Will Wade out as LSU's head basketball coach. (1 Viewer)

The administration has the ultimate responsibility, so, no matter where the infractions were occurring, it’s up to the administration to prevent or correct the problems. They can’t let
boosters or coaches run the show.
No doubt. I was asking cuz I've heard some stories about how deep the TAF likes to dip their hands into things.

Sad thing is that if Wade had waited three years he could have made all the money deals he wanted to get top players to come here. Now the new coach won't be able to motivate good players to come here even with NIL money due to being banned from postseason activities. No doubt this will make it even harder to convince a good coach to come here.

Hopefully football & baseball can help fill the void. I'm afraid that LSU basketball is back in the toilet for quite a while. 😢

Sad thing is that if Wade had waited three years he could have made all the money deals he wanted to get top players to come here.
You bring up an interesting point that hadn't even crossed my mind. So just because this happened before NIL came along, it's the worst thing ever and the NCAA is going to drop the hammer? If it was so bad, then why allow NIL? It's like someone who is 20 years and 355 days old can't legally drink because the law says you can magically handle it better at 21 years old. I get that we have laws for a reason, but it seems like LSU is about to get bombed to hell and back for something that is "okay" now.

You bring up an interesting point that hadn't even crossed my mind. So just because this happened before NIL came along, it's the worst thing ever and the NCAA is going to drop the hammer? If it was so bad, then why allow NIL? It's like someone who is 20 years and 355 days old can't legally drink because the law says you can magically handle it better at 21 years old. I get that we have laws for a reason, but it seems like LSU is about to get bombed to hell and back for something that is "okay" now.
It's more than just Wade doing something (paying players to play for his team) that is now allowable. It is a cluster of things in two major sports (football and basketball) that led the NCAA to conclude LSU lost "institutional control" of their athletics program. Both the NCAA and LSU's regional accreditor, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, require a university administration to maintain control over athletics. Typical penalties for losing institutional control are bowl bans, loss of scholarships, and even forfeiture of wins during the period when the infractions were occurring. Let's hope LSU has a good response to mitigate the severity of the penalties.

First off, let me say that Will Wade didn't do anything that every other major college program does, he was just more clumsy at it, you think Alabama isn't paying players, you're naive.

It was just a matter of time until he was gone, the loss for the 3rd time to Arkansas gave them an easy out and they certainly didn't want Wade standing in front of reporters at the NCAA tournament answering questions.

Plus, it hoepfully gives them a little more leniency from the NCAA, appearing proactive regarding any sanctions that may be coming.
No other MBB HC is paying players directly from a personal bank account shared with his wife. I used to think High Freeze set the standard in sloppy, arrogant behavior. Wade just set a new standard.

We also see why it took so long to conclude the investigation. Wade was sandbagging and keeping his phone and text records away from the NCAA, then eventually giving them about half of what they requested. It really makes you wonder what was in the other half of his "lost" phone records.

Woodward is going to have to pay through the nose to find an competent HC to take this job while we wait to find out what punishment the NCAA doles out.

Not a ton of looking in to it but:

Lamont Paris
Jared Grasso
Darian DeVries
Grant McCasland
Niko Medved
Will Weaver
Jordi Fernández Torres
Todd Golden

Are some names I will throw out there.

Edit:
None are big names, but getting a big name coach to come here while the program is penalized... would be challenging.

Even outside of big names, any good or up and coming coach is going to want a contract that garuntees them the time to build after navigating the mess left behind.

I want a guy with solid player development chops who can also gameplan.

Some charisma is necessary, but recruiting as a primary coaching trait is not as much of a concern in the NIL world IMO.

Whoever does come to Baton Rouge will have to spend those first few years building a culture amd showing he can elevate what talent he does have the schollies to get (get them drafted higher than expected when they were signed).

I would love an analytics guy... but you dont get many of those at the college level, and I dont think Kenny Atkinson or the like is coming to LSU.

I do really like Mahmoud Abdelfattah, but I did not add him to the list because I do not think Baton Rouge is ready for a Palestinian born Muslim as HC. He is a very meticulous guy known for his even keel, player development, and attention to every detail.

Whoever Woodard does bring in will have to have a squeaky clean rep I am sure after this mess, and a housecleaning like the one in football will likely commence. So a guy like Brad Underwood who I think is a great coach, but has a ton of baggage and a big contract/buyout is likely a non-starter.

I just hope it is not one of the good ole boys club that brought us Johnny Jones.

Last edited:
So, part of LSU trying to get ahead of penalties in football was a self imposed "bowl ban", do we do the same with mens BB and in addition to firing Wade just tell the NCAA to count us out of the tourney this year?

That would really suck for the players, none of them were part of that mess.

Today is Selection Sunday. My feeling if Tate/Woodward felt they should self-impose the postseason ban, they would’ve by now. They fired Wade and the associate head coach. Hopefully it’s enough for this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom