Wilson to the Saints makes too much sense, So it will never happen (1 Viewer)

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
I wish all the talking heads would stop talking about it, makes it hard for me to sleep, plus I have no idea how they could make it work, cap-wise, but the possibilities...

It's what the offseason is made for...

I think Russ and Rodgers both stay with their current teams. Trading for Watson is a big risk because the issues he's dealing with. I think Saints will sign Winston to a new contract. A short-term deal like 2 years. That's my guess.
I sure hope so. Watson is tainted, plus it's foolish to give up the farm for a running QB, while his style is amazing to watch it rarely lasts a long time. Rodgers is getting up there with age and I have a feeling he's not going to mesh well with Payton; if they happen to make the SB his complaints about leaving are moot anyway, so he might even stay put. As for Wilson, it's impossible given the cap number and contratual situation. He's a great QB, but we'd need to retool the offense to suit him and have no cap space/offensive playmakers outside of Kamara/CGM. So I'm hoping we resign Winston, I think he wants to be here and I for one liked what I was seeing out of him. I'm convinced Devin White's dirty tackle took us out of the playoffs as much as anything else.

I sure hope so. Watson is tainted, plus it's foolish to give up the farm for a running QB, while his style is amazing to watch it rarely lasts a long time. Rodgers is getting up there with age and I have a feeling he's not going to mesh well with Payton; if they happen to make the SB his complaints about leaving are moot anyway, so he might even stay put. As for Wilson, it's impossible given the cap number and contratual situation. He's a great QB, but we'd need to retool the offense to suit him and have no cap space/offensive playmakers outside of Kamara/CGM. So I'm hoping we resign Winston, I think he wants to be here and I for one liked what I was seeing out of him. I'm convinced Devin White's dirty tackle took us out of the playoffs as much as anything else.
Watson has just the same accuracy and arm strength, if not, more than Winston though lol. And faster. Ask PJ Williams in the Texans game 2 seasons ago lol.

I agree with everything else, and if those are the reasons why the team shouldn’t want him because of his image, then I agree.

But saying the team shouldn’t want Watson because he is just a running QB and not mentioning that his arm strength and accuracy is as good if not better than your current QB is crazy.

If that logic is true, then the team definitely shouldn’t want Wilson either because he is also a running QB who is older.

Last edited:
I am still aboard the Winston train, right now. He has had enough time in the Saints system and as the starter for the Saints to hit the ground running. I have the impression that he started the season last year in training-wheels-protocol and was just at the point of opening up his game when the injury occurred.

Even if Wilson or Watson were to be doable deals, they would be starting from scratch. Winston is the better QB for the Saints in 2022.

But saying the team shouldn’t want Watson because he is just a running QB and not mentioning that his arm strength and accuracy is as good if not better than your current QB is crazy.
Not sure I would have wanted Michael Vick at any point. (FWIW I think he's largely redeemed himself as a person post-conviction, YMMV.)

Lot more to QB than athletic ability and arm talent.

Otherwise, Jeff George would be in Canton already.

Not sure I would have wanted Michael Vick at any point. (FWIW I think he's largely redeemed himself as a person post-conviction, YMMV.)

Lot more to QB than athletic ability and arm talent.

Otherwise, Jeff George would be in Canton already.

Exactly. I wouldn't want a QB just strictly for their speed.

I was addressing the fact that Watson has a better or equal accuracy and arm strength than Winston in addition to being faster than Winston.

Therefore, not wanting Watson because he's fast is crazy, especially when has equal or better skills than Winston

I wish all the talking heads would stop talking about it, makes it hard for me to sleep, plus I have no idea how they could make it work, cap-wise, but the possibilities...

It's what the offseason is made for...
The only way the Saints could get Wilson is if the community could provide a psuedo-NIL program for him that would keep him financially satisfied. We would need the major companies in the area to put him on several endorsement contracts that would add up enough to keep him (and his agent) from needing a $100 million+ contract from the Saints. :covri:

I'm not sure if we can make a real play to get him... But if there is a chance, we'd be dumb not to try.

All-World QBs don't grow on trees, and the bare-bones real world odds of winning a SB (which is the real/only goal every season) without one is slim and none based on history.

And while I think both JW and Taysom can win us games and keep us competitive by playing "game manager..." and limiting turnovers.... and relying on the defense and run game (and pray that we can get better and stay healthy on the Oline / WR - TE)....

If I am being totally honest and not living in fanboy land... neither of our current QBs is great, non-upgradable, or some all-pro QB that will "WIN US GAMES" when the other pieces are having a bad day, or injuries strike, or any other adversity hits. (Which is going to happen in a NFL season)

Look at this list...

It's chock full of HOFers... and a light sprinkling of guys that got lucky with great teams.

Way more times than not though... the same guys show up... and the Dilfers / Johnsons / Hostetlers are the outliers... not the norm.

If you can get Rus Wilson (SB winning, All-Pro, Super QB)... It's a no-brainer... which is why it's unlikely.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’ve seen what Winston is fully capable of doing in this offense. As another poster said it felt like Payton was keeping the training wheels on while Winston got more comfortable in the offense but then disaster struck. So we never got to see the entire offense, IMO. Not to mention we are missing reliable skill position players.

I remain on team Winston and I think bringing him back and not chasing after Wilson or Rodgers allows the team to keep their draft picks and reload the offense and add depth while also keeping key pieces like Marcus Williams on defense.

Wilson and Rodgers will both be with new teams next season I just don’t think it will be the Saints.

I don’t think we’ve seen what Winston is fully capable of doing in this offense. As another poster said it felt like Payton was keeping the training wheels on while Winston got more comfortable in the offense but then disaster struck. So we never got to see the entire offense, IMO. Not to mention we are missing reliable skill position players.

I remain on team Winston and I think bringing him back and not chasing after Wilson or Rodgers allows the team to keep their draft picks and reload the offense and add depth while also keeping key pieces like Marcus Williams on defense.

Agreed. When I think of QB scenarios that make the most sense, this is the one, and for the reasons you covered.

Secondary to that would be drafting a better developmental prospect than we currently have, and improving QB depth from the bottom up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom