ATX/San Antone Saint
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe we were hoping Trautman would be the Jared Cook replacement, but we'll have to settle for him being the Josh Hill replacement. The man can block, for sure. Might be TE2 for a very long time just due to his blocking skill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom