Windows Vista startup password recovery (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
My neighbor forgot hers. I have tried disabling the admin system and HDD startup passwords from the BIOS but it still asks for it when rebooting. What are my options?

It's a BIOS password? Usually there is a jumper on the motherboard that will clear it.

If it's a windows admin password, there is a boot cd you can use to reset it.

It's a BIOS password? Usually there is a jumper on the motherboard that will clear it.

If it's a windows admin password, there is a boot cd you can use to reset it.

Windows admin. I downloaded a few programs that tell me "Yep, this program can fix that. Now pay for it!"

Dirty little programmers.

Download the boot floppy/CD from here: http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The CD should download as an image, which will be bootable once you burn it. I've never used it on Vista, but it works on XP. It boots a Linux kernel that will edit the windows security file. You will have to answer a series of questions, but if you read carefully and accept defaults, it should blank the administrator password. At one point you will have to type an ! to make sure you are confirming what you are doing.

Not sure if it will work on Vista, but it might.

128938053116739488.jpg

Download the boot floppy/CD from here: http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

The CD should download as an image, which will be bootable once you burn it. I've never used it on Vista, but it works on XP. It boots a Linux kernel that will edit the windows security file. You will have to answer a series of questions, but if you read carefully and accept defaults, it should blank the administrator password. At one point you will have to type an ! to make sure you are confirming what you are doing.

Not sure if it will work on Vista, but it might.

I've used this for Vista. Definitely a life saver.

OPHcrack also works on both Vista and XP.

But no need to crack the password if you have local access and can just edit the local security database. Good tool, though. I used very early versions of it, long ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom