Willie Snead (1 Viewer)

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Going on record, I believe he'll be our #1 receiver by the end of the year as long as he's healthy. Guy runs clean routes, great hands and after the catch he's a wow machine.

Not knocking Cooks but I believe WS is way better after first contact.

He's not fast enough or big enough to be that guy, but he's a solid #2 or 3. Dont get me wrong, I love me some Snead. Cooks is the guy for now; but I see Thomas eventually as the #1 just due to his catch radius, size and ability to box out, hands, and route running. He is pretty close to the total package.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

He's not fast enough or big enough to be that guy, but he's a solid #2 or 3. Dont get me wrong, I love me some Snead. Cooks is the guy for now; but I see Thomas eventually as the #1 just due to his catch radius, size and ability to box out, hands, and route running. He is pretty close to the total package.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

You don't need to be big or fast to be a team's #1 WR. You just have to produce like one....and yes, if Snead stays healthy, he has the ability to lead our team in receiving production

Either way, he deserves a new contract right now.

In New Orleans, there was/is no #1 receiving option, whether it was Colston, Moore, Graham, Snead, etc. This is a team that relies on a balance even more than a star. The gameplans and targets change from game to game. Cooks may have 150 and 2 scores one week, then it's 145 and 2 for Snead the following, and then Fleener for 101 and 1. Or Spiller/Cadet/whoever for 121. Payton and Brees take what the defense allows when it comes to passing, possibly better than any other combination.

Yardage leaders in NO last 5 years:
2015: 1,138 & 984
2014: 931 & 902
2013: 1,215 & 943
2012: 1,154 & 1,041
2011: 1,310 & 1,143

Snead is not a #1. Cooks is and Thomas may have the potential to be. Snead is our new lance Moore but slightly better.

In New Orleans, there was/is no #1 receiving option, whether it was Colston, Moore, Graham, Snead, etc. This is a team that relies on a balance even more than a star. The gameplans and targets change from game to game. Cooks may have 150 and 2 scores one week, then it's 145 and 2 for Snead the following, and then Fleener for 101 and 1. Or Spiller/Cadet/whoever for 121. Payton and Brees take what the defense allows when it comes to passing, possibly better than any other combination.

Yardage leaders in NO last 5 years:
2015: 1,138 & 984
2014: 931 & 902
2013: 1,215 & 943
2012: 1,154 & 1,041
2011: 1,310 & 1,143

This.

And from a contract standpoint, he'll be like Pierre Thomas was under his first contract. He'll be that discount lawnmower that cuts like a dream because Store X was having a closeout sale. The best performance imaginable for the money spent.

I love me some Snead. But I think we drafted Thomas to be the 2. So that makes Snead #3. He's a beast. And I love his physicality, hands, and route running. But no way he's #1. He's the best #3 in the league though

I quoted myself here from a different thread about offensive guys nobody is talking about:

My fantasy draft is fast approaching, and the guy I'm targeting for the Saints is Mr. Willie Snead! I think Cooks will be over-drafted based on his skills and name/status as considered the Saints #1 WR. I also think Thomas is getting a bunch of hype as a rookie sensation, and that may or may not pan-out.

Meanwhile, Snead has displayed a rapport with Drew Brees, and it looks like (to me) that Snead is the WR that Drew trusts the most. I will not be surprised if Willie's numbers are better than Cooks' at the end of the season.

I have also been impressed with Spiller. If he stays healthy, and something were to happen, I don't think Hightower would be the guy again this year. Spiller looks primed to be a key part of this offense this season, even if everyone stays healthy.

Snead though - I got a really good feeling about Willie Snead.

So I'm agreement with the OP (or he agrees with me).

Snead had only three TDs last year. Brees simply does not look to him for TDs unless there is a injury or they are playing a big offensive game like the giants last year. Cooks was the one getting the TDs, followed by Watson and Colston. Colston had five TDs last year(I think) but he was so ineffective for the most part. In his place, Coleman had an additional two TDs(not counting the one against Carolina as he was filling in for Snead). However, Snead had some 100 yard games, but they were usually when saints were playing from behind, forced to throw, or in big offensive games. Snead's best showings were Philadelphia, NYG, TB, and Jacksonville. The target order for TDs is likely going to be 1.Cooks 2.Fleener 3.Thomas 4.Spiller 5.Snead

Snead had only three TDs last year. Brees simply does not look to him for TDs unless there is a injury or they are playing a big offensive game like the giants last year. Cooks was the one getting the TDs, followed by Watson and Colston. Colston had five TDs last year(I think) but he was so ineffective for the most part. In his place, Coleman had an additional two TDs(not counting the one against Carolina as he was filling in for Snead). However, Snead had some 100 yard games, but they were usually when saints were playing from behind, forced to throw, or in big offensive games. Snead's best showings were Philadelphia, NYG, TB, and Jacksonville. The target order for TDs is likely going to be 1.Cooks 2.Fleener 3.Thomas 4.Spiller 5.Snead
Agree with your order. I'm hoping Thomas can be the go to guy as the season progresses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Decker, Welker, Edelman, Snead is in that class of player.

If Cooks keeps improving he'll be in with the likes of Moss, Rice.

Decker is not a slot receiver like Welker or Edelman. Snead isn't really one either. He was last year at times but Thomas is that player now. Snead needs to get more attention from Drew to be that class of player. One the media recognizes. If you get TDs you get recognized.

Cooks is considered the #1 by media types as well as opposing defenses, but when they give him the extra attention he can be neutralized. He also doesn't do much in RAC, as he goes down very easy. With that said, Cooks has great speed and quickness and defenses have to respect that.

Thomas has the physical skills and frame to warrant attention from defenses even though he is a rookie. As good as he could be, he's not Colston yet and he will take time to develop at the NFL level.

Fleener is an athletic guy and big target. Teams know how we like to use the TE, so he's going to get attention. I don't think Brees really trusts him yet, and the reports out of TC kind of confirm that.

That leaves Snead. Drew trusts him. He runs great routes. He's got very reliable hands. He runs hard after the catch. He knows the offense. He may not be the fastest or the quickest guy, but he's fast enough and quick enough to get the job done. I think the fact that he doesn't have any 1 great skill almost works to his advantage. He doesn't scare anyone. However, I think he will be the guy Drew relies on the most, especially early in the season until Snead forces defenses to pay more attention to him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom