Winston Work Out Video Updates 5-12-21: Working out with Jay Glazer to improve core strength and hip fluidity (1 Viewer)

Apparently Winston sat out against KC because his family got Covid. Which include his child and pregnant wife.

I believe a poster here tryed to start a false rumor that he was getting punished for violating team rules... No shocker that was started here.

Last edited:
From my perspective, it seems that far too much is made of the fact that Tampa won the superbowl after replacing Winston at QB. That fact is true but it is not the only thing that happened. The team replaced him with a 6-time superbowl winning QB AND the defense went from being ranked 15th in the league to 5th in the league.

Tom Brady was set to sign and play for the Saints until Brees was informed of the team's plans. Would we be saying the same thing about Brees' football DNA at the QB position if the only thing the team did was replace Brees with Brady and the Saints won it all? I don't think we would. In fact, Brees' and the Saints not winning it all despite having Brees, CGM and AK41 more than demonstrates that you need all pieces, including a top defense to win a Superbowl.

Winston has all the tools and can make all the throws. Now he has a new perspective, a Sean Payton coached offense with an All-pro WR, a top 5 ranked offensive line and the most versatile running back in the league. I'm excited to see what he will do.
I can respect where you are coming from. The difference is that if Brady had come in and we went to the SB, no one would be saying that about Brees. Brees has cemented who he is. Brees' "football DNA" was never a question. He had certain intagibles, especially his feet, since college. There was something to his playing, processing, accuracy and pocket awareness that only heightened when he entered the NFL.

The Buc's defense moved up in ranking due to the offence not throwing pick 6's, ball control, etc. The defense was playing behind a totally different offense and the "set up" for the defense by Winston was completely different than the "set up" from by Brady.

Winston CAN'T make all the throws, his timing and "out patterns" in the flat are hard to watch. His anticipation was concerning and he tried to wait for receivers to get open then tried to "muscle" the ball into them often. He has ALL THE TOOLS to make all the throws, but he hasn't. I will say that in his time in the 49ers game he was patient, had nice anticipation, went through his reads pretty well and checked down when needed. His toss to Kamara on that seam was really nice with touch and anticipation. He started pressing in the red zone, but when dissecting the 49ers game, there were shades of Winston he had not shown in the past...which is encouraging. IF it all comes together, it could be pretty significant!! His biggest adversary is his own mental game...if he can stay out of his way...wow. If he gets the starting nod, he will have earned it "hands down". If he can not regress and keep progressing and not press, when he can really let it loose with the potential he has, it is exciting to think about.

Is it just me or does JW’s trainers has him do weird workouts? I’m not saying that they are/are not beneficial, they just seem odd.
He has had the same entourage and friends training him for a LONG time. As I have mentioned before, I hope he keeps seeking training and mentorship "outside of his box" for progressing and reinforcing "game time" skills that will translate to the field, not just athletic training.

Listen up Saints fans, no longer will you see defenses stacked up inside a 15 yard window. Why not? We can beat you over the edges now straight up now with a QB that can hit a streaking Deonte Harris in stride. Will he always be as smart and as accurate as Brees in his prime? Probably not. But watching defenses have to defend a whole field for the first time in ages will be a sight to see. We haven't seen the long ball since 09 & 11.

I can respect where you are coming from. The difference is that if Brady had come in and we went to the SB, no one would be saying that about Brees. Brees has cemented who he is. Brees' "football DNA" was never a question. He had certain intagibles, especially his feet, since college. There was something to his playing, processing, accuracy and pocket awareness that only heightened when he entered the NFL.
This is kind of revisionist history here. When Brees entered the league he was not what he was with the Saints. I would argue that coming out of college, Winston's football DNA was equal to Brees. While I won't tout the fact that Winston won the Heisman, I will mention that Winston also won offensive ROY. I'll put this question to you; had we not been set at QB with Brees and had the 1st overall pick when Winston was drafted, do you think the team would not have selected him?

The Buc's defense moved up in ranking due to the offence not throwing pick 6's, ball control, etc. The defense was playing behind a totally different offense and the "set up" for the defense by Winston was completely different than the "set up" from by Brady.
You can't simply discount the Bucs defense to support your argument. The Bucs defense moved up from 15th to 5th because of the players they added. Brady was throwing INTs all over the place early in the season. It was their defense that kept them in games until Brady and the offense started clicking.

I'm fine with people promoting themselves. And if they do...it's nice to see them promoting themselves playing the game of football. There are some that are promoting themselves in non-football ways. Kamara regularly posts his insane (and questionably dangerous) work out routines...and nobody seems to care.

This is kind of revisionist history here. When Brees entered the league he was not what he was with the Saints. I would argue that coming out of college, Winston's football DNA was equal to Brees. While I won't tout the fact that Winston won the Heisman, I will mention that Winston also won offensive ROY. I'll put this question to you; had we not been set at QB with Brees and had the 1st overall pick when Winston was drafted, do you think the team would not have selected him?

You can't simply discount the Bucs defense to support your argument. The Bucs defense moved up from 15th to 5th because of the players they added. Brady was throwing INTs all over the place early in the season. It was their defense that kept them in games until Brady and the offense started clicking.
Don't understand this obsession with Winston and Tampa. If Winston had shown zero of evidence of growth. I'd find more relevant, but the reason we even kept him and resign him is that he shown a lot of growth by the end of the season. His former team mates have even commented the change in Winston.

Just like 2004 vs. 2006 vs. 2009 vs. 2018 Brees aren't the same player. Neither is Winston.

Other than trying to be a Debbie downer in Winston... Which is dumb. It makes no sense to be so down on him. He's already RESIGN, Competing for a starting spot. So, you better hope that he or Hill take huge leaps or we are in for a bad season.

Talk about cut your nose to spite your face

Don't understand this obsession with Winston and Tampa. If Winston had shown zero of evidence of growth. I'd find more relevant, but the reason we even kept him and resign him is that he shown a lot of growth by the end of the season. His former team mates have even commented the change in Winston.

Just like 2004 vs. 2006 vs. 2009 vs. 2018 Brees aren't the same player. Neither is Winston.

Other than trying to be a Debbie downer in Winston... Which is dumb. It makes no sense to be so down on him. He's already RESIGN, Competing for a starting spot. So, you better hope that he or Hill take huge leaps or we are in for a bad season.

Honestly that is not a bad thing. Yes having a bad season would suck to watch, but if they both have a bad season, then at least the Saints will be in a more realistic position to draft an elite QB prospect. A lot easier when you either don't have to trade up, or only need to move a few spots than it is to be at #28 or something.

Honestly that is not a bad thing. Yes having a bad season would suck to watch, but if they both have a bad season, then at least the Saints will be in a more realistic position to draft an elite QB prospect. A lot easier when you either don't have to trade up, or only need to move a few spots than it is to be at #28 or something.
Yeah, It's really a win-win situation. A QB situation is way easier to fix than a defense... or an offensive line. It's just one person to get right.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think you hit the nail squarely on the head when you said he was signed to compete for the starting spot. Some on here have said that Winston will be the MVP, which is crazy because they say it as if it is a realistic expectation. It's not, could it happen, sure, but the chances are extremely low. The chances are about the same as him being a bottom 10 qb and that is assuming he wins the starting job.

I hope Winston does well. My respect for him has grown, but I've also seen some things that shows he still has some growing to do. I think he is in his best shot to succeed, but this mvp talk and other unrealistic comments are just setting up people to be disappointed.

Good thread so far. Got lots of sunshine pumpers, thunderstorm dumpers, optimism, pessimism, communism. .All angles which makes this thread bump worthy in 8 months.
Just remember, he can only be Jameis, not Drew. Following a legend is tough. If he gets the gig, I will support him

Good thread so far. Got lots of sunshine pumpers, thunderstorm dumpers, optimism, pessimism, communism. .All angles which makes this thread bump worthy in 8 months.
Just remember, he can only be Jameis, not Drew. Following a legend is tough. If he gets the gig, I will support him
YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO BE LEVEL-HEADED AND REASONABLE /s

Yep just add on about 8-10 lbs and he's ready to go as a dynamic TE.

He'd go from a mediocre receiver in terms of speed to one of the faster TEs in the league.
Hope dis had been the plan all along for Johnson! At his pro day, he came in at 6’4”, 230 lbs. But the guy has 34 1/2 in arms (along 10 1/2 in hands)! So he should b able to easily add 10-15 lbs of muscle to dat kinda frame.

But man, O linemen have dat kinda arm length n hand size! IF he can add muscle n strengthen his upper body, n work on n develop technique, he could also become an effective blocker.

Finally, I saw a lne from Daniel Jeremiah on JJ from awhile back, where basically he said, “He’s a TE who jus doesn’t know it yet!” 😂

Maybe it’s time he does!

Winston CAN'T make all the throws, his timing and "out patterns" in the flat are hard to watch. His anticipation was concerning and he tried to wait for receivers to get open then tried to "muscle" the ball into them often. He has ALL THE TOOLS to make all the throws, but he hasn't. I will say that in his time in the 49ers game he was patient, had nice anticipation, went through his reads pretty well and checked down when needed. His toss to Kamara on that seam was really nice with touch and anticipation. He started pressing in the red zone, but when dissecting the 49ers game, there were shades of Winston he had not shown in the past...which is encouraging. IF it all comes together, it could be pretty significant!! His biggest adversary is his own mental game...if he can stay out of his way...wow. If he gets the starting nod, he will have earned it "hands down". If he can not regress and keep progressing and not press, when he can really let it loose with the potential he has, it is exciting to think about.

For both Taysom and Jameis, it is mental. Whoever can learn new mental habits faster will be our QB. I was thinking a few months ago it would be Jameis, but now cannot say. Taysom is just quite, no videos from his camp so far :)

I am happy now with the Ian Book pick and also Trevor Simien our backup QB. Most likely, Ian Book will be slotted on the PS. We will carry 3 QBs this year, and all three are on our roster right now (I think!)

For both Taysom and Jameis, it is mental. Whoever can learn new mental habits faster will be our QB. I was thinking a few months ago it would be Jameis, but now cannot say. Taysom is just quite, no videos from his camp so far :)

I am happy now with the Ian Book pick and also Trevor Simien our backup QB. Most likely, Ian Book will be slotted on the PS. We will carry 3 QBs this year, and all three are on our roster right now (I think!)
I believe Trevor will be let go. Book on a practice squad will be snatched up by another team as a 3rd stringer for development. That's the reason we drafted him, not to give him away

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom