Will you care about the Saints as much after Drew Brees retires? (1 Viewer)

Will you care about the Saints as much after Drew Brees retires?

• Yes

Votes: 395 81.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 10.7%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 37 7.6%

• Total voters
The investment will be a less. The next set of players who inspire the same level investment have to emerge. I end up very disappointed that when he was at his best and playing at an all time elite level for several years the organization was mucking up personnel, defense, special teams...everything else. They finally righted the ship, but a little too late.

Mostly because of the NFL refs and a little because we have a High Comp % Offense with a QB that is more boom or bust.

My interest is liable to change back to "Tape Delay" in that I wont watch the games live unless I am bored or stuck at home. This was the case for me during the 2019 season after being jobbed by the refs in 2018.

I was die-hard before Brees, and I will be die-hard after he leaves.

Been a Saints fan since the beginning. 1967. Nothing or no one will ever change that. Now having said that I will miss Drew like I miss my first love. What a great guy and he plus SP gave me and the other old timers something we were not sure we would ever see. DB = GOAT and it’s not even close

The Saints haven’t been winning these past few seasons because of Drew Brees. Drew has been good no doubt, but the fact the Saints were 8-1 w/out him over the past 2 seasons speaks to the quality of the team itself. Coaching and front office are top-notch as well...

Unless the new starting QB is an absolute disaster, or Loomis and Harley choke on the cap situation, the Saints should continue to be very competitive. .500 feels like the ground level record-wise.
Payton will really show how good of a coach he really is.
8-1 without him means nothing. You have to consider Hill and Bridgewater played a max 4 & 5 games. My concern is if Payton can put the offense/defense together enough to win 11+ games a season. Neither QB has played full time with this offense. Bridgewater does not look good in Carolina. Hill didn't look good in his first 4 starts by my eye test. I'm not gonna judge too bad because it's his first time taking that many snaps at QB.

Also were not sure how many players are staying or going to save more cap room. Our defense (backfield) did not look good against the better offenses this season -except TB. With Tampa in the division we'll need to have an over .500 record.

A question only a bandwagon fan would ask.
Or maybe a new fan that only knows Saints life with Brees.

Saints fans are Saints fans. Players come and go. Even the greats.
That's not a bandwagon fan. You have to also consider the age of fans that started watching football and became Saints fans.

I'm not gonna lie I started watching Football at 16 and became a Brees fan in '05. 1 year I'm SD and the rest in NO. I have grown to love this team and all of its players. I been riding with this team nearly 15 seasons. ALL fans that started watching the Brees/Payton era are not bandwagon fans.

8-1 without him means nothing. You have to consider Hill and Bridgewater played a max 4 & 5 games. My concern is if Payton can put the offense/defense together enough to win 11+ games a season. Neither QB has played full time with this offense. Bridgewater does not look good in Carolina. Hill didn't look good in his first 4 starts by my eye test. I'm not gonna judge too bad because it's his first time taking that many snaps at QB.

Also were not sure how many players are staying or going to save more cap room. Our defense (backfield) did not look good against the better offenses this season -except TB. With Tampa in the division we'll need to have an over .500 record.

In addition to TB, the Saints held the three best offenses they saw all year (KC, Minnesota and GB) below their season yardage average. The DBs played great against KC and played outstanding football after the first few games.

We are not going to lose much off our roster. That’s been debunked quite a few times.

And it matters a lot that we won games without Brees. It shows how good this roster is around whoever is playing QB. We will be fine. I’d say 11 wins is a good goal to start, then see what happens in the postseason.

While I’m a Brees fan and I’m grateful for everything he’s accomplished here, I‘ll show a bit more interest and attention to the Saints because I confess that long term stability led me to taking Payton-Brees for granted. While I will always enjoy the awesomeness, part of sports will always be tied to the impermanence of any team.
I have no interest in debating whether or not Tom Brady is an outstanding QB. Just like I won’t argue whether or not the sun will rise tomorrow. I look forward to a future of position battles and building a foundation for the next run at the Super Bowl. I’ll cheer for Kamara and Demario and we’ll see how solid they are with the loss of a few key teammates.
In short, I will try to love the Saints a bit more because I think they’ll need a bit more love.

How 'bout instead of not taking the Saints seriously after the last few years, instead - not taking the NFL seriously as a competitive league. They have said that they are an entertainment industry and experience has taught me to believe them.

In addition to TB, the Saints held the three best offenses they saw all year (KC, Minnesota and GB) below their season yardage average. The DBs played great against KC and played outstanding football after the first few games.

We are not going to lose much off our roster. That’s been debunked quite a few times.

And it matters a lot that we won games without Brees. It shows how good this roster is around whoever is playing QB. We will be fine. I’d say 11 wins is a good goal to start, then see what happens in the postseason.
[/QUOTE

Could be my recollection. I was referring to GB and DET, just to name a few. SD/CAR were lucky wins. From my eye test, If there was no pressure on the QB -which often this year has been Trey H. It seemed everytime the ball got in the air the receivers were left running wide open.

I'm not understanding how it shows how good our roster is, if TH faced trashed teams and went 3-1. I'm saying being 8-1 without Brees does not mean we win 11+ games a season W/O him. CARO's offense is no worse than what he had in NO and he flicks INTs in 4th QTs.

TH was barely pressured in the games played and still managed to fumble. He holds the ball too long and is often slow in making decisions. If we get far behind in games, (right now) I don't trust that Hill or Winston are the type of QBs who can rally the troops back to victory or come close.

They are pretty fresh to the game, so I'll give it time.

I’ll be a Saints fan through the boo bird “fans” announcing their departure over kneeling, through the people leaving over conspiracies, through the bad calls, through the sheetestorm. During 1-15 seasons and 15-1 years. There’s something about loving that hometown team that keeps you engaged.

Fans don’t become less of fans because life happens. They weren’t true fans to begin with.

If you are on this forum in mid February...you are probably more than just a bandwagon Saints fan.

I still care about the Saints. But are my expectation as high? Of course not. Part of it has to do with Brees...but most of it really doesn't. Even if Brees returns in 2021, my expectations for this team would be lower. Heck...I think that there's an argument that maybe the Saints are better without Brees in 2021. It's just hard for me to take this franchise seriously as a championship contender after the way that the past few seasons have unfolded. Will I be following this team as intently as I have the past few seasons? Probably not.

I think with no Brees I'll still care about the team the same however that sense of urgency like we HAVE to win now, isn't going to be there for me like it has the last 3 years. If we lose it's going to be oh well that's to bad not OH MY GOD IT'S ALL OVER!!! :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom