Other Will we Pick up Another NT? (1 Viewer)

Christian Barmore is the second rated interior defensive lineman according to a couple of sites I visited. That's fine. A better possibility that he is ours at 28.
Milton Williams is likely a better bet.

290lbs.

Runs a 4.62 40.

Strong as an ox.

An even better athlete than McNeil and Barnmore.

The only one in FA I can see worth a look is Danny Shelton, who is relatively still young at 28 and would probably come pretty cheap. I think we also need to draft a NT too.

Shelton signed with the Giants.

Milton Williams is likely a better bet.

290lbs.

Runs a 4.62 40.

Strong as an ox.

An even better athlete than McNeil and Barnmore.
At 290# Williams is not a true NT. But he would be nice to have in a rotation. What we are missing here is someone like Brown who can be strong at the point of attack on running downs and still be powerful enough to push the pocket on passing downs. That player doesn't need to sack the QB on every play, all he needs is to only be a disruptor and move the QB off of his spot and get a sack every now and then.

The only thing that I feel good about is that our staff seems to get what they need defensively. They have been really good with finding defensive talent the last couple of years. Good thing about a NT is that most aren’t pass rushers who command a premium. You can find a younger guy who can learn and bulk up in the middle rounds, where a pass rushing DT is a fortune and high first round pick.

At 290# Williams is not a true NT. But he would be nice to have in a rotation. What we are missing here is someone like Brown who can be strong at the point of attack on running downs and still be powerful enough to push the pocket on passing downs. That player doesn't need to sack the QB on every play, all he needs is to only be a disruptor and move the QB off of his spot and get a sack every now and then.

Williams is plenty strong.

34 reps.

And much faster and quicker. Jay Ratliff was a true NT at 290lbs.

Don't let size fool you.

I think Geno Atkins would make a good replacement for Rankins. We still need a replacement for Brown. What are your thoughts on who could replace him.
We just signed Brown’s replacement sort of. Kpassagnon will probably get kicked inside on passing downs for sure. That’s if SP is willing to play to his versatility. Against the rush probably Tuttle/Roach/Onyemata and whoever we get at NT. We should be good after that, if you add another in the draft. But who knows what our FO is thinking.

Last edited:
We just signed Brown’s replacement sort of. Kpassagnon will probably get kicked inside on passing downs for sure. That’s if SP is willing to play to his versatility. Against the rush probably Tuttle/Roach/Onyemata and whoever we get at NT. We should be good after that, if you add another in the draft. But who knows what our FO is thinking.
You see my thinking is that Kpassagnon was signed to replace the loss of Hendrickson. But he can slide inside to DT. Looks like he did better statistically for the Chiefs when they slid him inside, so maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. If we don't sign a true NT in free agency, I would like to see us draft at least one of these guys Alim McNeill, Christian Barmore or Bobby Brown III.

I have a "gut feeling" we might be leaning toward a bit smaller, faster, strong and athletic on the inside and run a speedier contain, attack, swarm defense. If we see draft picks of LB and DL that seem to all possess range/speed/power than big heavy hitters, then I think we go that way and DA will be scheming something a bit different. I think with Richard in the building, they definitely have a plan (that doesn't mean just because Richard is in that we are going full Legion of Boom/Seattle style D for that reason) but I think Richard's presence will have the DB room playing a certain style that works best in tandem with that scheme.

Is it just weeding out salaries that has some big bodies gone in FA with no equal replacement? Is it that the FA market and draft prospects just are dictating it or is it a game plan set in motion purposefully? ...I don't know. I just have a feeling.

Fast swarming/converging D's seem to give us fits...especially with speed to the perimeter. This is a copy cat league and if can't beat them, join them mentality...even with the most forward thinking coaches. I just feel that DA has something up his sleeve for this offseason to build on the strengths we already have and to get faster with less "thinking/hesitation". It could be all coincidence or I could just flat out be sensing something out of nothing and be WAY OFF...LOL. We won't be NOT bringing NT fits, but maybe not going out of our way to have slower, huge stuffers. Anyone else want to weigh in??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom