Will the NFL not suspend Andre Johnson with Houston playing on NFLN this week? (1 Viewer)

Report: NFL will not suspend Andre Johnson
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 29, 2010, 2:43 PM EST
Texans receiver Andre Johnson has reportedly dodged a bullet from the league office, as the NFL has decided not to suspend Johnson for punching Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan on Sunday.

Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports is reporting that Johnson will be fined but not suspended.

That means Johnson will play Thursday night against the Eagles in a very big game for the Texans, who are 5-6 and one game behind the Jaguars and Colts in the AFC South. The lack of a suspension is bad news for the Eagles, whose pass defense struggled as they fell to 7-4 in a loss to the Bears Sunday.

There’s no word on the amount of Johnson’s fine, or on the league’s discipline for Finnegan.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/report-nfl-will-not-suspend-andre-johnson/

If so, that's a HUGE break for the Texans. I'm not sure they can beat the Iggles anyway because of their horrible secondary (the Texans' secondary, I mean), but having Johnson will help tremendously. They'll definitely have to put some major points on offense to make up for what their defense is likely to give up.

It's very surprising, though, particularly because these two have a history. Now, Finnegan ought to be suspended because he's a punk who does this constantly, but I figured Johnson would get one as well because they have tangled in the past (just not this severly).

First time offender and Finneran is a complete and utter dirt bag and something tells me this will prompt the NFL to stop players from goig at throat on the jam

they should suspend finnigan but not johnson - it's his first time and finnigan is a repeat offender (as well as the self-proclaimed filthiest player in the league)

I hope they dont suspend Andre. He is a genuine good guy who owned up to a mistake. If anything Finnegan should have been hit a few more times.

They will not not suspend him unless he's not going to be un-suspended after never being suspended. :fou:

It's crazy to me that he's not being suspended. I'm not saying he should be but man. Whether he started it or not, he was still the only one to throw any punches. fighting should be a suspension for all those involved.

After viewing the video, I award the fight to Johnson on points. He got some good blows in and Finnegan never recovered after his opening jab to the throat.

It would be very unfair to suspend AJ when Richard Seymour punched Roethlisberger in the face when he Ben was on the ground and did not get suspended.

It's crazy to me that he's not being suspended. I'm not saying he should be but man. Whether he started it or not, he was still the only one to throw any punches. fighting should be a suspension for all those involved.

i dont think that was intentional by Finnigan.. like its already been stated AJ has been a model citizen among his position and amongst NFL players all together i think Goodell relized that and gave him a pass for it.. i understand fighting like that is few and far between in the NFL but theres a whole other professional league that glorifies throwing down the equipment and exchanging haymakers when theres a difference in opinion, no reason to overreact over this one situation.. i give Goodell his props for finally making a well thought out decision

He might not get suspended, but it won't be because of the NFL Network game.

If anything, that's more motivation to suspend him. The fight will be replayed ad nauseum either way, and a suspension adds to the storyline while portraying that no-nonsense image the league has been pursuing for a while now.

They showed Deon Sanders getting the same situation with Andre Rison
When asked if he was suspended Deon said "Do you know how many people bought tickets to see me play?"

And really that's what it's all about. No suspensions for having the #1 replay of the week

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom