Will you watch Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Is the red angel related to red matter from the movies?

based on the information we have today, no they are not. They have hinted that the area's of the red angle signals there are signs of tachyon (temporal) radiation.

personally, if its future Spock, i think that would be an incredibly lame and lazy writing.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Some of the episodes have had such cheesy lines my wife won't watch it anymore. Burnham needs to be less emotional. They are ruining her character. All gripes aside, I'll still watch it.

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Some of the episodes have had such cheesy lines my wife won't watch it anymore. Burnham needs to be less emotional. They are ruining her character. All gripes aside, I'll still watch it.
Like I said about Burnham, I don't mind the emotion, but the emotional monologues like in Grey's Anatomy, that mushy what-is-important-is-how-I-am-dealing-with-all-this introspection does not fit, it is almost imposed. But Burnham tearfully asking if it has to be this way before she helps Saru end his life. That was good.

Trek has always tried to present an idealized and noble future value system, but that is hard to do without being too obvious, otherwise the preaching screams at you. TNG was successful quite in this subtle art of presentation, often because of Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart, they carried the show at times. Unfortunately with Discovery, we have been screamed at quite a bit.

I'll still watch this show. It is interesting. I have never watched a Trek series where I was constantly trying to rewrite/redirect the episodes in my mind as I go through them as I seem to be driven to do with this series. That said, it is interesting enough to keep going.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Looks like the show has been renewed for a 3 season. All Star Trek shows hit their strides in season 3, looking forward to it.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I keep waiting for details on the Picard series. If they don't hit a home run with it, I'm going to be massively disappointed.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
I keep waiting for details on the Picard series. If they don't hit a home run with it, I'm going to be massively disappointed.

then you should not even bother. no show hits a home run in first couple of episodes, and a lot of times not even in its first season. Star Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, all of these shows needed time to find their legs and required changes and refinements before they were popularly accepted as "good".

I really don't get this mentality of, "if its not the best show ever, i won't waste my time with it."

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
then you should not even bother. no show hits a home run in first couple of episodes, and a lot of times not even in its first season. Star Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, all of these shows needed time to find their legs and required changes and refinements before they were popularly accepted as "good".

I really don't get this mentality of, "if its not the best show ever, i won't waste my time with it."

Yeah, but I have some faith (perhaps misplaced) that Patrick Stewart isn't going to let it be bad. I'd think for him to come back to this universe, especially on the small screen, the project would have to be good.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
After last nights episode, which I liked, and my god the visuals in this episode were absolutely stunning, we learn the whatever is coming back from the future is 500 years in the future, if my rough math is close, that would be approximately 400 years AFTER the end of ST:Voyager. That would seem to eliminate future Spock, thank gawd. Looking forward to the next episode where they visit a little planet named ....

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After last nights episode, which I liked, and my god the visuals in this episode were absolutely stunning, we learn the whatever is coming back from the future is 500 years in the future, if my rough math is close, that would be approximately 400 years AFTER the end of ST:Voyager. That would seem to eliminate future Spock, thank gawd. Looking forward to the next episode where they visit a little planet named ....

Talos IV?

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The Enterprise's visit to Talos IV under Captain Pike (TOS Pilot "The Cage") happened three years prior to this episode, and "The Menagerie" when Spock kidnaps the Enterprise under Kirk to bring Pike back happens 10 years later, if you are looking for a setting.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I finally was able to sit down and see the new episode.

Damn, this show may end up being better than TNG at some point. This is GOOOOOOOOD! The call back to the original pilot was phenominal. It's also a grim reminder to Pike's fate in the next few years...... or will that happen at the end of this season?

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
I honestly didn't expect this episode to have occur after The Cage, for some reason i assume we in a post Enterprise, pre-The Cage error, i was pleasantly surprised to see this episode smack dab in the early prime timeline, and it really was outstanding IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom