Will you keep wearing a mask after the pandemic is over? (1 Viewer)

I thought I read that a virus that kills people is actually less successful than a virus that does not. If you kill your host, you die too. So a more successful virus is one that can replicate easier and not kill its hosts. Its goal is not to kill, but to flourish.

True (and of course these aren't sentient beings that are making decisions that are actually best for themselves) but speaking generally, the more successfully a virus replicates the more detrimental it will be to the host (necessarily, because the resources it takes from the host to replicate become more taxing).

COVID is an incredibly smart virus because it spreads before someone dies...or even becomes symptomatic for that matter. Whether or not the person lives is inconsequential to the virus because by the time the person dies it has a new host. Now if it wipes out the entire population, then clearly that would be bad for business, but of course that's not happening. Most people are living with COVID...heck we probably all have some level of antibodies to COVID by this point...and we're still here.

That's the main reason that Ebola hasn't spread, right? It kills so quickly and causes symptoms so quickly that despite how contagious it is, it doesn't have time to really spread?

Fauci is now saying he expects us to wear masks until sometime in 2022 (!). Public school boards are having massive fights over whether vaccination of teachers is sufficient to reopen schools, etc. And lots of news stories about "Hey, just bc you've been vaccinated doesn't mean you can do normal stuff!"

I understand a degree of caution but the messaging ought to be "Get you shot and you can ditch your mask!" We are unintentionally sowing seeds of doubt about the shots doing it this way.

My wife is an educator. They've been teaching in person since September. Where are schools not opening? Is it more up north?

To answer the question, no. I won't wear it all the time. I do think making it the normal to wear if you're sick will be tough.

My wife is an educator. They've been teaching in person since September. Where are schools not opening? Is it more up north?

I know of some schools in Minnesota that are still closed. The governor recently pushed down a mandatory order to have brick and mortar schools open. It's interesting because Minnesota is a pretty health conscious state, and yet they have been one of the most defiant of American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations to allow children to go back to school because social isolation was more damning that COVID in that cohort. Largely political.

Here's a website that says where each state is at regarding your question:

Pretty much - California too, I think.

At one point Fairfax County (DC suburb) teachers said they wont go back until not just the teachers but all the STUDENTS are vaccinated (2022?)

There's some confusion on that point. Back in March & April 2020 ... yeah, that WAS the CDC guidance. Just cover your mouth and nose and unless you were working in close contact with COVID patients, a tight seal (or an N95) was not necessary.

Then late last month ... the official guidance changed, ostensibly in response to the increased transmissibility of the newer variants (variants!). That's where the double-masking advice came from -- the single cloth mask as normally worn is no longer considered sufficient source control/personal protection because of the typical gaps at the sides and near the nose/below the eyes. Now, they're saying either a tight seal (N95s, or plastic brackets for surgical masks, etc.) or else a second mask is recommended.

Just giving the info, not advocating one way or the other.

Wearing a mask so tight that it hurts your ears doesn't mean it won't have gaps.

"Cloth masks", those vary. I have cloth masks,but the ones I have are triple layered and come with a pocket for a filter. They fit very snugly on my face and I can wear them for hours.

Pretty much - California too, I think.

At one point Fairfax County (DC suburb) teachers said they wont go back until not just the teachers but all the STUDENTS are vaccinated (2022?)

Sort of. They're phasing in segmented in person classes in March. That said, the teachers here have been stalling in class for as long as they can. It's overkill imo.

Not picking at you specifically, but that’s kind of where norms come into play. If say, we are still ramping up vaccines and the CDC says to wear masks, and I’m in a state that doesn’t require them (rhymes with Plorida), I will continue to wear one.

I was under the impression he meant when the virus was over. Once the herd immunity is met and all the rules are over I will not wear a mask. However if a store owner decides to continue requiring it I will respect their wishes.

Last edited:
I was under the impression he meant whether virus was over. Once the herd immunity is met and all the rules are over I will not wear a mask. However if a store owner decides to contextually requiring it I will respect their wishes.
That's reasonable.

I was under the impression he meant whether virus was over. Once the herd immunity is met and all the rules are over I will not wear a mask. However if a store owner decides to contextually requiring it I will respect their wishes.

If the virus is eradicated, sure, back to normal, whatever that is. Heh.

100% no.

Don’t wear one now.

Haven’t got Covid.

I’m in and around people all the time.

The people at my work don’t wear one.

None of them.

The people at the restaurants we frequent weekly never wear one. (The workers are required to and they wear them).

And Trump’s vaccine? Zero chance I will put a vaccine, created in a lab....still undetermined the lasting effects, into my body to stop a disease that I haven’t got.

Watching Fauci rip his off as soon as the camera he was talking to turned off , and people in the background have them hanging down on their ear around him.....I’ll follow his lead and not sweat it.

The schools here are wide open, have been open all year every day since August....the kids there are not wearing them.

I honestly feel bad to people who choose to cover their face so often, it’s so hard to breathe and so many people getting these positive results are mask wearers.

I just can’t believe it’s healthy to not breathe in and out comfortably.

I know people are going to think I’m an idiot, selfish, etc...but oh well. I’m going to continue to live like I want to.

I know in my heart I’m not spreading this, and I also know for a fact the people I associate with aren’t getting it.

I do agree with wearing one when I am actively sick and need to go somewhere......like they do in China pre Covid. I hadn’t done that before but will start that practice.

But wearing a mask when I’m not sick? Not going to do that.

Last edited:
100% no.

Don’t wear one now.

Haven’t got Covid.

None of them.

The people at the restaurants we frequent weekly never wear one. (The workers are required to and they wear them).

And Trump’s vaccine? Zero chance I will put a vaccine, created in a lab....still undetermined the lasting effects, into my body to stop a disease that I haven’t got.

Watching Fauci rip his off as soon as the camera he was talking to turned off , and people in the background have them hanging down on their ear around him.....I’ll follow his lead and not sweat it.

The schools here are wide open, have been open all year every day since August....the kids there are not wearing them.

I honestly feel bad to people who choose to cover their face so often, it’s so hard to breathe and so many people getting these positive results are mask wearers.

I know people are going to think I’m an idiot, selfish, etc...but oh well. I’m going to continue to live like I want to.

I know in my heart I’m not spreading this, and I also know for a fact the people I associate with aren’t getting it.

I do agree with wearing one when I am actively sick and need to go somewhere......like they do in China pre Covid. I hadn’t done that before but will start that practice.

You do realize that you can unknowingly transmit the virus if you're asymptomatic, right? Millions of people wear masks every day without any issues. Masks don't inhibit breathing. They feel uncomfortable, sure, but for the sake of others, I mask up when in public.

Trump's vaccine? Lol, the type of vaccine being used has actually been researched and studied for 10+ years. This isn't some new sort of thing that just came on the scene.

As for the rest...I don't know where you live, but here, there are still too many cases not to be masked up. My oldest son had it last month. So not wearing masks here in public is straight up irresponsible. Schools are still from home, although they're scheduled to start opening back up next month.

In your heart? Does your heart tell you the earth is flat? That 2+2=10? The heart can be and often is wrong. Science, vaccine development and approval isn't based on anecdotal, uncorroborated evidence that hasn't been peer reviewed.

Anyway, this has been discussed at length for a year now. If none of what's been discussed has sunk in by now, then :shrug:.

100% no.

Don’t wear one now.

Haven’t got Covid.

None of them.

I know someone who does vaccine clinical trial research. They perform titers on all subjects before receiving the vaccine. According to this person, well over 99% of people had titers positive to COVID. Meaning that we have all had some level of exposure. The tricky thing about COVID is that infectious levels peak on average 3 days before subjects get ANY symptoms. So for you to say that you or nobody you know has had COVID...well...statistically science says that’s highly improbable. Wearing masks is a pretty simple thing to do. Children in kindergarten are doing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom