Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

Hey guys, what do u think? P4 2.4ghz processor, 1.5 gig ram, 8X DVD writer, 128mb nvidea card, 250gb hard drive, 350watt power supply. Will that work for Windows 7 or do I need to get some newer stuff?

Any help would be appreciated. I currently have Windows XP SP2 on it.

AP

Hey guys, what do u think? P4 2.4ghz processor, 1.5 gig ram, 8X DVD writer, 128mb nvidea card, 250gb hard drive, 350watt power supply. Will that work for Windows 7 or do I need to get some newer stuff?

AP

It should run it without too much trouble. Resource-intensive software might be slow. You might want to get more RAM.

The best I can do on this rig is going to 2 gig ram and a newer hard drive plus a fancier video card but that is it.

AP

Direct from Microsoft,
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

•1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

•1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Now from experience, I know it will run, and actually pretty well with your system. I was running windows 7 32bit RC on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2.2Ghz) and 2GB Ram with 200GB HD and 8800GT Nvidia card. System ran great with normal use, multiple windows, plus video, plus downloading etc..is a bit much and will make it a little laggy but normal use it's great.

By the way, wanted to let ya'll know how well the "student purchase" of windows 7 went.
My sister is in law school so I used her email account to register.
micorosoft approved and sent the link.
I followed link to purchase windows 7 home premium for 29.99.
Found a small link to purchase windows 7 Pro (for students that need to join a domain) for the same 29.99 and either 32bit or 64bit.
So I did indeed purchase windows 7 64bit retail UPGRADE for 29.99.
Very happy about that price, and luckily i have many product keys for both vista and xp that I can use for the "UPGRADE".

I just bought a new Lenovo laptop. It supposedly came with a free copy. I ended up having to pay $17 in shipping though.

I just got my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate in the mail a few days ago. I clean installed it and am now running it on my laptop. I had some driver issues to begin with, but i backed up my file repository to an external hard drive beforehand. I just told it to search for the drivers in that file, and everything works like a charm now. Just throwin in a suggestion to people who want to clean install, make sure you back up your old drivers first. I'm sure most of you already knew that though...

AP

It will run just fine on that setup. Add as much ram as possible though, according to your system specs, and you could upgrade that video card too, and you will be even better.

I just got my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate in the mail a few days ago. I clean installed it and am now running it on my laptop. I had some driver issues to begin with, but i backed up my file repository to an external hard drive beforehand. I just told it to search for the drivers in that file, and everything works like a charm now. Just throwin in a suggestion to people who want to clean install, make sure you back up your old drivers first. I'm sure most of you already knew that though...

I got my copy also a couple of days ago (Windows 7 Ultimate), so far it has the look and feel of Vista. Hadnt played on it much, but so far I cant tell the difference.

AP

I'm running Win7 on my Dell MINI 10 netbook (single core 1.6 ghz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM) and it's running just fine...though I admit I did upgrade the hard drive to an Indilinx-based Solid State Drive immediately before I put Win7 on the machine. If there was a way I could upgrade the RAM to 2GB (so far there isn't a way), I'd be sitting pretty.

In fact...the combination of the SSD and Win7's enhanced battery-saving features increased my expected battery life from 5.5 hours to 8.

The nicest things about the last two generations of Windows OSes are that they don't have to be more resource intensive than previous generations of Windows. In some cases, they are more streamlined with a smaller footprint and less resource demand (or better thread scheduling..)

Yeah, I'm a bit confused, something special about the 120 day anniversary of the last post? :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom