Will the FA be enough if we get (1 Viewer)

Superfan

45th
Reaction score
CB Nate Clements Bills

LB Donnie edwards Chargers

Sigh C.Grant

Draft a MLB and DT in first 2 rds?

will this be enough to fix our Defense

also maybe T.Gonzales TE

Surviving Saint

NFL Fan
Reaction score
Its possible but I say draft a TE. Gonzo will want to get paid $$$. DE is getting up there so we would have to pay him a nice chunk also. I could be wrong but we could draft a LB that could start immediately also. I would be all for signing DE but not for a lot of money.

OP

Superfan

45th
Reaction score
i think this is possible hopefully we get these guys signed.

i think if we do this we will be superbowl bound.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I don't think signing Donnie Edwards will be in the plans. Edwards will be 34 next spring. You guys are screaming to get a young Cb because Thomas is too old yet he is younger than Edwards, I don't get it.

If we signed Tony Gonzalez and Nate Clements this team would instanly be 3 games better. If we drafted Patrick Willis and then just took the best player available the rest of the way through I would think we would have an offseason to remember.

The only problem with this is their are 31 other teams that will all be interested in Clements. There are not many top tier cb's in the NFL and they rarely hit the Free Agency market so I have a very good feeling that Clements will be seeing record money for his position.

Re-signing Grant is an absolute must if this team wants to get better.

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do the Saints do if they win the Super Bowl this year? Do they need Donnie Edwards and Nate Clements and Tony Gonzales?

Surviving Saint

NFL Fan
Reaction score
We get a draft like we had this year and I see no reason we dont make the SB. Of course I know we wont be picking in The top 15 but if we can draft the type of players we got this year and sign some decent free agents we should be golden.

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sign:
Clements
Edwards
One of the free agent TE's(Graham or Johnson)

Draft:
1st-DT
2nd-CB or WR

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
First things first resign Grant Hollis Thomas Stinch and and Shanle

Briggs or Edwards and Clements and a TE

LB or CB in the first
LB or CB in second
DT in third
WR with other third
Depth on the lines the rest of the way

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Edwards would be a waste of cap space. There will be younger studs out there for half the price that can help us for the next 5 years. Not 1 and half (and he'll probably get injured at his age).

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Donnie Edwards - 9 games 72 tackles, 1 sack, 2 INT
Mark Simoneau - 9 games, 36 tackles, 0 sack, 0 INT
Brian Urlacher - 9 games, 75 tackles, 0 sack. 1 INT

Edwards hasn't missed a game since 1996.

Yeah I think I'd sign him. He might be 33 but he's still producing like a top MLB.

Last edited:

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's hope the Saints dont win the Super Bowl this year so we can have a higher draft pick :ezbill:

Reaction score
I don't think signing Donnie Edwards will be in the plans. Edwards will be 34 next spring. You guys are screaming to get a young Cb because Thomas is too old yet he is younger than Edwards, I don't get it.
The diff is that Donnie Edwards doesn't play like he is 33/34. Not sayin i would rather him over a younger guy that can comein here and do some damage. But i would not be mad at all to get Donnie here because no matter his age, he doesn't play like it and i dont see that changing for the next 2 or 3 years.

thundar1084

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
CB and MLB have to be the top 2 priorties the Saints. We've given up too many big plays this season already. Both of these positions can be addressed in the draft. With the Saints needing to resign Grant I don't think we'll be looking for BIG ticket players.

I don't see us signing too many free agents unless we lose someone to free agancy unexpectedly.

We already have the core for a very good football team. I think we'll look to fill the voids through the draft with young talented players.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Edwards has a couple years left. As long as he doesn't want top dollar, sure.

Getting Edwards and Clements would allow us to target WLB, DT, TE, or OL in the draft. I'd prefer a WLB, BUT, I've always liked the strategy that we've used. Fill all of your holes adequately in free agency, so you can draft BPA, or semi-BPA.

When you reach to fill holes, you end up with Sullivan, Sedrick Hodge, James Allen, Cie Grant, Mel Mitchell, etc.

When you draft BPA you get Reggie Bush, Marques Colston, Roman Harper, and Will Smith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Kamara This ESPN writer bold enough to state the obvious about Brady Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33