William Goldman, writer of The Princess Bride has passed (1 Viewer)

I am just hearing this. Do people not think this is a big deal? Is he getting overshadowed by Stan Lee?

He did write other good movies. I really like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and All the President's Men. But none of those had the pop cultural impact or are as infinitely quotable as The Princess Bride: (with the possible exception of "Is it safe?")
So long boys! Have fun storming the castle!
Anyone want a peanut?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.

And that's just 3 quick ones off the top of my head. Not even including the ones already thrown out in this thread. Ask three other people and you'll get three completely different lines. While those other movies are good (maybe even great for a couple of them) they aren't all time classics like the Princess Bride.
I still show it in class to my 6th graders and the boys just moan and complain when they hear the name. It's so funny because they are just like Fred Savage's character in the movie. I have to convince them that it has fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... , and boy do they hate the kissing. But by the end they don't mind so much.

I still show it in class to my 6th graders and the boys just moan and complain when they hear the name. It's so funny because they are just like Fred Savage's character in the movie. I have to convince them that it has fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... , and boy do they hate the kissing. But by the end they don't mind so much.
love this
my wife indoctrinated our oldest HARD with both Star Wars and Princess Bride
when he was 4-6, it was ALWAYS on and we ALWAYS had to re-create the sword duel scene
i did not mind in the slightest

RIP William Goldman.

I ended up having two girls, but my wife and I decided that we were going to name our baby (either one) Westley if it was a boy - and for no other reason than we love Princess Bride and like the name.
So did you name one of the girls Buttercup?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom