Winston Churchill is a myth?

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
Please don't go their, Doobs. It may be a bit of an insult on that topic. Holocaust Denial has been a bit of a problem in some parts of Europe and dumbing it down sometimes on occasion is too.

You get the message on where it goes from their

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Ratings
Thread starter #5
OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Sour Pennies
Ratings
I seriously question these type of surveys. They're strictly for shock and while there are more then enough stupid people in the world I have a hard time believing there are that many who are that stupid.
You must not work in an industrial environment. Where I work you would probably get numbers even crazier than that from this survey. Granted, I am on a completely different continent but I would wager that at least 60% of my co-workers would believe that Sherlock Holmes was real.

I would imagine that even more would say that Richard the Lionheart was imaginary.

What I find to be stunning is that the study polled 3,000 people in what is apparently London. We're not talking about some back-woods town with a bunch of slack jawed yokels and I would imagine that they weren't polling elementary school students.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Wow. And a majority believe Sherlock Holmes was real, huh?

Time to revamp the curriculum, I think. At least figure out a way to make a clear distinction between literature and history.

ra

I'm happily on drugs
Ratings
Please don't go their, Doobs. It may be a bit of an insult on that topic. Holocaust Denial has been a bit of a problem in some parts of Europe and dumbing it down sometimes on occasion is too.

Let's all go to Doobs.

/their

Doobsdemons

No White Flags
Ratings

Exactly. The whole 'doomed to repeat history' thing. Bad enough if they don't know one of the most recognizable (in name at least) figures in modern British history, but scary if they have no clue about really important matters.
Not trying to stir the pot or troll, just want to know how ignorant or to what extent their ignorance goes.

AndyG

For Yorkshire man
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Exactly. The whole 'doomed to repeat history' thing. Bad enough if they don't know one of the most recognizable (in name at least) figures in modern British history, but scary if they have no clue about really important matters.
Not trying to stir the pot or troll, just want to know how ignorant or to what extent their ignorance goes.

A little research reveals that 100% accept the theory of evolution[1]. 100% wouldn't extrapolate from a UKTV Gold poll to the population as a whole, especially while loading the question (see emphasis above) except when looking to stir the pot or troll[2], and even more so when the evidence thus provided was so palpably weak as to require boosting with spurious holocaust denial insinuations. 100% believe that the phrase "Not trying to stir the pot or troll" can usually be interpreted as "I'm well aware that this is a troll, but I'm not going to let that stop me".[2]

Those who don't learn from the consequences of presenting lame trolls are also destined to repeat their mistakes.

Does that answer your question?

[1] Survey of my office co-workers, Jan, 2008 (sample size = 3)
[2] Survey of those in my office right now (sample size = 1)

varanook

Toad
VIP Contributor
Ratings
You must not work in an industrial environment. Where I work you would probably get numbers even crazier than that from this survey. Granted, I am on a completely different continent but I would wager that at least 60% of my co-workers would believe that Sherlock Holmes was real.

I would imagine that even more would say that Richard the Lionheart was imaginary.

What I find to be stunning is that the study polled 3,000 people in what is apparently London. We're not talking about some back-woods town with a bunch of slack jawed yokels and I would imagine that they weren't polling elementary school students.
+1 I work in the same environment.

They also want Murika to kick arse and take names all the time.

Example of American Schools.
My daughter is in a newspaper class at school.

Her class had to poll the school. The walked around with pictures of McCain and Obama and asked who these people were. Almost no one out the 100-150 they polled knew who they were.
Some answers included someone's dad or grandpa, Bobby Jindal, some president guy, Bill Cosby,George Bush.

Thread starter #13
OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Sour Pennies
Ratings
we have plenty enough dolts here in the good ol' USA.
We have been "blessed" with a wealth of ignorance.

I posted the article because I was a bit surprised. I have met a lot of Brits. Especially when on vacation (Mexico, Las Vegas, etc...) and they have all been quite sharp. This struck me as a "man bites dog" sort of thing. This is what makes it interesting to me.

If this had been a poll that showed the ignorance of the average American it would not have been news to me. I'm keenly aware of what is happening here.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints RSS News Feeds 0