Speculation Will Taysom Hill replace Trautman as a TE2/H-back? (1 Viewer)

I really meant for this to be more of a Taysom Hill thread but I go with the flow. Trautman can be a solid player but won’t turn into a feature player.

Whereas I think Hill can be explosive from the H back set if teams decide to put a linebacker on him or if they go small with an extra DB the run game could open up.

Man. I was going to start a thread about Trautman but didn't want to be "that guy". I know a lot of people are high on him. I just never understood why? I have yet to see anything to get excited about.

IMHO, this team is lacking a real TE. I do wish he turns out to be special, but nothing I've seen leads me to believe he will. Flame away if you must.

Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers....how is he a starter for Green Bay?

Trautman was 15 for 16 last year with 1 TD. The couple of drops he had today are not the norm for him. Just like today's game is not the norm for Rodgers. I think both will be OK next week.

Last edited:
Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers was terri

Holy cow, that guy Aaron Rodgers....how is he a starter for Green Bay?

Trautman was 15 for 16 last year with 1 TD. The couple of drops he had today are not the norm for him. Just like today's game is not the norm for Rodgers. I think both will be OK next week.
Cool! I'll count you as a Troutman fan. I hope I'm proven wrong. Let's check back in a few years. I see him as "serviceable" at best. Today, almost has me questioning that...

Don't think we can give up on him just yet but yeah he's gotta do better. Don't think it's a Jared Cook situation, he's just young but he's gotta do better, young or not.

Trautman picked the absolute best game to struggle with the dropsies. He'll be fine, he's a good player and played well today minutes the obvious drops.

His blocking was fine, his hands were terrible today, and Griffin looks like the Hback in the offense. J. Johnson may threaten Trautman for receiving options but Hill is no threat to him.

Just a bad game by Trautman, Payton may get him the ball early next week to let him know he's still has confidence in him

Last edited:
Trautman missed catches on some wide open passes that could have gone for first downs. He was outplayed by Johnson who should be TE1.

I saw Taysom throw some pretty good blocks in the run game. I wouldn’t use him as a pass blocker but I also wouldn’t count on Trautman for that. In certain situations and sets I would like to see Taysom play more H back as a run, pass, receiving threat. He could even catch some screens for potential big plays. I’m not giving up on Trautman I just think we get more value with Taysom.

As a side note it’s good to see Payton more scheme focused than QB focused as he was with Drew. It makes the offense leas predictable. Drew could just hit those seam routes all game and it puts a lot of pressure on the QB pre and post snap to rely on those calls Especially with Thomas out.
It’s going to be interesting to see what happens when he gets back. Kamara could get more targets with Thomas on the field and so should Callaway/Harris.
We run a balanced run/pass attack. Trautman is the best combination of blocking and pass-catching that we have in a Tight End. He had a bad game but he will be a good one.

It's all good. Trautman is still our most balanced TE. I'd be worried if it becomes a recurring problem but I won't panic after one game. He runs really good routes and blocks well.

If he keeps dropping passes in week 3 then maybe Payton gives Taysom more reps but after one game, no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom