Will you watch Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Didn't really like the ending and how they "tied it up" not to interfere with the timeline. We spent the whole year meddling with time, as if we can't be on a completely different timeline. The whole treason to talk about Discovery just felt like a weak excuse for having all this advanced tech appear before the Original Series and be glossed over as if that's that.

But that was certainly one of the best battle sequences in Star Trek.

I don't see where any time was meddled with. the Timeline unfolded just as it was meant time, not time lines were altered, if anything it was fulfilled. I would say yes, the explanation as to why there is spore drive, spoke sister, or section 31 in TOS was rushed, but not terrible. Classifying everything about Discovery as Top Secret isn't that much different then banning everyone from Talos IV under penalty of death, and it pushes section 31 back into the shadows (though i admit, putting a known former Klingon as its director was a bi of a stretch). It was quick and abrupt, but believable to maintain consistency with the prime timeline, and if it gives us a little more screen time with the Enterprise, i'm ok with that.

The battle was epic, though i could have lived without the drone swarm, it just make the early parts of the battle hard to see. The battle got better as it became capital ship vs capital ship, and once again, the Enterprise stole the show. The re-imagined Enterprise and its crew was outstanding and I loved how it got a bigger focus as the episode moved on, and ended on it.

I like that the correct Klingon warships (D7's) are back.

So at the end of Season 2, we have the prime TOS Starfleet in a state that we would normally expect it to be. In a perfect world, Star Trek Discovery would end and be replace with Enterprise: The Pike Years (which everyone is asking for). But the more likely thing is that Discovery will appear at the beginning of season 3 in unknown space, in a different time. STD will become the new Voyager only it won't be trying to get back to earth. I'm not sure thats the type of star trek show i want to see (again) but i guess we'll see what happens next year.

I'm also glad control didn't turn out to be the origin of the Borg. It just never made sense.

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm also glad control didn't turn out to be the origin of the Borg. It just never made sense.

That theory wasn't the origin of the Borg is was the evolution of the prime Borg into a new timeline.

This season was 100% about time meddling. It doesn't matter if this is the "prime" time line. Dr Burnham changed the timeline several times to save her daughter which in turn allows them to defeat Control by sending the signals to Discovery. We saw the final loop.

peff

Veteran
Reaction score
Watching third season now. Enjoying it!

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Are any of you watching Season 3?
Season 1 was very meh..
Season 2 was much better with Capt Pike.
Season 3.... This might be some of the best Star Trek we've had since TNG. Seriously, it's really good..
Well, season 3 was when TNG really hit its stride, so this could be a thing. And no, I haven't even watched season 2 yet. I guess I need to get on board the CBS All Access streaming train soon.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Season 1 was very meh..
Season 3.... This might be some of the best Star Trek we've had since TNG. Seriously, it's really good..

Is Burnham still the center of the universe?

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
I guess after all this time, I can honestly answer, "no."

I was intrigued at first, but wasn't about to shell out cash to CBS. I've never seen a single episode of it. Can't say I really have any interest as I've never heard anything but how it's just kind of okay as a show.

I've thought about doing the free trial just to watch "Picard", though. That series has my interest.

Maybe I'll give it a try. Is it possible to skip the "meh" season 1 and still know what's what?

Reaction score
I actually liked the premise of the premiere and didn't have a problem with the Burnham character. I just thought the writing was pretty lousy in the season and a half I made it through. And they made strange decisions about the Klingons.

nolaspe

nolaspe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really am liking this season as well. I'm liking the development of Tilly as a character. Plus, there's a cat named Grudge lol.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I actually liked the premise of the premiere and didn't have a problem with the Burnham character. I just thought the writing was pretty lousy in the season and a half I made it through. And they made strange decisions about the Klingons.

You are not wrong for saying that. The 1st season was lame by many standards. The 2nd season got better because of Anson Mount playing Capt Pike. He was so good they are doing a new show for him and the Enterprise called "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds".

But this 3rd season looks and feels like real Star Trek.

EDIT: But you really should watch the 2nd season before checking season 3.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Netflix has in it MX. Started watching it when I was there because the promo caught my attention. I watched maybe 6 episodes? I can't say I miss watching it.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Season 1 was very meh..

Personally, I think that all three seasons have been great. Frankly, it's the best Star Trek series that has ever been made. The production values and acting have all been great. And the story lines are probably the most interesting and well developed of any Star Trek series. And, I am a big fan of TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess after all this time, I can honestly answer, "no."

I was intrigued at first, but wasn't about to shell out cash to CBS. I've never seen a single episode of it. Can't say I really have any interest as I've never heard anything but how it's just kind of okay as a show.

I've thought about doing the free trial just to watch "Picard", though. That series has my interest.

Maybe I'll give it a try. Is it possible to skip the "meh" season 1 and still know what's what?

Picard is just okay. But Discovery is really good and I don't really understand what issue people have with Season 1. I didn't find it meh at all. I suspect if there were some issues with it, it was based on this not being the same black and white perfect world that people are used to getting from Star Trek series.

And, once season 3 is over, you can watch all three season in one month for like $8 and then cancel. Easily worth it IMO.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really am liking this season as well. I'm liking the development of Tilly as a character. Plus, there's a cat named Grudge lol.

I have to be honest, Tilly is the one charter on the show I could do without. She seems to be the last vestige of the old hokey Star Trek.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Personally, I think that all three seasons have been great. Frankly, it's the best Star Trek series that has ever been made. The production values and acting have all been great. And the story lines are probably the most interesting and well developed of any Star Trek series. And, I am a big fan of TNG, DS9, and Voyager.
I almost agree with you, but I cannot get over their Klingons. I mean, WTH!!! TNG & especially DS9 did so much to bring the Klingons to life and Discovery comes along and says "NO, these are Klingons!", that's a tough pill to swallow. Season 2 was so good, I chose to ignore their retcon Klingons, joined Discovery's journey and I'm not looking back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom