Will this 6 week break for Drew be a blessing in Disguise and have him fresh for the end of the season (1 Viewer)

BREENO

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The big talk at the end of last season was Drews productivity fell off at the end of the season last year. If and I know its a big IF we can stay somewhere arround 500 and in the thick of our division until Drew comes back. Might Drew be fresher for a second half run to win division and still be going strong into the Playoff's. Everyone will be talking about all the other top teams and pushing the Saints to the gutter. We can fly under the radar for a while and then be the team you don't want to play come playoff time

I hope so.

The fear, besides losing too much in the next 6 weeks is that it takes time to get back to game form while defenses are hitting their stride.

I have faith Drew will come through though - a veteran like him is more capable of just turning it on even after a 6 week layoff.

I have a lot more hope than I did last night.

We can win some of these games, if we can win one we aren’t supposed to then we roll into Brees coming back at 5-3

And looking at the schedule of the rest of our division, we have a shot to be tied for first or one game behind (obviously we can’t see the future)
So we still got a shot, coach just needs to win 3 while Brees is Gone.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm more concerned the injury will impact his passing accuracy.
I don't think he'd come back unless he can be his accurate self. That would be the same as having a backup out there.

Drew’s going to come out like a mad man after the bye week and most of our division games are in the back half of our season.

Hopefully that is the case cause last year Drew seemed to be a little gassed in the playoffs. If him and Sheldon Rankins come back ready to finish the season for us that will be a huge boost to the team.

We couldn’t ask for a better scenario to get him back after hopefully 6 weeks. I think Teddy & Taysom can get it done until he comes back. Using both those guys will keep defenses off balance and could be successful if done correctly. I would run Taysom in a read option, RPO for a good bit of snaps. We didn’t run that enough, but hopefully now we will see a good dose of him & Kamara in the shotgun together.

I would still have Teddy as the starter getting most of the snaps. I would split it 60/40 with Taysom getting way more snaps than usual from the QB position. Him and Kamara’s running ability are made for the read option. Then have Thomas running that quick slant with Cook/Ginn/Smith running down the seem to keep defenses honest. I really hope coach incorporates that into the offense a lot more going forward. And if it works like I hope, we could keep it going once Drew gets back.

I would steal some of Baltimore’s playbook to run with Taysom

Only if we stay afloat - lets realistically look at our schedule - next two are probably L’s, unless Teddy comes out and shows something much better then what we saw yesterday - possible, but im certainly not betting on it.

That puts us at 1-3 with then 4 winnable games imo - winnable, with all of them losable as well. If we can get to 4-4 at the bye with Drew returning after against Atl we could have a shot. Thats a big IF tho... need to see how Teddy and the team comes out this and next week. If we get absolutely demolished then might as well wrap it up.

My biggest concern is our defense is not built for defensive battle football. Slim hope that Teddy working with the first team and training with a game plan in mind will improve the offense. Fingers crossed.

thats about the only positive if you trying to find one.

negatives, we'll lose a lot of games we werent going to more than likely. and brady will pass brees up in TD record.

I mean, if we are 1-6 after the next six games, having Drew fresh will not help us one bit, now will it?
That is my concern. If we have dug ourselves into a huge hole even Drew is not going to be able to will us back into contention. Teddy or Hill AND the rest of the team has to find a way to get us out of the first half of the season NO worse than 4 - 4 and hopefully 5 - 3. Today I am not sure that is a possibility, but if it can be done it will be a testament to Coach Paytons ability to motivate all 53 players to play up to their capability and also design offensive game plans that do not look like the debacle yesterday with Teddy!

I wouldnt say a blessing. But I see both pros and cons, more pros than cons though.

Pros: Drew will be fresh. He wont be gassed out from playing each week at the age of 40. He will be fired up and ready to go. Last two years the saints have peaked mid season which means our peak time for drew will be the post season. The team will have a new fire relit with their leader back.

Cons: His hand might not be the same and his accuracy might be off. Fear of reinjurying.

Ok here is my positive take... I think we can go 4-2 or 3-3 and then we have a bye so Drew has 7 weeks to heal. I hope he can heal quick and be ready to play the Clowns week 10 at home. We would be 5-3 or 4-4 at that point.
Clowns have:
@ IND, TENN, @ HOU, @ ARI, LAR and SEA
Panthers have:
@ ARI, @ HOU, JAX, @ TB, BYE, @ SF and TENN
Bucs have:
NYG, @LAR, @ NO, CAR, BYE, @TENN, @ SEA
Drew got tired last year and this gives him rest for week 10-17 and playoffs.
I think we are at least tied for the division when he comes back!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom