Wilson Not Willing to Sign After Deadline (1 Viewer)

This is a guy I’d be willing to give up an entire draft for.

Nice thought, but that wouldn't even be close.

For the Chiefs to move up 17 spots in the draft to get Mahomes, they had to swap firsts, give up another first and a third.

In 2012, for the Redskins to move up from 6 to 2 (4 spots) to get RGIII , they gave up a 2012 second, a 2013 first, and a 2014 first.

These were trades for an unknown commodity.

This is for a top-tier QB in his prime. One of the shows on SiriusXM NFL Radio speculates that it could take 4 first rounders, and then have to pay $35 million per year.

I am a huge Wilson fan. imho, SP wants a mobile QB to replace Brees, at least mobile enough to buy time around the pocket to let receiver progressions mature. SP seemed enamored by Mahomes and Baker, both who can flat out scramble and create havoc for defenses.

In house already is Hill who fits the Mahomes/Baker mode in terms of creating havoc with his athletic ability. But will Hill ever be good enough to lead an SP offense? Teddy B fits the mode of athletic enough to buy time around the pocket.

Now, if Wilson ever really became available, I'd say that we throw the boat after him. I just don't think Pete Carol will let Wilson free. I personally do not like Carol at all. He shafted Reggie on his way out of SC to take the blame away from himself.

But regardless of my personal feelings, Carol is a Top 5 coach over the past 10 years. He knows that he can get away with a very poor and cheap blocking O-line with Wilson. So Wilson is worth another $15 million or so in cap space for the Hawks. Carol just needs inline OL blockers to support his run game.

But if Wilson came free, with the young talent we have on this team, the SB would be a possibility every year. I believe this is a Saints dream but not reality.

Pete Carroll is a piece of work that will throw anyone under the bus to protect himself. He has also fallen off the cliff as a coach mainly because he doesn't have the front office he did when he had initial success and is now making most of the personnel decisions (poorly). Since the Unger trade he has done a fantastic job of dismantling a very good offensive line which had lead to what the Seahawks are today....

I can't see a scenario where Wilson winds up here unless he demands to, and I think that is very unlikely....

I doubt the Saints could pay the asking price, but Wilson's quietly put up some very strong numbers on a team with a horrendous pass blocking offensive line, extremely average receiving corps, and is heavily focused on running the ball. For him to have the success he's had in an offensive scheme that's done almost nothing to actually utilize his talents? Just imagine what he'd do with a guy like Sean Payton who would personalize the offense to highlight Wilson's ability.

I'm a fan too. I wish like crazy that we could get him with Coach Payton but I just don't see how we could ever have Wilson and Brees on the same team. Wilson isn't going to take a back seat.

I predict he ends up in NY

I doubt the Saints could pay the asking price, but Wilson's quietly put up some very strong numbers on a team with a horrendous pass blocking offensive line, extremely average receiving corps, and is heavily focused on running the ball. For him to have the success he's had in an offensive scheme that's done almost nothing to actually utilize his talents? Just imagine what he'd do with a guy like Sean Payton who would personalize the offense to highlight Wilson's ability.
That’s true. Very true. Even though I posted the opposing perspective in a reply above, you make a compelling point. High end QB play is the single greatest differentiator for a playoff type season. If we somehow bring in Wilson, pay him what he deserves, but we lose the ability to retain a few really good players coming off their rookie contracts shortly, you could still make a strong case that having a franchise qb of Wilson’s caliber is a net positive.

Sorry I can't stand that distractions. Those players with famous wives allow their wives to make every decision into a media spectacle. Most time it just affects their career and the team's involve negatively. I like Wilson to play for us but with his wife in the picture, I think I would pass on that one.
This.

I want nothing to do with his wife or his bs either. He set a deadline and it passed. It feels like circa 06’ with Kim dating and controlling Reggie and wanting 5 kids or whatever. All these players with the diva wives are just too much, it hasn’t worked yet. Except for Brady, only one really. I think we’re more than ok without Wilson.
Bridgewater is fine, Hill is a great 3rd back up. I’d love to get Will Grier somehow but I don’t see that happening.

We don’t have enough $ to pay top $ to another QB anytime soon. We have Kamara, Thomas, and others coming up that will take up some serious cap $

Regardless of where Wilson ends up signing, it would be interesting to see if he is still the same type of player later on in his career.

He is 30 right now, and a big part of his game is his quickness and speed in/out of the pocket. He's a great passer as well, but not a pure pocket player like Brees, Brady, Manning(s) etc.

I would be interesting to see if he can play the same way later into his career. I'm not saying he is declining in any way, he can probably play for the next 4-5 years at the same level, but it'd be interesting to see what happens then or if he changes his playing style.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom