With Lance Moore not expecting to play Sunday... (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With Lance not expecting to play Sunday, I wonder if we'll get our first look at Rod Harper in a regular season game?

Even with Lance being active in the first two games, the Saints haven't been able to run many 4 receiver sets, because Lance's been dinged. Now with him almost assuredly being inactive for Sunday, does Payton activate Harper?

OTHER INJURIES: Receiver Lance Moore said he doesn't expect to play Sunday after missing his second consecutive practice with a hamstring injury. Moore said it's especially frustrating since he just came back last month from a shoulder injury that wiped out his entire offseason.

"But I guess stuff happens, " said Moore, who said he plans to stay patient and smart and not try to push the injury before it's healed.
It would be nice to see some 4 receiver sets against the Bills 31st ranked passing D.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_news_and_no_5.html

With Lance not expecting to play Sunday, I wonder if we'll get our first look at Rod Harper in a regular season game?

Even with Lance being active in the first two games, the Saints haven't been able to run many 4 receiver sets, because Lance's been dinged. Now with him almost assuredly being inactive for Sunday, does Payton activate Harper?

It would be nice to see some 4 receiver sets against the Bills 31st ranked passing D.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_news_and_no_5.html

We don't do alot of 4 WR personnel. When we go into an empty or balanced spread formation (4 WR alignment), you'll usually see a RB (mostly Bush) and/or a TE (usually Shockey, but sometimes more than one) out wide or in the slot. I've rarely seen the Saints put more than 3 WR's on the field at once.

It's about having your best receivers rather than your best WRs. If Harper gets time, it'll be rotationally.

I don't see yall running too many 4 WR sets. Yall already have plenty of guys that can split out wide (Shockey, Bush, Thomas) there is really no need. And if the weather holds up to what it is then yall will run the 4 wide even less.

It's an interesting question but I've been wondering if Roby will see some time at receiver since he is already an active player.

I'm sure he has too. We're not going to go into the game with only 4 active wide receivers. I think it's obvious that Payton liked Harper as a receiver more then Roby.

That said, I doubt we see a lot of 4 wide sets. The staff seems comfortable with playing David Thomas a lot, you'll see a lot of 2 TE and Bush motion to a WR slot I believe in an attempt to exploit the Bills Linebackers.

That said, I doubt we see a lot of 4 wide sets. The staff seems comfortable with playing David Thomas a lot, you'll see a lot of 2 TE and Bush motion to a WR slot I believe in an attempt to exploit the Bills Linebackers.

Yes. The Bills have had significant trouble covering TE's in each of the first two games, so I would have expected Shockey and/or Thomas to be on the field the vast majority of the time even if all our receivers were playing.

Yes. The Bills have had significant trouble covering TE's in each of the first two games, so I would have expected Shockey and/or Thomas to be on the field the vast majority of the time even if all our receivers were playing.

Well, I really think the Bills will also test the edges. Which is a huge mistake in my opinion, but a natural one to make. At some point, maybe most of the game, Bushrod and maybe even Stinchomb will need help, so more incentive to have backs and TEs on the field.

Who's the #5 WR on the depth chart? Roby or Harper? Not sure it matters, because they may just go with Colston, Henderson, and Meachem ... using Shockey and Bush in obvious pass situations as well.

I haven't been able to figure anything out about Pierre Thomas. Is he going to play a lot this week or not?

Looks like Mike Bell and Lance Moore are both out. Without Thomas the Saints' offense might be getting a little bit thin, being down 3 skill-position contributors.

I haven't been able to figure anything out about Pierre Thomas. Is he going to play a lot this week or not?

Looks like Mike Bell and Lance Moore are both out. Without Thomas the Saints' offense might be getting a little bit thin, being down 3 skill-position contributors.

According to Payton (on yesterday), Pierre & Hamilton will share the load on the touches Mike Bell had been getting.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_official_in.html

...But he was evasive when asked specifically how the touches will be divided between Hamilton, Thomas and Reggie Bush.

"Pierre's getting close, if not real close to 100 percent," Payton said of Thomas, who returned last week from his own knee injury but played sparingly at Philadelphia.

Payton also refused to reveal the Saints' plan for replacing Lance Moore. But he did point out that first-year pro Rod Harper is an option on the active roster....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom