With no 1st round pick at the moment, Does that mean the Saints have to be aggressive in Free Agency? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think Marcus Davenport played very well this past season and justified using this year's 1st round pick on. It amounted to a very late round pick for a guy who could become a star in the NFL. He was on a nice tear because his toe injury. But the fact remains that the Saints don't currently have a 1st round pick in a draft that is said to be loaded with top tier talent. As a result, do you think the Saints will be a big player in free agency this year? Or mortgage the future by trading away future draft picks to go for a big name in the Draft? Or do they stand pat and just work with what they have?

I think the team they have (if healthy) is a pretty obvious contender. To me it would be very tough for lower round (4th and below) draft picks to make this team, not saying it's not possible but unlikely. We need a few key areas for depth (offensive and defensive lines), WR, a young promising TE...but other than that I don't see any obvious areas of need. As for FA, I don't think we can afford to make a very big splash if we want to hold on to all the young players who will soon be demanding very large 2nd contracts (MT, Kamara, Ram, Rankins, etc)....

My bet is that they do try to make a move up, although it's not what I would prefer to see them do.

I think that DL is suddenly a concern, particularly DT.

If there's someone they really covet that falls into a reachable range by trading more future picks, they'll do it. And I wouldn't blame them one bit. This is the last year Drew is under contract and we don't know what the future holds past this next season.

Most often than not, when we are aggressive in FA, we get burned really bad. So no thanks. Sign mid level FA that fit our system.

No, they just need some of the young players to play better.

Saints went all in last season.. and it almost worked, if not for the blind refs. This year they don't have a lot of cap space, especially if they sign Teddy and Peat

Most often than not, when we are aggressive in FA, we get burned really bad. So no thanks. Sign mid level FA that fit our system.
Ummm... Davis was aggressive signing. Meredith, Prob, and Coleman where mid level signing and they all bust.

We have 4 or 5 of our own to re-sign. I prefer we take care of our own.

Perhaps we could trade Bridgewater to the Ravens for one of their 4 young TEs? Maybe move Ingram to them for a first and pick up the next star RB with it? I hear they are looking at him.

Perhaps we could trade Bridgewater to the Ravens for one of their 4 young TEs? Maybe move Ingram to them for a first and pick up the next star RB with it? I hear they are looking at him.
I think Nick Boyle is a FA. He’s one of their better TEs. And bc they used a 3 TE set a lot, none of their TEs had a good-great year. Could come cheap, but I think there are better options

We can't trade Bridgewater, he is a free agent.

I am very against moving on from Ingram.

Next idea!!

My bet is that they do try to make a move up, although it's not what I would prefer to see them do.

I think that DL is suddenly a concern, particularly DT.

I like your thinking. Since rook DTs usually take 3 years to develop, I wonder if the FO and SP will go and get a proven FA that would help us win the SB this year. but idunno...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom