Winston needs to continue to develop, but you take 8:2 TD to TO ratio in the 1st 3 game as promising start with lots of potential. Patience is key. (1 Viewer)

What kind of tin-foil conspiracy nonsense is this? He wasn’t getting interest because for every game he won with his arm, he’d lose another. Tampa’s offense had a lot of talented receiving options, and Winston would have games where he would just float jump balls into triple coverage repeatedly

Most NFL coaches are risk-adverse. If they couldn’t have an elite QB, they’d rather have a safe game manager than a ball-slinging slot machine.
Winston was on a hall of fame trajectory in Tampa, the 30 picks was an enamoly simply because he had never thrown more than 20 in a season prior.

Would have had all the passing records on lock pretty much

But it's pretty clear if Winston is kept clean. Those throws never happen.

And Payton is coaching it out of him. You need to throw away this perceived notion of how QB play from Drew. We aren't in that system anymore. There is no more we'll oiled machine offense. It's a work in progress and have to develop Winston.

Winston on all front has been super coachable every step in this process. He's gonna make bad decisions, but that's when the coaching staff have to come in and correct it. You can practice all you want, but the bulk of player development is through in game action.

Winston wasn't a polished finished product. He came to us with an absolute broken game with terrible mechanics and loads of talent. We stripped his game to his core and rework his philosophy, mechanics, and how he play, but the thing about getting hit and pressure. He's going to regress and it becomes a week to week process of reinforcing this new way for him.

He had one bad mistake in game one
He had several in game two
He had I believed 3 mistakes in this game.

It's a process and being hopeful isn't being delusional that Winston won't fail. He can fail and bottom out come week 9. Yet, I don't want that to happen, because it means our season is lost. Then, our future is to coddle an expensive(Well, probably have to trade up a couple of 1st pick for someone like Matt Corral... [Which isn't worth that in my opinion] ) rookie QB for 4 season to figure out if he's any good. Probably be no better than Winston now.

Franchise QB is just difficult to find. Didn't have the cap space to get Matt Stafford. Don't have the cap space to trade for Rodgers or Russ next year.
Everyone understands he isn't Drew and we aren't in that system anymore, mistakes and bad luck happens from time to time but I think most people would agree don't amplify the situation by being careless with the football. Most of the time when they have turnovers this team can not over come it and lose most games and that's with Drew and SP over a span of 15 years.
As far as practice goes it's just as important as live action whatever your doing in practice should translate onto the field.

We also have to remember that they left New Orleans to get away from a hurricane. So, while it seems Payton has done his best, it’s still been a rough start to the season, with a non perfect working condition for practicing and preparing. The fact they have been a migrant team, new QB, new WRs, new players sprinkled throughout the team and doing as well as they are is pretty amazing.

There are a lot of new and making it up as they go along parts. It also seems that at least for now Carolina is a pretty darn good team, so that was an honest loss.

Best passer rating in his career throwing to nobody.

Winston still making bad decisions when he isn't given perfect protection. He improved from week to week. Still got coach it out of him. Which is perfectly fine. Winston isn't a FINISHED PRODUCT. He still needs a lot of coaching and that could take more than a few games. It could take a couple of season.

Play calling still really plain and limited, but there are a lot of circumstances creating a lot more issues with that.

You can come in here argue whatever you saw or Same OL Winston... I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying that there is a clear progression and development in Winston play. It's not all world, but it's apparent. He's improving. It takes time and you have to be patient.

Winston was much more vocal in week 3 at line of scrimmage.

We lose our LT and able to hold it down with our coaches and players.

Winston this season will not win you games. He just won't. He's not there yet. Winston role this season is to win with him not through him till he can do it.
I agree. I think Winston is going to grow into the kind of QB we can win with this season. Winston's break down as a QB happens, in the seconds it takes to decide when to give up on the play and just protect the ball. Winston is going to start trusting the O line and as the guard play gets better. Jamies will start stepping up in the pocket to extend the play. Instead of scrambling. Winston doesn't need the O line to work perfectly. He does need the line to work. If Sean and the offense can get the ball in the red zone. Winston can score the TDs. Undrafted or not, these WRs are good in the red zone.

But it's pretty clear if Winston is kept clean. Those throws never happen.

And Payton is coaching it out of him. You need to throw away this perceived notion of how QB play from Drew. We aren't in that system anymore. There is no more we'll oiled machine offense. It's a work in progress and have to develop Winston.

Winston on all front has been super coachable every step in this process. He's gonna make bad decisions, but that's when the coaching staff have to come in and correct it. You can practice all you want, but the bulk of player development is through in game action.

Winston wasn't a polished finished product. He came to us with an absolute broken game with terrible mechanics and loads of talent. We stripped his game to his core and rework his philosophy, mechanics, and how he play, but the thing about getting hit and pressure. He's going to regress and it becomes a week to week process of reinforcing this new way for him.

He had one bad mistake in game one
He had several in game two
He had I believed 3 mistakes in this game.

It's a process and being hopeful isn't being delusional that Winston won't fail. He can fail and bottom out come week 9. Yet, I don't want that to happen, because it means our season is lost. Then, our future is to coddle an expensive(Well, probably have to trade up a couple of 1st pick for someone like Matt Corral... [Which isn't worth that in my opinion] ) rookie QB for 4 season to figure out if he's any good. Probably be no better than Winston now.

Franchise QB is just difficult to find. Didn't have the cap space to get Matt Stafford. Don't have the cap space to trade for Rodgers or Russ next year.
We don't need to trade for Rodgers, he can get out of his contract and become a free agent. I'm about 90 percent positive on that.

It’s crazy. There is a ton of pressure on this guy, stepping in the shoes previously filled by a legend, and trying to prove he belongs in the league. And here we are 2-1, having not played at home yet. We beat Green Bay and the Patriots. And most fans, probably the same majority that wanted Hill to start are hyper critical of Winston.

Guess what. Three games in Jameis Winston is:
5th in TD passes (tied with others)
7th in QBR
13th in passer rating
Loved by his teammates

I agree. I think Winston is going to grow into the kind of QB we can win with this season. Winston's break down as a QB happens, in the seconds it takes to decide when to give up on the play and just protect the ball. Winston is going to start trusting the O line and as the guard play gets better. Jamies will start stepping up in the pocket to extend the play. Instead of scrambling. Winston doesn't need the O line to work perfectly. He does need the line to work. If Sean and the offense can get the ball in the red zone. Winston can score the TDs. Undrafted or not, these WRs are good in the red zone.
I am really rooting for Jameis, and I agree there are some positives. The negatives are the same negatives he's always had. The biggest, to me, is his lack of pocket awareness. He doesn't seem to feel the rush and slide around in the pocket, and this is the one that I wonder if it can ever be fixed. Why I think maybe is exhibit A: Taysom Hill. Every year Taysom has been here, I've seen a more polished pocket presence, still not great, but he has learned to step up in the pocket, and seems much more disciplined than he used to, so coaching clearly has a positive impact. Sitting for a year helped fix Jameis's mindset and approach, but only since he's had some live action has the education started on game execution and handling those split second decisions. Unfortunately, he combines a large athletic body with the lack of awareness which creates these situations where linemen are wrapping him up and he still has enough strength to get rid of the ball. The Calloway TD is a perfect example. He said he was trying to throw it away. Mentally, right decision. But as tied up as he was, he couldn't get it out of the end zone, so we get another one of those awkward looking Jameis plays. It's good to be strong enough to get rid of the ball in those situations, seems like the coaching needs to be to throw it at someone's feet or take the sack. Throwing anything up in the air should not be an option when guys have their hands on him.

Look, I think the stress on the whole organization over the past month has been incredible. Losing 10 days with so many offensive coaches in the middle of all of that had to really affect the game plans that CSP felt comfortable with, especially since so many faces are new. The fact that we got out of that stretch at 2-1 is a testament to the organization's ability to weather that storm.

Being back home with all coaches back HAS to be a help in continuing Jameis's education, helping HIM to be more comfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing things slowly look better on the offensive side.

I wanna say the bone headed plays by Winston are down by %75 since he put on the black&gold.
I'm by no means saying he's perfect but he's getting better. I hope to see continued growth as the season progresses.
I'd like Winston to check it down a little sooner too. Recognize blitzes and get it to the RB or TE quickly

Biggest issue is throwing the ball up for grabs when he doesn't need too. He needs to understand 3pts and field position game is ok. Give your defense a chance and don't put them in f up situations. Don't lose the game being stupid, trust your team and coaches.

We missed 2 FGs yesterday.

I am really rooting for Jameis, and I agree there are some positives. The negatives are the same negatives he's always had. The biggest, to me, is his lack of pocket awareness. He doesn't seem to feel the rush and slide around in the pocket, and this is the one that I wonder if it can ever be fixed. Why I think maybe is exhibit A: Taysom Hill. Every year Taysom has been here, I've seen a more polished pocket presence, still not great, but he has learned to step up in the pocket, and seems much more disciplined than he used to, so coaching clearly has a positive impact. Sitting for a year helped fix Jameis's mindset and approach, but only since he's had some live action has the education started on game execution and handling those split second decisions. Unfortunately, he combines a large athletic body with the lack of awareness which creates these situations where linemen are wrapping him up and he still has enough strength to get rid of the ball. The Calloway TD is a perfect example. He said he was trying to throw it away. Mentally, right decision. But as tied up as he was, he couldn't get it out of the end zone, so we get another one of those awkward looking Jameis plays. It's good to be strong enough to get rid of the ball in those situations, seems like the coaching needs to be to throw it at someone's feet or take the sack. Throwing anything up in the air should not be an option when guys have their hands on him.

Look, I think the stress on the whole organization over the past month has been incredible. Losing 10 days with so many offensive coaches in the middle of all of that had to really affect the game plans that CSP felt comfortable with, especially since so many faces are new. The fact that we got out of that stretch at 2-1 is a testament to the organization's ability to weather that storm.

Being back home with all coaches back HAS to be a help in continuing Jameis's education, helping HIM to be more comfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing things slowly look better on the offensive side.
I know a lot of folks are quick to say "that's bad Jameis" but I honestly never paid attention to him in Tampa. I've heard stories of him forcing the ball and trying to play hero ball but I really don't see a reckless player. Just about all QBs can make "dumb" (that some people's favorite word when describing him) plays when they are under pressure but I do think he's doing his best. He's scanning the field is very hesitant to let the ball go early after snap unless his initial read is there. I cannot predict how this is going to play out but I do see progress. Nick mentioned in his pod that all QBs make risky 50/50 throws but guys like Mahomes or Drew get the benefit of the doubt because it has worked more often. Jameis' reputation, legit or not, is a talented but high INT guy which means every questionable decision will be heavily scrutinized until he proves otherwise.

Best passer rating in his career throwing to nobody.

Winston still making bad decisions when he isn't given perfect protection. He improved from week to week. Still got coach it out of him. Which is perfectly fine. Winston isn't a FINISHED PRODUCT. He still needs a lot of coaching and that could take more than a few games. It could take a couple of season.

Play calling still really plain and limited, but there are a lot of circumstances creating a lot more issues with that.

You can come in here argue whatever you saw or Same OL Winston... I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying that there is a clear progression and development in Winston play. It's not all world, but it's apparent. He's improving. It takes time and you have to be patient.

Winston was much more vocal in week 3 at line of scrimmage.

We lose our LT and able to hold it down with our coaches and players.

Winston this season will not win you games. He just won't. He's not there yet. Winston role this season is to win with him not through him till he can do it.
Fair enough but he could easily have 5 ints right now. I do think Payton needs to take the cuffs off tho.

Restraint Winston seems to be having the unintended effect of making him want to press more and throw the ball up for grabs.

Let’s face it…Drew has done that at times too but his leash was infinite lol

I’m happy with his production but eventually those things will balance out and a few of those balls won’t bounce our way. TQS and MT need to get back quickly and Trautman needs to find a groove. He seems to be a good blocker and nothing else

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom