Will you watch Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access? (1 Viewer)

Getting a Quantum Leap vibe now. Ziggy is the Red Angel.

I'm still liking the show. The season has still been a bit hit and miss, but overall the hits are worth the misses. Michael Burman (whom IMO is the Wesley Crusher of the series) isn't the center of everything anymore. I'm really liking Saru and Pike a lot.

Since section 31 is supposed to super secret, they seem to be floating them around alot, they seem to be the worst kept secret in star fleet, and i think they have milked the "search or spock" aspect of the season for as long as they possibly could.

All in all, its been good, but its time to get to the meat and potatoes of the season now.

This is a pretty good series. Michael Burnam comes across as Meredith Grey sometimes in the feelings monologues and that is off putting for trek.

The best thing discovery has offered to star trek is Saru and the Kelpiens. Loved the Vahari episodes.

Is the red angel related to red matter from the movies?

I think the Red Angel is one of the Preservers from "The Paradise Syndrome" episode in TOS.

I am also enjoying Season 2 more than the first season. It does feel more like Star Trek. Oh and I really like Pike. He's been entertaining to watch. His little comments when things are going crazy are great but not so off the wall that they aren't believable. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Future Spock as the red makes great sense. In this way Michael ran away and was never found in the TOS timeline, thus never mentioned. Saved by older Spock it gives us this discovery timeline.and the Kelvin timeline of the movies is also old spock using red matter. That would work.

Is the red angel related to red matter from the movies?

based on the information we have today, no they are not. They have hinted that the area's of the red angle signals there are signs of tachyon (temporal) radiation.

personally, if its future Spock, i think that would be an incredibly lame and lazy writing.

Some of the episodes have had such cheesy lines my wife won't watch it anymore. Burnham needs to be less emotional. They are ruining her character. All gripes aside, I'll still watch it.

Some of the episodes have had such cheesy lines my wife won't watch it anymore. Burnham needs to be less emotional. They are ruining her character. All gripes aside, I'll still watch it.
Like I said about Burnham, I don't mind the emotion, but the emotional monologues like in Grey's Anatomy, that mushy what-is-important-is-how-I-am-dealing-with-all-this introspection does not fit, it is almost imposed. But Burnham tearfully asking if it has to be this way before she helps Saru end his life. That was good.

Trek has always tried to present an idealized and noble future value system, but that is hard to do without being too obvious, otherwise the preaching screams at you. TNG was successful quite in this subtle art of presentation, often because of Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart, they carried the show at times. Unfortunately with Discovery, we have been screamed at quite a bit.

I'll still watch this show. It is interesting. I have never watched a Trek series where I was constantly trying to rewrite/redirect the episodes in my mind as I go through them as I seem to be driven to do with this series. That said, it is interesting enough to keep going.

Looks like the show has been renewed for a 3 season. All Star Trek shows hit their strides in season 3, looking forward to it.

I keep waiting for details on the Picard series. If they don't hit a home run with it, I'm going to be massively disappointed.

I keep waiting for details on the Picard series. If they don't hit a home run with it, I'm going to be massively disappointed.

then you should not even bother. no show hits a home run in first couple of episodes, and a lot of times not even in its first season. Star Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, all of these shows needed time to find their legs and required changes and refinements before they were popularly accepted as "good".

I really don't get this mentality of, "if its not the best show ever, i won't waste my time with it."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom