Winston contract details (CHEAP!) (1 Viewer)

Make no mistake, I'm glad he's here because he has so much upside, but he made it through a month of free agency with no bites.

I don't think he's ever had character issues, all I've heard is that he's a good locker room guy and a team leader. His problem has been all about making bad decisions, bad decisions on the football field and bad decisions in life.

I'm not extremely optimistic that any amount of good coaching can change that, but at this price he's a steal. We get the chance to kick the tires for a year, see how he responds to a year with brees, and a year of coaching from our staff, with almost no risk. If they like what they see and decide he's the future, I have no doubt that he would sign a long term deal with us... but a lot has to change to get to that point. Hoping for the best.

Wow.
His weekly game checks last season were more than his base salary for us this year!
He is the 53rd highest paid QB in the league, behind the illustrious:
-CJ Betahard
-DeShone Kizer
-Chad Henne
-Nate Sudfeld
He is here to learn and grow, good for him and unreal insurance for us.

Holy Crap! I was expecting much larger than that.
We should be great in the cap room department.
Winston really had a Come-to-Jesus meeting with his Agent huh?

Make no mistake, I'm glad he's here because he has so much upside, but he made it through a month of free agency with no bites.

Not necessarily true. We know Pittsburgh offered more money. We know we were waiting until after the draft. We don’t know how many other offers he received.

Now we can see why we signed him.

Say what you will about him, but we struck gold!

That might be the most absurd contract I've ever seen lol. He'll be making just a bit more than Tommy Stevens.

Rare video clip of Loomis and Winston negotiating the contract...

giphy.gif
:potd:

I don't think he's ever had character issues, all I've heard is that he's a good locker room guy and a team leader. His problem has been all about making bad decisions, bad decisions on the football field and bad decisions in life.

I'm not extremely optimistic that any amount of good coaching can change that, but at this price he's a steal. We get the chance to kick the tires for a year, see how he responds to a year with brees, and a year of coaching from our staff, with almost no risk. If they like what they see and decide he's the future, I have no doubt that he would sign a long term deal with us... but a lot has to change to get to that point. Hoping for the best.

I don’t think that he didn’t have any bites. It’s been reported that the Steelers made him a more lucrative offer that turned down. There were also probably some terrible teams that offered him and opportunity just as Miami offered Teddy before last season. Teddy turned it down and it worked out for him.

I don't like the signing simply because I don't like Winston at any price, but I'll certainly give the guy credit where credit is due. It's never too late to grow up and learn from your mistakes, and maybe this is his first step. I really do wish him success, but I want Taysom to be our QB after Drew retires.

Wow, I thought 5 million would have been a bargain....that is very telling....I'm really pulling for him....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom