Other Will we Pick up Another NT? (7 Viewers)

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I was just wondering if we will either sign or draft a Nose Tackle since we don't have Malcom Brown anymore. The only ones we have left are DT's and not really considered NT's.
1. David Onyemata- 6'4"/300#
2. Shy Tuttle- 6'3"/300#
3. Ryan Glasgow- 6'3"/300#
4. Malcolm Roach- 6'3"/290#
5. Jalen Dalton- 6'6"/300#
6. Christian Ringo- 6'1"/300#

We need that big hole plugger space eater type in the middle that Brown was for us the past 2 years. We need someone in the range of 320# to 330#. The only one in FA I can see worth a look is Danny Shelton, who is relatively still young at 28 and would probably come pretty cheap. I think we also need to draft a NT too. The best all around NT's I've done some research on so far is:
1. Bobby Brown III- NT, 6'3"/325#, Texas A&M, Stout in the middle against the run and can collapse the pocket.
2. Alim McNeil- NT, 6'2"/320#, NC St. good against the run, won't get you many sacks. Needs to get better technique.
3. Glen Logan- NT, 6'3"/339#, LSU, can be an immovable object in the middle of a D-Line. Can't find much information on him.
I was also thinking maybe a guy like Christian Barmore could work at the NT position. He is 6'4"/310#. Was reading a bio on him that says he plays the run and rushes the passer exceptionally well.
What are y'all's thoughts on this.

OP
B_doggman47

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
They could probably get him for cheaper than that. Like a 4th or 5th.

Did you see how he held up against those doubles and single blocks? Not to mention pass rush ability.
I just remembered we have Jalen Dalton that spent the whole of last season on the IR. He's 6'6"/300#. He sounds like he might be able to fit what we need, I don't really know. I need to find some information and film on him. But he looks intriguing.
You know we talk about wanting to sign this one and that one in FA and wanting to draft certain players and we may have the right personnel on the team already. Who knows. With more playing time, I think these young guys will really start to develop.

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why the Ratliff type of NT doesn’t get more play at the nfl level. You can’t tell me that 30lbs of fat on a NT makes that much difference when an OC & OG go to double team a guy. Those two guys could move almost any amount of weight. Technique, strength, quickness, and instinct would all seem to be more valuable than just pure weight. IMHO

OP
B_doggman47

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Tyler Shelvin, LSU... could be an option in the 3rd Day (rounds 4-7).

He’s right around 350lbs and a cement post in the middle of the DL. He’s not giving any pass rush, but he’s a valuable piece vs the run.

A guy like that has value.
You talk about a Man-Mountain there. He's the immovable object and the unstoppable force all in one. I believe he would do well in a rotation. I'm sure he wouldn't be able to play continuous snaps at that weight. He'd ware out. But I have faith in our trainers to get his conditioning right and his weight down some. I liked what I saw of him at LSU back in 2019. He would be real good depth and it wouldn't be long before he would establish himself as a full time starter. I just have a good feeling in my gut about him and I'm usually right.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
And u know he'd put on @least 10 lbs during camp & it wouldn't affect his athleticism much plus add to his strength
I don't know if he'd need to.

He's strong enough already but if he could add 10lbs and still Run a 4.6 at 300lbs like Terron Armstead that would make him the 2nd or 3rd most athletic lineman in the league.

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)
You talk about a Man-Mountain there. He's the immovable object and the unstoppable force all in one. I believe he would do well in a rotation. I'm sure he wouldn't be able to play continuous snaps at that weight. He'd ware out. But I have faith in our trainers to get his conditioning right and his weight down some. I liked what I saw of him at LSU back in 2019. He would be real good depth and it wouldn't be long before he would establish himself as a full time starter. I just have a good feeling in my gut about him and I'm usually right.
AS much as I think we are going lighter, faster at defense...if he fell to us, he is someone I wouldn't be unhappy with drafting. CSP doesn't care where or how you came to the building, but if you produce and progress, he would be a great audition if we got him in the 3rd.

OP
B_doggman47

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I hope that the saints take a look at current free agent DaQuan Jones from the titans.

He is not flashy, but does the job against the run. And he is relatively young.
He would be perfect for what we need as a run stuffer and he can take on double teams and allow other players to make plays. He seems to be very powerful. I wonder if Neilsen can coach him up in his pass rush game. It may be just a matter of technique. I hope The Saints take a look at him too.

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler Shelvin, LSU... could be an option in the 3rd Day (rounds 4-7).

He’s right around 350lbs and a cement post in the middle of the DL. He’s not giving any pass rush, but he’s a valuable piece vs the run.

A guy like that has value.
I’d be shocked if Shelvin is still available on the third day.

Here’s a name for you — Tommy Togiai

cajunman9

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At 290# Williams is not a true NT. But he would be nice to have in a rotation. What we are missing here is someone like Brown who can be strong at the point of attack on running downs and still be powerful enough to push the pocket on passing downs. That player doesn't need to sack the QB on every play, all he needs is to only be a disruptor and move the QB off of his spot and get a sack every now and then.

Looks like you just described DT, Christian Barmore from Alabama.
A good pick for us at 28 in the upcoming draft.
I would prefer one of the Top CB, or LB Zaven Collins.

Reaction score
I just remembered we have Jalen Dalton that spent the whole of last season on the IR. He's 6'6"/300#. He sounds like he might be able to fit what we need, I don't really know. I need to find some information and film on him. But he looks intriguing.
You know we talk about wanting to sign this one and that one in FA and wanting to draft certain players and we may have the right personnel on the team already. Who knows. With more playing time, I think these young guys will really start to develop.
I really like Dalton. He was being hyped up last training camp till injury. Hopefully he will have that same fire...

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what Dalton can do with a full offseason of OTAs, mini-camps and training camp. He may be the diamond in the rough we look for every year.
Ryan Nielsen tried to recruit him when he was at N.C. State, but he went to North Carolina. If he can stay healthy. Look out for Marquiss Spencer from Mississippi State and Jared Goldwire from Louisville. Like Bobby Brown also...

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Honest question: Is there a strong correlation between a stout run defense and a high win total in the regular season? I ask this due to the recent trend (that I assume will continue) of teams understanding the passing plays are more efficient than running plays and therefore are more likely to call a higher volume of them.

OP
B_doggman47

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Honest question: Is there a strong correlation between a stout run defense and a high win total in the regular season? I ask this due to the recent trend (that I assume will continue) of teams understanding the passing plays are more efficient than running plays and therefore are more likely to call a higher volume of them.
That's when you make an in game adjustment from a run heavy front to a quicker more penetrating defensive front and you try to get pressure up the middle to get the QB off his spot. You have to make life for him miserable back there. You line up smaller DT's like Onyemata and Tuttle or Roach. We also have Jalen Dalton, Ryan Glasgow and Christian Ringo we can throw into the mix. But teams will try to establish the run to open up the play action and some teams will come out guns blazing. So you have to game plan accordingly.

OP
B_doggman47

B_doggman47

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Isn’t Geno Atkins still available?
Yes He is. Why have we not even shown even a little interest in this guy. I know he's a little older, but he can still produce. He's been a Pro-Bowler most of his career. He would do better in a rotation to keep him fresh at this point in his career. He would fill the spot left vacant from Rankins. And we can also draft another DT, which is probably what the Saints are going to do any way. We could draft a smaller quicker, penetrating DT and a bigger NT type to plug against the run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom