Will you watch Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access? (1 Viewer)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I almost agree with you, but I cannot get over their Klingons. I mean, WTH!!! TNG & especially DS9 did so much to bring the Klingons to life and Discovery comes along and says "NO, these are Klingons!", that's a tough pill to swallow. Season 2 was so good, I chose to ignore their retcon Klingons, joined Discovery's journey and I'm not looking back.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of what they did with the Klingons, but I can see why they felt it needed a total reboot since the Klingon story has really been run into the ground. Especially with all of the Klingon story lines with Warf in DS9. I'm not sure how much else they could have done with it that wouldn't have just been the same old stuff. But, I do wish they had done something different like maybe lean on the connections with Feudal Japan a bit more.

But, despite not liking how they re-imagined the Klingons, I still think the story lines for season 1 were more interesting than a lot of the stuff in the past. And they seem to have avoided making a bunch of filler episodes to makes sure they have a show that runs enough weeks to get ratings for CBS. It's nice to have a Star Trek show that actually progresses the overall story like every week instead of having a bunch of filler episodes that do nothing for the story and mean that the production values and acting is worse because they are so rushed to put out a certain number of shows ever year.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Picard is just okay. But Discovery is really good and I don't really understand what issue people have with Season 1. I didn't find it meh at all. I suspect if there were some issues with it, it was based on this not being the same black and white perfect world that people are used to getting from Star Trek series.

And, once season 3 is over, you can watch all three season in one month for like $8 and then cancel. Easily worth it IMO.

I thought season 1 was okay and I love the darker type of stories so that means it should've been a shoe in for me thinking it was awesome. I think season 3 is awesome and 2 was much better than 1. I still don't like 1's finale.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Netflix has in it MX. Started watching it when I was there because the promo caught my attention. I watched maybe 6 episodes? I can't say I miss watching it.

You saying this makes me want to drop Access (which I swore I wouldn't get) and use my VPN (don't tell anyone though).

kcirdor

Still Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Picard is just okay. But Discovery is really good and I don't really understand what issue people have with Season 1. I didn't find it meh at all. I suspect if there were some issues with it, it was based on this not being the same black and white perfect world that people are used to getting from Star Trek series.

And, once season 3 is over, you can watch all three season in one month for like $8 and then cancel. Easily worth it IMO.
Yea the whole Spore drive concept using the layer b/w universes to travel introduced in season 1 is some of the best world expansion in sci-fi IMO. The "Terran" captain twist was great. Season 2, Pike became on of my favorite captains. Saru is one of my favorite characters on the show. I like Tilly and Stammets. Personally I have no issue with the Klingons' since we already know their DNA was "changed" at some point to make them look Human(middle eastern), then they kinda "evolved" back into the turtle heads. In this timeline... they don't appear to have altered their DNA to look Human.

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
At this point I'd go back to when the worst part of the show was how the Klingons and their ships looked. Each episode has about 10 min of story with the other 35 mins nothing more then just every crying over how much they love each other and how Bernum is the only person in the galaxy with a conscience, a conscience that justifies her breaking at the rules as she sees fit with no significant consequences. The best part of season 3 has been the 5 min where the emotionless Vulcans and Romulans do all the talking.

Its amazing how the product visuals of the show are so good (with the exception they they are dead set on not giving us a clear view of any starship in any scene whatsoever) and they can't put together a coherent plc for 30 min in addition to 10 min of season arch plot is basically, Michael Burnam saving the Federation....

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You saying this makes me want to drop Access (which I swore I wouldn't get) and use my VPN (don't tell anyone though).

When in MX, one of my little pleasures is to scroll through Netflix and see which movies they have there that are not showing in the U.S. This last trip I caught Baby Driver, The Equalizer, King Arthur (which I kind of regret :hihi: ), Dunkirk, the aforementioned Star Trek: Discovery (so I caught STD in MX :hihi: ) ...

Netflix keeps up with shows better in MX too. For example, Better Call Saul, the have 4 seasons showing in the U.S., but I caught season 5 early this year in MX.

And every show and movie is a "Netflix original" :hihi:

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
At this point I'd go back to when the worst part of the show was how the Klingons and their ships looked. Each episode has about 10 min of story with the other 35 mins nothing more then just every crying over how much they love each other and how Bernum is the only person in the galaxy with a conscience, a conscience that justifies her breaking at the rules as she sees fit with no significant consequences. The best part of season 3 has been the 5 min where the emotionless Vulcans and Romulans do all the talking.

Its amazing how the product visuals of the show are so good (with the exception they they are dead set on not giving us a clear view of any starship in any scene whatsoever) and they can't put together a coherent plc for 30 min in addition to 10 min of season arch plot is basically, Michael Burnam saving the Federation....
You hate Trek. You hate Doctor Who. What do you like these days?

SEAKING

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
is this for the socialization?
if not that doesn't seem anymore cost effective than slingtv -wait - you'd probably have to get an NFL package as well, huh?
ok, nevermind
I tried this a month ago and it works well. NFLHD.TV
It is 15$ a month, excellent picture, see all NFLreplays , games live, other sports and some cable channels.HBO< SHO, CNN,FOX, SCIFI, TBS, PLENTY MORE. I signed up for this month. have a Cyberweek special now for the season. 22.99. Check it out

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Well, if you haven't seen it, I'm tellin' ya to go see it. Season 3 stuck the landing. It was a great episode. I'm really looking forward to Season 4..
tenor.gif

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Well, if you haven't seen it, I'm tellin' ya to go see it. Season 3 stuck the landing. It was a great episode. I'm really looking forward to Season 4..
That a pretty bold statement consider last episode Burman pretty much told Stamets "screw your family, if they have to die to because i think the federation is more important, let them die" and the revelation of the burn being nothing then a teen Kelpian temper tantrum....the only way I see season three redeming itself is by killing Burman off in the season finale.

Best part of the season was seeing Emperor Geogiou back in the mirror universe trying to change the outcome of Burman's betrayl.

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Well that was utterly god awful, the worst episode of the series. I usually take the position that mediocre science fiction is better then no science fiction but this show can't even get up to the level of mediocre Trek anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom