With all the young talent at wide receiver right now (1 Viewer)

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why does everyone have Ginn as a lock to make this roster? I like Ginn & I'm not saying he can't play in this league any more. But last season & this have shown that this team is acquiring a depth of young talent at the receiver position that gives coaches difficult decisions to make. IF Emanual Butler is as great as his training camp legend says he is. And if that legend can be translated to game day to go along with the steady play of young guys like Carr & Kirkwood who was pressed into action last season when Ginn was injured. Then how do you cut up & coming young guys like Cobbs, Grayson, Butler, & Humphrey when the name of the game is to continue to improve & become stronger. This may sound crazy, but like a pride of lions that eventually has a younger, stronger male take over the pride, I see Ginn being pushed out by the young lions on this roster.

This is recency bias. Until there are 5 better receivers than him, Ginn stays.

Plus he still takes the top off defenses in a way no one else on this roster can. And don't even try to trot out the board's latest rookie infatuation with some hint of wheels as if that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

Plus he still takes the top off defenses in a way no one else on this roster can. And don't even try to trot out the board's latest rookie infatuation with some hint of wheels as if that's all there is to it.

Perfect! Good Morning UK!

Why does everyone have Ginn as a lock to make this roster? I like Ginn & I'm not saying he can't play in this league any more. But last season & this have shown that this team is acquiring a depth of young talent at the receiver position that gives coaches difficult decisions to make. IF Emanual Butler is as great as his training camp legend says he is. And if that legend can be translated to game day to go along with the steady play of young guys like Carr & Kirkwood who was pressed into action last season when Ginn was injured. Then how do you cut up & coming young guys like Cobbs, Grayson, Butler, & Humphrey when the name of the game is to continue to improve & become stronger. This may sound crazy, but like a pride of lions that eventually has a younger, stronger male take over the pride, I see Ginn being pushed out by the young lions on this roster.

If Ginn is "pushed out" where does the veteran presence and leadership come from?

The kids may have talent and promise but they haven't done it yet...……....Ginn was doing it when they were in high school.

Carr, Kirkwood, and Smith had most of the season, last year, to prove themselves without Ginn. They couldn't.

The rest of the WRs never stood across the field, from a first string NFL defense before in their lives.

Ginn is a lock.
To whom did they not prove themselves? The national media & there by extension the local media, or the coaching staff? Because Drew had the highest completion percentage in nfl history. And it wasn't all to Thomas.
Thomas catch % last season = 85%. Little wonder why he gets paid.
Watson catch % last season = 76%. Hopefully Cook can have even better numbers
Kamara catch % last season = 77%. That's actually down a little from his rookie season of 81%
Josh Hill catch % last season - 66.7% not shabby for 2nd TE, but hopefully he can do better.
Arnold catch% last season = 63%. Not gonna cut it for a specialty go to tight end. But he gets a break as an UDFA. Must impress the coaches to stay, or back to the PS. Carr
Carr % last season = 64.3% decent catch%, plus an outstanding blocker in running game with nice size & low salary cap number. Fearless across the middle = keeper.
Kirkwood catch% last season = 62.1%. Outstanding for a UDFA rookie. Big & physical, 16.2 YPC. Was huge in running game blocking. Low salary cap number = keeper.
Ginn catch% last season= 56.7%. At least 5% lower than the next receiver. Caught 17 passes 209 yds. 12.6 YPC Ave. W/ 2 TDs. Injuries, age, & salary cap number make him a camp casualty. Sorry, but there's a time to fish & time to cut bait.

If Ginn is "pushed out" where does the veteran presence and leadership come from?

The kids may have talent and promise but they haven't done it yet...……....Ginn was doing it when they were in high school.
I think we have guy named Michael Thomas who's playing in his fourth season & should fulfill that role quite nicely. Plus Austin Carr brings a veteran presence well beyond his years. if Ginn doesn't catch on with someone else, I think the Saints hire him as a special assistant.

He might take the top off a defense, but YPC average is 12.6 & his catch percentage is well below that of any other WR from last season. And he's 34 years old with a big cap number.

he is clearly the number two receiver. no one has stepped up and none has shown the ability to do so.

He might take the top off a defense, but YPC average is 12.6 & his catch percentage is well below that of any other WR from last season. And he's 34 years old with a big cap number.

That element of taking the top off the D is crucial to opening up the underneath stuff for Kamara, Cook and, at times MT.

And I’m not sure his cap number makes a big difference unless we’re planning on bringing in someone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom