Will The Fans Come back after Covid? (1 Viewer)

What constitutes Covid over in terms of time? People will gradually return but I'm not sure if it will ever be the same, this is a global pandemic. If we reach herd immunity between a combination of vaccines and previous exposure it may be possible in a couple of years.
Herd immunity will not be until late 2022 imo.

I agree, they're trying to push for this in Buffalo.
I didn't know that.
I mean they can easily do it. The nfl players could demand it for a safer work space....or refuse to play with fans. This thing is far from over.
Cruise lines, airlines, any type of future travel may require it. They're not handing out cards for nothing . Something is coming.
The ones holding off on vaccines are either young and don't really need it or waiting for others to get it and hope it all goes away. This stuff is gonna be around awhile because humankind doesn't listen to simple suggestions.

I plan on going to a game this year, but I've had both doses of Pfizer. Honestly though I'm waiting to hear the Saints follow suit with the Bills and only let fully vaccinated people in before I make final judgement. Assuming we don't miraculously pull off herd immunity by then.

I plan on going to a game this year, but I've had both doses of Pfizer. Honestly though I'm waiting to hear the Saints follow suit with the Bills and only let fully vaccinated people in before I make final judgement. Assuming we don't miraculously pull off herd immunity by then.
My only problem with that is those who are concerned with Covid are the ones who got a vacc. Those who would show up to game not vaccinated aren't concerned bout covid.

Since many people are vaccinated and most will be by fall, by that logic it will be very hard for unvaccinated people to get or spread Covid.

My only problem with that is those who are concerned with Covid are the ones who got a vacc. Those who would show up to game not vaccinated aren't concerned bout covid.

Since many people are vaccinated and most will be by fall, by that logic it will be very hard for unvaccinated people to get or spread Covid.

If the vaccines indeed have a 99-100% prevention of death...eventually the only ones that will die from Covid are the unvaccinated crowd (or the tiny percent of the population who can’t get the vaccine that are susceptible). So essentially Darwinian genetics will play out. With each passing year our immune systems will collect more memory of the virus. The Spanish Flu was able to eventually reach herd immunity by a meh public health initiative with vaccination of 0% of the population. The same would happen with COVID without our current measures...but the vaccines will speed up the process significantly. People need to take a deep breath.

Last edited:
If the vaccines indeed have a 99-100% prevention of death...eventually the only ones that will die from Covid are the unvaccinated crowd (or the tiny percent of the population who can’t get the vaccine that are susceptible). So essentially Darwinian genetics will play out. With each passing year our immune systems will collect more memory of the virus. The Spanish Flu was able to eventually reach herd immunity by a meh public health initiative with vaccination of 0% of the population. The same would happen with COVID without our current measures...but the vaccines will speed up the process significantly. People need to take a deep breath.

So what percentage of the population would need to be vaccinated in order to reach herd immunity by the start of next season?

If, for example, we only get 65% of the population vaccinated, how long would it take to reach herd immunity?

Sammy, in your post #38 above you've incorrectly attributed a post to me, which was actually posted by DerrickB. Kindly correct when you have a moment.

Does everyone believe fans will come back to the stadiums in full force after Covid is under control and we have herd immunity? I personally don’t believe so. I think the pandemic has pushed more fans away from watching the games in person. Then you add the increasing cost of watching games in person. Just my two cents.

Lol without question, probably more so than even before. Stadiums could all add 20,000 seats and they’d fill them.

I think baseball will suffer the most. It relies heavily on the fan experience. I.e taking your kids there when they are young so they are exposed to sport. Thats how i became a baseball fan. Football i just watched on TV growing up. The action of football sells itself
I'm going to my first baseball game next week and I feel like its the most "normal" at this point. Baseball games rarely sell out anyway and part of the appeal even before the pandemic was having more room to spread out in the seats. Throw in the millions of stadium giveaways they all have stashed in storage from the last 2 years and fans will be back at pre-pandemic levels really soon.

I think NBA will see the slowest return to normal. Indoor games, cramped quarters, superior TV experience, fans whining about politics, etc.

NFL will fall somewhere between those two.

I'm going to my first baseball game next week and I feel like its the most "normal" at this point. Baseball games rarely sell out anyway and part of the appeal even before the pandemic was having more room to spread out in the seats. Throw in the millions of stadium giveaways they all have stashed in storage from the last 2 years and fans will be back at pre-pandemic levels really soon.

I think NBA will see the slowest return to normal. Indoor games, cramped quarters, superior TV experience, fans whining about politics, etc.

NFL will fall somewhere between those two.
Didnt think about it from that perspective. Any baseball fame ive been to room was never an issue. It was a lil cramped at Fenway Park. But still very manageable.

Didnt think about it from that perspective. Any baseball fame ive been to room was never an issue. It was a lil cramped at Fenway Park. But still very manageable.
Yea Fenway and Wrigley are the two major exceptions. For the first time in a while those stadiums "coziness" aren't really a selling point. Everyone is really on top of each other there, both in the seats and the concourses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom