Will the 2020 season be canceled? (1 Viewer)

Will the 2020 season be cancelled?

• Yes

• No

• Delayed

Results are only viewable after voting.
We may be surprised at how quickly sports is normalized. Good signs. The natives are getting restless, and the authorities won't be able to hold them back. They started to trickle out a couple of weeks ago, more last week, more this week. It will soon be a flood, then a tsunami. The government can't "save" people who don't want to be saved. It's human nature to normalize things, and the rush has begun.
I said it a long time ago that the average person sees this as a numbers game. The more that folks view the risk of infection as being low, the more they will want their life back. But if the number of new cases (and deaths) start to rise again, they will/may begin to see themselves (and loved ones) as being at a greater risk for getting the virus.

But from the reports I'm hearing about the lack of masks being used in public places, fewer & fewer people are actually concerned about being a potential spreader of the virus. I've actually heard people say that they would feel ridiculous with a mask on while they assume they are Covid-free. Frankly within the next month or so we'll all know whether they were right or wrong, because by then most people will be living their lives much as they did prior to this pandemic. Any who may get the virus during the 'reopening' will be angry that more wasn't done to ensure the public's safety. And those who don't get the virus will be angry that there lives & livelihoods were destroyed for an 'overreaction' by the scientific & medical communities.

Since this virus affects people so differently, there is absolutely no way the authorities can win no matter what course they take, because either way people are going to suffer by the decisions being made. And ultimately everyone is going to feel that things could have been handled better no matter which side of the issue you personally support.

If they never find an effective vaccine for this virus (or any other aggressive one like Covid-19), would that eliminate spectator sports as we know it for all times? :unsure:

Ouch. What an unsettling thought. Whether its next year or 2, I suspect the people will build up antibodies so that it's more like the normal flu. Or I sure hope so!

Ouch. What an unsettling thought. Whether its next year or 2, I suspect the people will build up antibodies so that it's more like the normal flu. Or I sure hope so!
From what I've read, this Covid-19 virus is not like the flu. It can change quicker than a person can build antibodies to fight it... which also makes it tough to develop an effective vaccine for it.

But I personally don't know if that is correct. :unsure:

From what I've read, this Covid-19 virus is not like the flu. It can change quicker than a person can build antibodies to fight it... which also makes it tough to develop an effective vaccine for it.

But I personally don't know if that is correct. :unsure:
Even if true.... at some point, everyone will get it. All is good after that. It's the in between that is going to suck. Sweden is trying out my method right now..... hold your breath.

Fear not the NFL, our federal, state, and local politicians will fight it out for the holy cause of the mighty dollar; there will be football.(JMO)

Full season.

By the time the critical part of the season rolls around, counsel will have figured out a way to mitigate the legal and financial liabilities of playing enough to offset the losses that would be associated with not playing - with or without fans in the stands...

...Elected officials? They're public servants, and there's an election riiiight around the corner. The public in general has been asked to stay at home only 2-3 weeks, and most are already on the verge of pulling their hair out...

...If the nation wants football, and frankly, if they NEED football in the same way NOLA needed the Saints after Katrina, elected officials will do as they are told and serve up football.

Full season.

No season. NFL will try to push forward but ultimately they won't be able to stand up to public sentiment and local governments. All it will take is one NFL state saying "no games will be played here" and it's over, similar to when Duke said "we're not going to March Madness" and the tournament got shut down an hour later.

If CA or NY say no football, it's not happening. And they're both going to say no football.

Start the grieving process by now and you'll be well adjusted by when preseason would have been.
Just...LOL.

Last edited:
No season. NFL will try to push forward but ultimately they won't be able to stand up to public sentiment and local governments. All it will take is one NFL state saying "no games will be played here" and it's over, similar to when Duke said "we're not going to March Madness" and the tournament got shut down an hour later.

If CA or NY say no football, it's not happening. And they're both going to say no football.

Start the grieving process by now and you'll be well adjusted by when preseason would have been.

Just...LOL.
You prematurely LOL'd Loose Cannon's post. Newsome and Cuomo are putting the onus on the sports leagues to cancel or postpone their own seasons, so the leagues can't tell their irate fan(atics) that it's the governors' fault. Just watch and see.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

You prematurely LOL'd Loose Cannon's post. Newsome and Cuomo are putting the onus on the sports leagues to cancel or postpone their own seasons, so the leagues can't tell their irate fan(atics) that it's the governors' fault. Just watch and see.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Cali and NY just gave the NFL to continue. I don’t see how they cancel now.

Cali and NY just gave the NFL to continue. I don’t see how they cancel now.
As I said in another thread, that's the easy part. Now the NFL has to come up with a feasible plan to do it without fans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom