Wilson gets Mega Deal (1 Viewer)

Also, let's look at the Salary cap over time.

2012, making an "average" of $20M per year, was about 16.6% of the salary cap (reality is we know he didn't earn 20M per year, he earned varying amounts as the years went).

Now, 2018, Wilson is getting an "average" of $35M per year, which is 19.8% of the salary cap. (edit, I need to correct for 2019's salary cap.. oops. 188.2M, so that's 18.6%)

So, clearly a few % higher, but not drastically. And, we all know the average number isn't that meaningful. It's the structure, signing bonus and guaranteed money. I think the $65M reported signing bonus is what is significant, and clearly based on the value of the two franchise tags they would have had to spend to keep him.

He was going to get $55M in the next two years regardless, so to pay him $65M up front, to get 4 years (vs 2, and both being "unhappy years") isn't that much of a stretch.

Potentially, in 4 years, they could have had to pay (rounding to nearest whole) $25M + 30M + 36M + $52M. That's about $143M right there... Probably $144 ish, if I included the decimals.

That's why he got the big contract.

In less than two years what Seattle is paying Wilson will look like a bargain.

That's the nature of escalating QB salaries in the NFL. .. it just is.

Personally, I'm happy.

Look at in the context that Dallas gave Demarcus Ware a 105 million dollar 5 yr contract. Wilson got 35 million more for a 4yr contract so really it may not be that bad because I think Wilson is more critical to the Seahawks than Ware is to the Cowboys.

Crazy money to play a kids game.
The pay scale is crazy.
NFL fans need to demand lower
prices all around to stop the madness.
Less the nfl makes, the less they get paid.
The nfl is nothing without its fans.
Just obsurd numbers

Crazy money to play a kids game.
The pay scale is crazy.
NFL fans need to demand lower
prices all around to stop the madness.
Less the nfl makes, the less they get paid.
The nfl is nothing without its fans.
Just obsurd numbers

I agree but it isn't as absurd as baseball but overall pro sport athletes are way overpaid.
Actually there are very few players that get these types of contracts to play such a violent sport even if they know what it entails. The problem is 2/3 of the money is tied up in the superstars of the sport those stars that the NFL uses to promote the business.

Tough number to swallow, but the Seahawks had to do it. He's too valuable. Good move on their part.

I keep hoping that these mega QB salary deals start to calm down - teams start to view the percentage of cap to one player/position. But it doesn't look like it ever will.

Tough number to swallow, but the Seahawks had to do it. He's too valuable. Good move on their part.

I keep hoping that these mega QB salary deals start to calm down - teams start to view the percentage of cap to one player/position. But it doesn't look like it ever will.

Going forward, I wonder how much sense the math will make to force a Tag after a rookie deal, instead of using them as leverage after a "re-signing" contract. If the QB or star is good, might be best to throw a tag away early, when it's cheaper. Later, it can cost you an insane amount.

I agree but it isn't as absurd as baseball but overall pro sport athletes are way overpaid.
Actually there are very few players that get these types of contracts to play such a violent sport even if they know what it entails. The problem is 2/3 of the money is tied up in the superstars of the sport those stars that the NFL uses to promote the business.
same thing in the movie business

Russ deserves that money as much as any quarterback in the league without question. He should, however, be docked a few million for that douche chill inducing announcement that he made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom