Will the 2020 season be canceled? (1 Viewer)

Will the 2020 season be cancelled?

• Yes

• No

• Delayed

Results are only viewable after voting.
it just doesn't make for a solid argument
You're absolutely making no sense. So when I cite a number put out by a very questionable group known to be lying, then question those very numbers, somehow that's not a solid argument? I gotta get off this board for a while. This is just getting absurd. You have a nice day.

No season. NFL will try to push forward but ultimately they won't be able to stand up to public sentiment and local governments. All it will take is one NFL state saying "no games will be played here" and it's over, similar to when Duke said "we're not going to March Madness" and the tournament got shut down an hour later.

If CA or NY say no football, it's not happening. And they're both going to say no football.

Start the grieving process by now and you'll be well adjusted by when preseason would have been.

The people of this country call the shots, and as time goes along and money starts running out and more and more videos of empty hospitals keep making the rounds on social media, people will start doing the math and realize that 240,000 really isn't that big of a number in a nation of 329 million. Especially when more than 9 million per year die of cancer, 1.6 million per year die of diabetes, 630,000 die of heart disease, and 50,000-60,000 will likely die from influenza. We're not banning pesticides on food, the injection of everything we eat and drink with ten spoonfuls of sugar, or fast-food restaurants - what makes you think that the government is going to be able to electively force half the country into poverty over coronavirus?

Just watch and see what happens.

This is the ignorance that has us where we are right now. And based on who you are upvoting, I suspect your speculation is a personal projection of your opinion, no?

A mentality that denied the diseases existence and capabilities for months and now we have a thousand people dead a day because of that ignorance. And the same people are now talking about how we should just go on like normal In a month or two.

IF YOU DO NOT GET THE VIRUS UNDER CONTROL THE UPPER LIMIT IS MILLIONS DEAD.

Do you not grasp this? This is a virus without a cure or vaccine that spreads through contact and can survive in the air for hours. Do you think will magically stop if people just stop thinking about it after a couple months and try and pretend it’s business as usual? Pack stadiums, pack gyms, pack festivals, pack airports?

329 million, do the damn math! This disease not under control kills more than all your statistics combined if it truly spreads nationwide and infects, say, 2/3rds of people. And at that rate the healthcare system basically collapses and the fatality rate sky rockets, not just from covid but from ALL serious conditions. As the disease takes resources away from all sorts of other care and also burdens the workers themselves as they get sick. So you can likely tack on tens of thousands to the rest of your numbers as well. And in that environment, no one is going to be packing stadiums voluntarily anyways.

Last edited:
Okay. I'm citing the numbers china is reporting. So yes, you can cite numbers and question their validity at the same time. Or is that not allowed today? Never know.
You are not being very clear is the problem.

You: The numbers in China say this wont flare back up.

You: we can’t trust the numbers in China.

If China’s numbers aren’t to be trusted, how are they simultaneously capable of propping up an argument, any argument? Seems problematic, No?

You are not being very clear is the problem.

You: The numbers in China say this wont flare back up.

You: we can’t trust the numbers in China.

If China’s numbers aren’t to be trusted, how are they simultaneously capable of propping up an argument, any argument? Seems problematic, No?
this is what i meant

This is the ignorance that has us where we are right now. And based on who you are upvoting, I suspect your speculation is a personal projection of your opinion, no?

My speculation is a projection of what I think will happen, not necessarily what I think should happen. You can make what you want of my upvoting. I like balance in opinions and sometimes it's nice to see people willing to offer a positive opinion in the face of know-it-all doom-shovelers.

I do think we should take this week by week, month by month, and try to push forward towards normalcy when we can. Making a decision to cancel a season five months in advance would be foolish, in my opinion.

I read the entire article, which concluded by once again floating that laughable metric to essentially summarize that shutting down displaces less GDP. A little research into the backgrounds and social media accounts of the contributors to that piece is pretty revealing - let's just say that they're far from unbiased.

Maybe I haven't done a good enough job of communicating, but the subject of this thread is asking us to speculate as to what will happen, not what has happened or even what should happen. It feels like you are expressing what you and many others feel should happen, and you might very well be right about that at the end of the day. Nobody really knows. I am reflecting what I see and hear and believe to be true about the people in this country, which is apparently a lesser opinion than what you have of our society. The 40-50 people I previously mentioned seeing on a daily basis are not the same people - they are different people both from the region and those who are passing through travelling on a busy state highway. Over the past few weeks, given the diversity of people that pass through, it's become a pretty solid sample size. There is an overwhelming majority that aren't going to stand for being cooped up much longer. The population calls the shots in this country.

I'll be back to revisit this thread in a few months and will eat my crow if I am wrong. Will you?
Bias is everywhere and every media outlet has a particular leaning. Politico and the Wash Post are about as middle of the road that you will find but that's another story. No one wants to lose money, or be pseudo locked in their houses for months. Like most people around the world I do not know how this will play out in a couple of months. That is why use sources from reputable outlets. To be clear, I am not making a prediction about what will happen or what I want to happen. Logistically I just don't know how we get from where we are today to having sports events with thousands of people by September.

The political and economic elite calls the shots in this country. If you don't understand that then this is a pointless discussion.

I'll gladly admit that I am wrong, if I've said something incorrect.

Oh ya, you still have no sources to back up your claims.

My speculation is a projection of what I think will happen, not necessarily what I think should happen. You can make what you want of my upvoting. I like balance in opinions and sometimes it's nice to see people willing to offer a positive opinion in the face of know-it-all doom-shovelers.

I do think we should take this week by week, month by month, and try to push forward towards normalcy when we can. Making a decision to cancel a season five months in advance would be foolish, in my opinion.

Your upvotes seem to be used exclusively for downplayers and reality denialisms, and you personally leaned on the fallacy of cancer as if people will respond to a pandemic like they will that, when this is not that, but anyways...

Unless the virus is gone, and gone for some time, it wont happen, period. There is no just going back to normal in a pandemic like this until there is a cure or vaccine, and crowd immunity in a country like this likely means millions dead and much of the economy/Healthcare system in collapse.

Unless you contest the points I laid out in that post and this, what you say is just not possible. People may lax up out of frustration, but business as usual is not possible until one of those three things happens.

And based on the growth patterns and how the federal government, leaders in most states, most cities, have been habitually behind the curve, an on-time season, Likely any season, seems highly unlikely barring a miracle cure. As Florida has done everything wrong so far, and their peak is probably a month or two off. And it will likely be very bad. So does the NFL just skip Florida this year? If New York is still not comfortable allowing major team sports, even in an empty stadium, or non-essential travel is banned from New York by Wisconsin, how does the NFL get around that?

Your upvotes seem to be used exclusively for downplayers and reality denialisms, and you personally leaned on the fallacy of cancer as if people will respond to a pandemic like they will that, when this is not that, but anyways...

Unless the virus is gone, and gone for some time, it wont happen, period. There is no just going back to normal in a pandemic like this until there is a cure or vaccine, and crowd immunity in a country like this likely means millions dead and much of the economy/Healthcare system in collapse.

Unless you contest the points I laid out in that post and this, what you say is just not possible. People may lax up out of frustration, but business as usual is not possible until one of those three things happens.

And based on the growth patterns and how the federal government, leaders in most states, most cities, have been habitually behind the curve, an on-time season, Likely any season, seems highly unlikely barring a miracle cure. As Florida has done everything wrong so far, and their peak is probably a month or two off. And it will likely be very bad. So does the NFL just skip Florida this year? If New York is still not comfortable allowing major team sports, even in an empty stadium, or non-essential travel is banned from New York by Wisconsin, how does the NFL get around that?

Enjoyed much of your post, however ‘reality denialism’ is very subjective. And that’s not even debatable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom