with all of these teams cutting players.. (1 Viewer)

What would our cap hit be if we cut him vs. keeping him? I don't remember what his signing bonus was, but I know that if we cut him B4 June 1, we will take the hit for the remainder this year, although not his salary. Anyone know the difference between cutting him and keeping him?:dunno:

You know we wont, we dont cut players, we sign players cut from other teams and call them upgrades.....

"ha ha ha ha hah hah ahh aha ha hah ah ah ah" ok, i'm done laughing.

the saints did cut horn and that was the only good call mickey and coach made last off-season.

Henderson

My prob with resigning Henderson is that he couldn't catch 2 passes in a row in a contract year. What should we expect him to do once he's paid???

Henderson has a real knack for catching the tough catches -- and missing the easy ones. If Meachem was doing as well as Henderson, he would have been on the field at least once last year. I say resign Henderson, with lots of incentive clauses to the contract.

Devery would be a great #4....so why cut him?

Because he probably wants to be paid like a #2.

I think the Saints and Devery both would like to extend their marriage, but only if the price is right. Devery will have to see what other teams are willing to pay, and the Saints will have to decide if they think he is worth it relative to other options they may have.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!:ban_him:

But seriously, I hope we are able to keep him until camp at least and see how his knee heals. Maybe he'd be willing to renegotiate?

Fact of the matter is Deuce is a running back with two surgically repaired ACLs. I don't know of 3 running backs that have come from that and been as good as they were before. Besides he's reaching that age where RBs slow down anyways. Odds are that Deuce can't be counted on, at least not with his current contract. Renegotiation comes first, then see if he can be the old Deuce. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before he got injured last season.

He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before he got injured last season.

Neither were Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, or Marques Colston, but they got a chance to improve. If anyone can come back from this and be productive, it's Deuce.

Neither were Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, or Marques Colston, but they got a chance to improve. If anyone can come back from this and be productive, it's Deuce.

None of those players is a 30 y/o running back coming off of two torn ACLs, which is one of the most debilitating injuries a running back can suffer. I love Deuce too, but I know that the best thing for the team is to get younger at RB. Doesn't mean Deuce shouldn't come back and be a part of this team, but how can he be counted on to shoulder the load after those injuries?

It's just highly improbable, and the team shouldn't bank its season on hoping and wishing that he reverts back to the old Deuce. This is a business.

This board just can't grasp the fact Deuce's career is on a serious decline.

Deuce probably runs a 4.75 right now.

If we didn't have Pierre things would be a little different.

I'd take Pierre and Bush over Deuce and Bush.

Dumb question, what's the difference in CAP hit between cutting someone now or waiting until after the start of FA?

Because other teams are cutting players to make CAP room for FA singings....and we are $30 million under.

EDIT (addition): I would resign Henderson....but only for backup money. Something tells me he'll try for starter money with other teams but I think we can get him for cheap).

Last edited:
Meily has a point...all I'm hearing is a lot of teams making plans, cutting dead wood, postering for free agents, etc. And we are hearing absolutely nothing from the Saints (with all due respect to Mr. Grammatica). Who of our own are we looking to sign? Who are we letting go? Who are the guys who are not free agents that we may cut to make more salary cap room? Anything? Anybody?

Times Picayune is reporting nothing. Where's Stonewall or even Bongo when you need 'em?

We'll know something once the Saints are ready to make whatever moves they will make, be patient.

This board just can't grasp the fact Deuce's career is on a serious decline.

Deuce probably runs a 4.75 right now.

If we didn't have Pierre things would be a little different.

I'd take Pierre and Bush over Deuce and Bush.

I agree. Deuce has meant a lot to this team and he's a great player. But you have to know when it is time to cut your ties with a player. I wish Deuce could go ahead and retire a Saint. I wish that Brees had not thrown an awkward pass that caused Deuce to go up and try to bring in the ball, only to end up tearing his ACL again. But we cannot change the past. Somehow, I believe that even if that play does not happen, Deuce would not have finished the season. He seemed slowed by an injury before he was injured. In other words, it seemed inevitable that he would reinjure himself and I do not know that it is wise to bring him back. Deuce's signing bonus, if I am not mistaken, was around $12 million. That's a bargain these days. He has a roster bonus due in March. The Saints can cut him and treat him at a June 1st cut. It would give Deuce time to possibly find another team and, at the same time, have a greater benefit for the Saints long-term in respect to the salary cap.

Devery would be a great #4....so why cut him?

Because he probably wants to be paid like a #2.

I think the Saints and Devery both would like to extend their marriage, but only if the price is right. Devery will have to see what other teams are willing to pay, and the Saints will have to decide if they think he is worth it relative to other options they may have.

Number 4 recievers usually make the veterans minimum. I don't see another desperate team not at least giving him more then we are willing to pay him to be a backup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom