Will the Saints "spy" Cam Newton? (1 Viewer)

I'm in favor of this game plan, but it's been a while since we've been creative against the Panthers.

My fear is that we'll "play it safe" and Cam ends up having a big day. I believe we have to be aggressive against him.

Hopefully they learned this against the chargers. They tried to play it safe and protect the rookies by playing cover 2 and got destroyed in the dink and dunk game.

Then after the half Payton and Allen switched to a man to man and started dialing up more blitzes and we had great results.

I don't think these guys are as green as some of the guys we've had in the building before. They've shown they can step up and make big plays.

Hopefully they learned this against the chargers. They tried to play it safe and protect the rookies by playing cover 2 and got destroyed in the dink and dunk game.

Then after the half Payton and Allen switched to a man to man and started dialing up more blitzes and we had great results.

I don't think these guys are as green as some of the guys we've had in the building before. They've shown they can step up and make big plays.

I agree. It's time to get aggressive and go after them. This defense has always been more effective when they were blitzing the QB and playing man.

Even when we had Spags as our DC, our best defensive game came against the Eagles when we pinned our ears back and went after the QB.

I can't see how any rationale Saints fan, that has watched this team over the last 3 seasons, can look at this match-up and NOT see Cam Newton completely going off on our defense. This is the game where he throws 3 TDs and runs for another 2 and Olsen and Banjamin each have 100 yds.

We're back to being the elixir that fixes other teams struggles guys. This is it.

I wonder if we could use Stephone Anthony in the role of the spy, especially on passing downs.

That sounds like a great idea. I was thinking KV at first and have byrd and bell in at deep safety. Maybe they will implement both. If Davison plays, our biggest priority would be making Cam throw it downfield with accuracy, and taking away Kelvin Benjamin, or Greg Olsen depending on who is his first option.

Y'all really think Cam will run much, coming off concussion protocol? I figure Rivera has told him to toss it in the mezzanine if his first read is covered.

If he stays in the pocket his head is protected by rules; if he becomes a runner it's open season.

Spying a QB is a lot more complicated then just leaving a guy out there to follow him every play. I don't see it being a very effective method especially with a QB like Cam. This can get you torched in the passing game while there will still be plenty of chances to run for him even with a spy. Might prevent big runs by Cam from happening but allows a lot of dink and dunk runs. I was a spy guy on a couple of occasions and at least in my personal experiences this game plan never seemed to work just hurting he overall defense. It absolutely will be done at times and can be very effective but as a plan to do this often isn't a good one IMO.

Please words "spy and "cam" next to each other. It may cause Goddel to fine and or suspend our coaches.

Lets not talk about hitting him in the head or anything. I don't want the league to suspend SP again :(

I think this may be a good option, but wondering how the brain trust here feels about it.

:gosaints:

Maybe thats a 3rd down package you can leave Anthony in on. Your Job is see QB move, hit QB, follow QB, use athleticism to affect the throwing lane when the QB looks to pass.

Whatever they do with Cam, they absolutely have to have an answer for Olsen. He's the hands and safety valve for the offense. If they play him like they've played TEs for the last few years he's going to be near 200 yards receiving.

This, of course, assumes they don't rush for big gains at will like Atlanta did. In this case it doesn't matter who or how they cover receivers.

Spying the QB is one of those things that works in certain situations but football fans talk about it way too much because it sounds cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom