Wilson to the Saints makes too much sense, So it will never happen (1 Viewer)

This is crazy...Russel Wilson's 3,300 yards did not get Seattle to or win that SuperBowl...their defense did
The following year, His 3,400 yards didn't get Seattle to the Superbowl, but his INT at the end lost it.

This brings up something I've been thinking about, because it's something that occurred to me when yardage totals dropped for the Saints this season.

I think we got so accustomed to Brees going out and throwing for 300+ yards a game, and making 400 yard days look easy, that it became the norm.

In Wilson's championship season, he averaged 210 yards passing a game, a mark that Winston surpassed in each of his last three full starts this season.

Now, that isn't some attempt to make a bigger comparison between the two quarterbacks - Wilson is the more proven and successful player - but it does give a real world example in recalibrating expectations about passing game success.

A 4,000 yard season requires that a QB pass for an average of 250 yards a game over 16 games. I don't know about others, but that is some perspective that got warped for me during the Brees era.

I'm confused about what makes too much sense? What exactly does Wilson provide that we couldn't get for a third of the price? Does it make sense to trade away future draft picks and sign a QB to a massive deal that's slightly above average? What about Russ' game makes you think "we gotta have that"?

This brings up something I've been thinking about, because it's something that occurred to me when yardage totals dropped for the Saints this season.

I think we got so accustomed to Brees going out and throwing for 300+ yards a game, and making 400 yard days look easy, that it became the norm.

In Wilson's championship season, he averaged 210 yards passing a game, a mark that Winston surpassed in each of his last three full starts this season.

Now, that isn't some attempt to make a bigger comparison between the two quarterbacks - Wilson is the more proven and successful player - but it does give a real world example in recalibrating expectations about passing game success.

A 4,000 yard season requires that a QB pass for an average of 250 yards a game over 16 games. I don't know about others, but that is some perspective that got warped for me during the Brees era.
Russel is a career 230 guy, he isn't this elite QB everyone keeps making him out to be. TBH they haven't done much since Lynch left.

Exactly. I wouldn't want a QB just strictly for their speed.

I was addressing the fact that Watson has a better or equal accuracy and arm strength than Winston in addition to being faster than Winston.

Therefore, not wanting Watson because he's fast is crazy, especially when has equal or better skills than Winston
It's a question of how much more he would be an improvement versus the cost to bring him in.

The market is going to be real hot for proven Qbs. Rogers going nowhere. There isn't enough you can trade to get him from GB. Likewise AR is in a very winning situation on his team.

That leaves probably only Watson and Wilson on the trademarket.

Lots of QB needy teams out there can put together better trade packages than the Saints.

If your Seattle are you going to settle on a 18th overall pick and veteran players when you are severely limited in cap room. With Russ on Saints subsequent draft picks will be around the same or lower in the draft order.

WITH WATSON. TEXANS are going to be looking to score alot of high picks. Saints dont fit the bill.

This leaves resigning Winston probably only logical choice. In a very weak QB class there will not a qb available still when Saints draft or at least one you would spend a first round pick on

Last edited:
This is crazy...Russel Wilson's 3,300 yards did not get Seattle to or win that SuperBowl...their defense did
The following year, His 3,400 yards didn't get Seattle to the Superbowl, but his INT at the end lost it.
He ran the play that was called…..that’s not on him. Plus, that Patriots CB said that he recognized that play from film study and he jumped the route perfectly. That’s on the OC, but also one helluva play by that CB. Also, had that Seattle defense not allowed TB12 to throw for 4 TDs, maybe the Seahawks wouldn’t have had to rely on that last play by Russ. He did enough to win that game.

Last edited:
Watson would be my choice if he weren't embroiled in all scandal....behind a good offensive line he would be nearly unstoppable, he is accurate, can make all the throws and has the ability to extend plays with his athletic ability, he also sees the field very well....but if it weren't for the scandal he would likely not be available....

Yup, I remember folks bemoaning the fact that JW wasn't throwing for 300 yards a game. Like passing yards is some great benchmark for winning games.....Hint, it's not....the Saints offense with Brees was more of an anomaly in that regard....and if you look at a lot of the success (including the SB year) our running game was a huge part of it....the Saints have won the division the last number of years mainly because of the running game and Brees taking better care of the football, TD/INT ratio is a huge factor in determining if a team is doing well offensively....passing yards? Not so much....

He ran the play that was called…..that’s not on him. Plus, that Patriots CB said that he recognized that play from film study and he jumped the route perfectly. That’s on the OC, but also one helluva play by that CB. Also, had that Seattle defense not allowed TB12 to throw for 4 TDs, maybe the Seahawks wouldn’t have had to rely on that last play by Russ. He did enough to win that game.
In all fairness, Brady isn't throwing touchdowns like that if Lane doesn't get hurt. That put Tharold Simon on the outside and he was getting burnt all night. But I digress; if it wasn't for that defense, they wouldn't have survived the 4 interception Conference Championship against the Packers. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Do I want Wilson to come here? I don't know. I don't like what we'd have to give up for him in order to get him here when we're going to need the draft picks the next few years.

I'd rather sign Winston to another 1 or 2 year deal and go from there. He was having a good year until he went down with injury. Sure, the yards weren't there, but his TD to INT ration was the best of his career. We need WR help in the worst way.

It makes sense for us. It really doesn't make sense for Seattle, which is why it's unlikely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom