Will the 2020 season be canceled? (1 Viewer)

Will the 2020 season be cancelled?

• Yes

• No

• Delayed

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted cancelled, but still way to early to tell.

I am pretty much up on things and know people who know a lot about this issue, so the outcome in the end is one that I am pretty confident of, that being that we will beat this virus...eventually.

The timing of when we beat the virus is still very much up in the air. This is not like "the flu" it is a different type of virus, closer to the common cold in many ways, but even deadlier than the flu. A "vaccine" has still not been developed for the common cold, but the amount of money and scientific resources being thrown at this at all levels and around the globe is staggering. The best medical research scientists and research institutions (public and private) are in the USA, there are also very good institutions in Europe and Asian that are on this.

Treatments using drugs that are currently used for other conditions have been tried and are being tried on this virus now. Some appear promising. These treatments will continue to ramp up and the use of formerly approved medicines, things that have proven relatively safe for other conditions, will be used first on this virus. The next step in "treatment" will be pseudo-vaccines. Not "real" vaccines but tailored antibody treatments designed to fight this particular virus. This will probably start to be available in the Summer, but there is no way to say for sure. The "final" step will be a true vaccine, which will take AT LEAST another six months to maybe a year or more to be widely available. I think, and this is more of a guess than anything else, that "vaccines" will be tried out by the early Fall. These will be true vaccines that can prevent someone from getting the virus. Once these vaccines have been proven to be effective and they are widely administered, sorry ant-vaxxers, you will get a shot or stay in isolation without a job, then things will get back to normal. I don't see that happening until late in 2020, at the earliest. Normal.....that means football and other sports can happen, that means large crowds can once again get together.

So, I voted cancelled, but I thing much delayed and a shorter season would be possible. Just Division games, six game "season" (or Division games and two more games against non-division same place finishers from last year, so eight games) and playoffs, season starting in November...that may be possible. I don't think a 16 game schedule, starting on time, is remotely possible given what we know right now.

Cancelled...I’m hopeful but this is probably going to stretch into the end of the year/next year before I think it’s considered safe for people to come together safely.

Entirely possible the season is shortened and we see only a half-season’s worth of games. Posted in another thread on this topic that we could see a modified playoff scanerio akin to the 1982 strike-shortened season. Teams were seeded based on straight-up record instead of whether they won their division or not.

If everyone follows the rules, we can get a handle on it quickly . But some don't want to listen.
Martial law is coming soon...it's inevitable.
Martial law is virtually impossible to enforce and to manage. Not enough policing and national guard members. Maybe back in the day. Not in today's world. No shot. A lot of police are NG members to boot. Not going to happen.

In the gym yesterday, two college kids with suntans showed up after being out for a week plus. Pete asked them where they were and they cockily bragged, "South Padre at Spring Break Fest!" Pete asked it is was crowded and they crowed, "Packed with Babes." That's about 50,000 to 75,000 college and high school kids. Pete told them to get out of the gym, stay out for a month and try to look themselves in the mirror and grow-up real quick. Then he shut the gym down for deep cleaning.
Swimmer....I must ask though. What were you doing at the gym, to begin with? All gyms and health clubs shutdown in the New Orleans area. What's up with that, in your area, Austin I believe?

OK, let’s say we are 50-50 on a 2020 NFL Season actually happening.
I think a limited season is possible, but for so many reasons mentioned earlier, I do think there’s a very high likelihood it remains canceled with free agency frozen until March 2021 and another supplemental draft next Spring for those not wanting to return to their extended NCAA options.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread:
But what is the best case scenario for the Saints and their HOF but older and perhaps more rusty 42 year old QB?
If he even wants to play in 18 months from now, what could we expect ?

Bridgewater will still be under contract in Carolina and of course T.Hill will be 30 and totally unproven. I am personally hopeful we can get Andy Dalton or maybe even Cam Newton under some kind of contract soon, in case of the likely possibility we don’t see professional football for another 18 months.

So what would happen if there is no 2020 season? All contracts roll over a year, so we'd have the same squad in 2021?

There's no way the NFL gives up all that money. We'd have to see an infection and death rate increasing well into the summer still going up for them to take that step. Not to mention the positive impact this will have on the economy and national confidence in the well being of the new world we all live in. The NFL will want to be a part of the recovery, like in 9/11.

It has been almost two weeks since this original thread started. Has your opinion changed based on recent events? I originally thought the season would be delayed and then shortened. Now I think it might be cancelled. I think we're in this for at least 6 more months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom