Winning, morality and the ambiguity of "good" (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
in some of the more negative threads, i notice a creeping undertone of moral judgment as some posters "evaluate' the team's problems
just evaluating play and Xs & Os does not fully address the issue for them, an assessment of the team's character is necessary

Culturally we do seem to subconsciously equate "winning" with being good and "losing" with being bad (even though we know better, it's hard for us to not see a rich/successful person as "blessed" and think that a poor person must have done something bad along the way to get where they are)

even in our language the ambiguity of "good" meaning capable or meaning virtuous aids in the confusion/conflation - because a person makes (calls) a bad play, it doesn't make them a bad person

i think this is where the desire to see punishment comes from - some posters want the "bad" people to face a reckoning and that just completely confuses the issue (you might as well get mad at a coin for landing heads up more than 3x in a row)
1. it's not helpful in the analysis of what (if anything) needs to change
2. it takes us into a realm that's difficult to discuss - once we drift into that morality realm, we're discussing belief systems which are 100% subjective - you might as well say, "we shouldn't have Coleman as a receiver b/c his zodiac sign is Cancer and we all know crabs can't catch")

tl/dr - let's try to avoid "moral" assessments of players/the team - not helpful

Interesting subject and one that has been bothering me for a while. I think it is intellectually and emotionally lazy to assign moral judgement rather than football analysis. Perhaps this is reflective of an American mindset that suggests that the only things keeping one from success are desire and ethic. Applied to a losing football team, the explanation then follows that the team is filled with bums who don't care and don't work hard. Very rarely does a player make it to the NFL without an extreme desire to succeed that is supported by an impeccable work ethic. It's just too competitive. It irks me to hear fans disrespect the effort and talent on display, even in an 0 and 3 team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I'm a Libra and looking for some form of balance. 2009 would be great but 2011 would do.

Kinda reminds of this line from Star Trek:

Cp_oWuaWYAAGBdd.jpg

Just because you lose/didn't play well doesn't mean you're an awful person, didn't try hard enough or didn't care. Sometimes you just lose.

in some of the more negative threads, i notice a creeping undertone of moral judgment as some posters "evaluate' the team's problems
just evaluating play and Xs & Os does not fully address the issue for them, an assessment of the team's character is necessary

Culturally we do seem to subconsciously equate "winning" with being good and "losing" with being bad (even though we know better, it's hard for us to not see a rich/successful person as "blessed" and think that a poor person must have done something bad along the way to get where they are)

even in our language the ambiguity of "good" meaning capable or meaning virtuous aids in the confusion/conflation - because a person makes (calls) a bad play, it doesn't make them a bad person

i think this is where the desire to see punishment comes from - some posters want the "bad" people to face a reckoning and that just completely confuses the issue (you might as well get mad at a coin for landing heads up more than 3x in a row)
1. it's not helpful in the analysis of what (if anything) needs to change
2. it takes us into a realm that's difficult to discuss - once we drift into that morality realm, we're discussing belief systems which are 100% subjective - you might as well say, "we shouldn't have Coleman as a receiver b/c his zodiac sign is Cancer and we all know crabs can't catch")

tl/dr - let's try to avoid "moral" assessments of players/the team - not helpful

Really admire your post. Can we take this a little further to the way we treat each other on the Board. The more we lose, the more hostile a good deal of the responses are becoming towards each other. We need a mega Xanax for the Board members :mwink:

Interesting subject and one that has been bothering me for a while. I think it is intellectually and emotionally lazy to assign moral judgement rather than football analysis. Perhaps this is reflective of an American mindset that suggests that the only things keeping one from success are desire and ethic. Applied to a losing football team, the explanation then follows that the team is filled with bums who don't care and don't work hard. Very rarely does a player make it to the NFL without an extreme desire to succeed that is supported by an impeccable work ethic. It's just too competitive. It irks me to hear fans disrespect the effort and talent on display, even in an 0 and 3 team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Beautiful ^ Perfect!

Sounds to me that some people at the acceptance stage of grief is all......

I'm a cancer with a Scorpio Rising and my mercury in Leo. That's why I pound people over the head with my thoughts/logic.

What?:idunno:

Thought it was ok to go there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom