Wilson gets Mega Deal (1 Viewer)

That's how the NFL works.
People need to get used to the idea that the next QB is going to be either a rookie on his rookie deal or a cheap game manager.
That's how you win super bowls.

The intent with Mahomes is that they win a super bowl before they have to pay him. Once they pay him, it's time to reload the roster with draft picks and let the stars move on.

We've done an excellent job of building a great young (cheap) team that we can insert either a draft pick qb or medium priced free agent qb in Drew's place to put ourselves in a position to go after another one.

Who is winning super bowls with those guys? Brady has won 3 of the last 5.

Who is winning super bowls with those guys? Brady has won 3 of the last 5.

Well Mahomes was in the tittle game last year which was won by the refs much like ours was lost.
The Ravens made the playoffs with a Rookie and the Texans made the playoffs with a 2nd year QB.

The Patriots are giving it one last run. It will be interesting to see how their system works without Gronk opening everything up for the other WR's.

On the NFC side you have the Bears, Rams and Dallas all making the playoffs with young QB's.

Once all these guys get paid, their teams will fall apart like the seahawks. At that point you have to trade away assets for picks and try to nail a draft the way we did and get lots of young talent to rebuild the roster until it's time to go get another young/cheap QB again.

I was thinking the same thing while I was posting some comments on this thread. I don't know the number to adjust base on the market at that time. What I posted may contradict my thoughts when we signed Brees. However Brees deal seems to be a more cautious but good deal for both side. Not many teams was rushing to sign Brees at the time. But what should be a measuring stick would be how much a team is paying their other franchise quarterback back in 2006. But man how time has changed....10 million per year for the a GOAT at the time. WOW.

We made Brees the 9th highest paid QB at the time. He was quickly making less than most of the QB's in his own division until 2011.

hmph... I wanted him here in New Orleans next season on a prove it deal.

I would have liked him here...but...he's got nothing to prove imo. There's a reason the Hawks broke the bank to keep him.

That said, for that much money, he's going to have to raise the bar even more. That's a tall order, even for him.

Hmmm. To me Wilson is a very good quarterback. Not really elite but you can build a team around him. And he comes off as a down to earth good guy that seems likeable. But I know within the team and some of his teammates, current and former, don't like him as much. Seems like some are jealous of his relationship with coaches and the front office. I wonder, with his new mega deal, will this affect his relationship with his teammates even more. And that if he doesn't lead the team back to a winning culture that all blame will be solely on Wilson, even when it fair or unfair.

Well, the reality was that if the Seahawks tagged him, his cap numbers were going to be huge. This is another situation, where the Tag hurts the team in negotiations, so Wilson was smart to push the issue by saying sign me by this date, or else.

I think it was a smart decision by him. How will others respond? Well, if they're selfish, they'll respond negatively. If they're not, then they may see it as the team making bold moves to keep who they value (and who has a monetary advantage over them.. i.e. the tags).

It would be wise to not view these contracts on talent alone, but on the specific negotiating power the player has over the team at the moment. These last few huge contracts this year, have mostly been due to franchise tag values, because the teams would franchise tag them.

I see us drafting a QB in 2020. That may be the only way we can afford to keep all of our non-QB stars on the roster given the cost of a upper tier veteran QB.

Wow....that is a TON of money. Do you almost HAVE to pay? Yes. Should you? Yes. That is the single most difficult position to find in ALL of sports imo. Paying QBs is a serious catch-22:

1. If you don't have an elite or really good QB, then you won't win a SB or your chances are extremely slim.
  2. If you're one of the teams that pay your QB a TON of money, then you won't win the SB.

I am convinced some of ya'll don't watch much football outside of the Saints (or generally don't understand how it works in the NFL today)... Wilson has been responsible for like 80+ percent of the Seahawks total offense output/scoring, or something insane like that....

He has been a legit MVP candidate on a mediocre (at best - the last couple years) team....

He's easily a top tier QB with room to get better, and has won a SB...

On top of that, he seems like a good guy that teammates respect...

If anyone deserves to get paid crazy.... it's Russ.

That’s what elite QBs will be getting. I mean what do you think Mahomes will get if Wilson got that much?

The problem is that Wilson isn't elite. You can't pay a guy $35M a year to throw for 3500 yards. You need a QB getting paid that much to be the 4500+ yard / 45 TD type guy.

And I'm not a hater. I like him and would have loved for him to come here if he became a FA. At that number it's insanity though. Especially when so much of their success is predicated on good defensive play.

Last edited:
I would have liked him here...but...he's got nothing to prove imo. There's a reason the Hawks broke the bank to keep him.

That said, for that much money, he's going to have to raise the bar even more. That's a tall order, even for him.

I guess I should've ended my post with a LOL or jk or something.

That's how the NFL works.
People need to get used to the idea that the next QB is going to be either a rookie on his rookie deal or a cheap game manager.
That's how you win super bowls.

The intent with Mahomes is that they win a super bowl before they have to pay him. Once they pay him, it's time to reload the roster with draft picks and let the stars move on.

We've done an excellent job of building a great young (cheap) team that we can insert either a draft pick qb or medium priced free agent qb in Drew's place to put ourselves in a position to go after another one.

Exactly

The following is slightly dated,but it shows what teams are dealing with now. 2019 will be the last year Carson Wentz and
Jared Goff will be playing cheap. The Eagles and Rams will likely exercise their 5th year option. This will put their 2020
salaries in the 24 mil per year range. Fans of those teams will find out very soon what we've known for years.

http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...s-face-big-decision-on-carson-wentzs-contract

The problem is that Wilson isn't elite. He's really not even close from a production standpoint. You can't pay a guy $35M a year to throw for 3500 yards. You need a QB getting paid that much to be the 4500+ yard / 45 TD type guy.

And I'm not a hater. I like him and would have loved for him to come here if he became a FA. At that number it's insanity though. Especially when so much of their success is predicated on good defensive play.

At some point teams will end up being a QB, 3 to 4 years worth of draft picks, and a bunch of UDFA's at the rate we're going.

The problem is that Wilson isn't elite. He's really not even close from a production standpoint. You can't pay a guy $35M a year to throw for 3500 yards. You need a QB getting paid that much to be the 4500+ yard / 45 TD type guy.

I see what you are saying, but RW accounted for 4500 total yards from 2105-2017. 4300 yards in 2014. His legs are more dangerous than most arms in the league. Although he didn’t run as much last year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom