Other Will we Pick up Another NT? (3 Viewers)

I'm really excited to see what Dalton can do with a full offseason of OTAs, mini-camps and training camp. He may be the diamond in the rough we look for every year.

Ryan Nielsen tried to recruit him when he was at N.C. State, but he went to North Carolina. If he can stay healthy. Look out for Marquiss Spencer from Mississippi State and Jared Goldwire from Louisville. Like Bobby Brown also...

Honest question: Is there a strong correlation between a stout run defense and a high win total in the regular season? I ask this due to the recent trend (that I assume will continue) of teams understanding the passing plays are more efficient than running plays and therefore are more likely to call a higher volume of them.

Honest question: Is there a strong correlation between a stout run defense and a high win total in the regular season? I ask this due to the recent trend (that I assume will continue) of teams understanding the passing plays are more efficient than running plays and therefore are more likely to call a higher volume of them.
That's when you make an in game adjustment from a run heavy front to a quicker more penetrating defensive front and you try to get pressure up the middle to get the QB off his spot. You have to make life for him miserable back there. You line up smaller DT's like Onyemata and Tuttle or Roach. We also have Jalen Dalton, Ryan Glasgow and Christian Ringo we can throw into the mix. But teams will try to establish the run to open up the play action and some teams will come out guns blazing. So you have to game plan accordingly.

Isn’t Geno Atkins still available?
Yes He is. Why have we not even shown even a little interest in this guy. I know he's a little older, but he can still produce. He's been a Pro-Bowler most of his career. He would do better in a rotation to keep him fresh at this point in his career. He would fill the spot left vacant from Rankins. And we can also draft another DT, which is probably what the Saints are going to do any way. We could draft a smaller quicker, penetrating DT and a bigger NT type to plug against the run.

Only way they wouldn’t pick another is if Allen is going to go with some wonky 1 gap sort of DL with Davenport at Charles Hayley’s elephant position.

I was just wondering if we will either sign or draft a Nose Tackle since we don't have Malcom Brown anymore. The only ones we have left are DT's and not really considered NT's.
1. David Onyemata- 6'4"/300#
2. Shy Tuttle- 6'3"/300#
3. Ryan Glasgow- 6'3"/300#
4. Malcolm Roach- 6'3"/290#
5. Jalen Dalton- 6'6"/300#
6. Christian Ringo- 6'1"/300#

We need that big hole plugger space eater type in the middle that Brown was for us the past 2 years. We need someone in the range of 320# to 330#. The only one in FA I can see worth a look is Danny Shelton, who is relatively still young at 28 and would probably come pretty cheap. I think we also need to draft a NT too. The best all around NT's I've done some research on so far is:
1. Bobby Brown III- NT, 6'3"/325#, Texas A&M, Stout in the middle against the run and can collapse the pocket.
2. Alim McNeil- NT, 6'2"/320#, NC St. good against the run, won't get you many sacks. Needs to get better technique.
3. Glen Logan- NT, 6'3"/339#, LSU, can be an immovable object in the middle of a D-Line. Can't find much information on him.
I was also thinking maybe a guy like Christian Barmore could work at the NT position. He is 6'4"/310#. Was reading a bio on him that says he plays the run and rushes the passer exceptionally well.
What are y'all's thoughts on this.

This guy might be the best of them all.

This guy might be the best of them all.

I really liked what I saw of him from the film I watched of him. But then you have guys that do the analysis of him that totally give you mixed views of the player.
I'll give you an example:
He is an athletic one-gap DT with scheme versatility. Fires off the snap with a great first step and plays with great pad level and consistently gets leverage on opponents. Explosive up the field, quickly gets his hands into blockers, and keeps his feet moving. Displays good change of direction skills with the ability to immediately alter his angle of attack. Plays with balance, moves well about the field and flashes pass rush skills.
Then he contradicts himself in his analysis with this.
Lacks great bulk, played out of position at NT last season and was consistently hung up by blocks. Easily knocked off balance or from his angle of attack by his initial hit.
I don't know how he can lack great bulk @ 6'3"/317#. What is he expecting, a 350# fat man with conditioning problems that can't stay on the field for an extended period of time.
His final analysis was:
Marshall is an athletic defensive lineman with a large upside, but he must improve his strength and increase his production to have any chance of sticking at the next level.
From what I saw of him on film at DT and NT he was always in the backfield either making a play or disrupting a play and helping someone else to make a play. He did at times have trouble shedding blockers, but more time than not he was penetrating and getting into the backfield to make plays or disrupt plays.

Think McCoy would help along the defensive line if he'd come cheap enough?

He had a season ending injury last year with the Cowboys. I don't think he played one down during the regular season. I don't know if he is a FA or still with Dallas. But yeah if he's 100% healed up, I wouldn't mind brining him is and kick the tires.

I just read an article on McCoy and he is a FA. He had some very powerful words on how he feels he could help a team and he still has a lot to offer a team and he would take on any roll, (not necessarily a starting role). He said as a rotational player, a mentor for the young guys and a positive locker room presence. I believe he could come in and help our defense. He could come in at a reduced price. We should bring him in and see just what his worth is, couldn't hurt. We could be waiting until after the draft to bring anyone else in, Due to not losing any comp. picks.

I really liked what I saw of him from the film I watched of him. But then you have guys that do the analysis of him that totally give you mixed views of the player.
I'll give you an example:
He is an athletic one-gap DT with scheme versatility. Fires off the snap with a great first step and plays with great pad level and consistently gets leverage on opponents. Explosive up the field, quickly gets his hands into blockers, and keeps his feet moving. Displays good change of direction skills with the ability to immediately alter his angle of attack. Plays with balance, moves well about the field and flashes pass rush skills.
Then he contradicts himself in his analysis with this.
Lacks great bulk, played out of position at NT last season and was consistently hung up by blocks. Easily knocked off balance or from his angle of attack by his initial hit.
I don't know how he can lack great bulk @ 6'3"/317#. What is he expecting, a 350# fat man with conditioning problems that can't stay on the field for an extended period of time.
His final analysis was:
Marshall is an athletic defensive lineman with a large upside, but he must improve his strength and increase his production to have any chance of sticking at the next level.
From what I saw of him on film at DT and NT he was always in the backfield either making a play or disrupting a play and helping someone else to make a play. He did at times have trouble shedding blockers, but more time than not he was penetrating and getting into the backfield to make plays or disrupt plays.

PFF had him with like 25 pressures last year and his RAS is near perfect.

Look at that. He also had 36 bench reps and was timed as fast as 4.7.

That's our guy to stop Brady and collapse his pocket.

PFF had him with like 25 pressures last year and his RAS is near perfect.

Look at that. He also had 36 bench reps and was timed as fast as 4.7.

That's our guy to stop Brady and collapse his pocket.

I really like this guy. I believe he could be everything we need in a DT. We could probably get him somewhere between 4th & 6th rounds. We wouldn't have to use a high pick on a DT and use that pick on some other position of need.

Well it looks like the market is getting flooded with defensive linemen. You now have Geno Atkins, DaQuan Jones, Gerald McCoy, Maurice Hurst and Sheldon Richardson. Any one of those guys could come in and be in immediate part of the rotation. I'd take a combination of McCoy and Hurst in a minute.

That's why it makes sense to stick to Nose Tackles like Nick Fairley and Broderick Bunkley.

A guy like Milton Williams would be perfect because he is super-athletic.
Hated when Fairley had to retire due to heart problems. If i remember correctly dude was a beast here

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom