With Rob Ryan aboard, Saints’ defense seeks ‘perfect storm’ (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

With Rob Ryan aboard, Saints’ defense seeks ‘perfect storm’

By Ted Lewis - Advocate sportswriter

Rob Ryan denies he’s coaching with a chip on his shoulder.

Perhaps the Saints’ new defensive coordinator should check under his long gray locks. He’d likely find a very big one there.

A combination of Ryan’s naturally aggressive style and lingering hurt feelings over what he considers an unjustified firing after just two seasons in Dallas has given him motivation to redeem himself at this, his fourth stop as a coordinator.

And with the Saints, Ryan has found himself in charge of a unit just as anxious to redeem itself after yielding the most yards in NFL history in 2012.

More - Advocate

I think we will be improved from last year, but we should take a big leap in 2014. We need another off season to fully reshape our new 3-4 look. We have a solid D-line but could use some depth. We still need a top notch pass rushing OLB to get us over the hump.(UCLA OLB Anthony Barr would look good in the black and gold.. his highlights are pretty sick) We are getting old at ILB and need to younger. If Jenkins doesn't work out another S will be needed and some depth at CB wouldn't hurt either especially if Robinson can't live up to his potential. Every level of the new 3-4 still needs an infusion of young talent.

I don't know what to expect this upcoming season but I am very excited and very cautious at the same time.

I think we will be improved from last year, but we should take a big leap in 2014. We need another off season to fully reshape our new 3-4 look. We have a solid D-line but could use some depth. We still need a top notch pass rushing OLB to get us over the hump.(UCLA OLB Anthony Barr would look good in the black and gold.. his highlights are pretty sick) We are getting old at ILB and need to younger. If Jenkins doesn't work out another S will be needed and some depth at CB wouldn't hurt either especially if Robinson can't live up to his potential. Every level of the new 3-4 still needs an infusion of young talent.

I don't know what to expect this upcoming season but I am very excited and very cautious at the same time.

RR has been doing alot of mixin up on D in minicamp. Of course he wants to see who can do what, and how they're adapting to the 3-4, but he sites all the injuries he had in Dallas last year that led to a very good D fall off in its top 10 play...... and his firing.

Adamant about that not happenin here, among his priorities, RR wants to develop DEPTH. At least 2 deep at every position, with little dropoff between the 1s and 2s. After that, he and his 3-4 will be much like GW and his 4-3: an aggressive, get to the ball, man cover D. But unlike GW, I think RR is a lil more flexable, willing to scheme a lil more, willing to listen a lil more -from his his players and from SP.

Its easy to compare this Saints personnel to Dallas last year. We simply DONT have a Ware and Spencer. What we do have is some good talent, bolstered by the addition of Butler, Lewis an Coleman in FA, and KV, JJ, Johnson in the draft and a host of good UDFAs.

But on O, we DO have Sean Payton back as our HC, and the best QB in the game in Drew. As the DC here, GW flat out loooved it!

I kinda feel RRs gonna love it too!

:9:

Rob Ryan was exactly what this team needed and I have no bout a doubt it that he's gonna make our defense at worse middle of the pack this year and he will be here to stay with keeping a top 10 D for many years to come! He's the perfect compliment to Sean Peyton! Here's to winning and here's to a BA D!

Ryan was only signed to a 1 year contract, right? Gotta admit, I'm nervous about that much. If he does well, he could be hired away, leaving us searching for another D coordinator again.

RR has been doing alot of mixin up on D in minicamp. Of course he wants to see who can do what, and how they're adapting to the 3-4, but he sites all the injuries he had in Dallas last year that led to a very good D fall off in its top 10 play...... and his firing.

Adamant about that not happenin here, among his priorities, RR wants to develop DEPTH. At least 2 deep at every position, with little dropoff between the 1s and 2s. After that, he and his 3-4 will be much like GW and his 4-3: an aggressive, get to the ball, man cover D. But unlike GW, I think RR is a lil more flexable, willing to scheme a lil more, willing to listen a lil more -from his his players and from SP.

Its easy to compare this Saints personnel to Dallas last year. We simply DONT have a Ware and Spencer. What we do have is some good talent, bolstered by the addition of Butler, Lewis an Coleman in FA, and KV, JJ, Johnson in the draft and a host of good UDFAs.

But on O, we DO have Sean Payton back as our HC, and the best QB in the game in Drew. As the DC here, GW flat out loooved it!

I kinda feel RRs gonna love it too!

:9:

Do you think this may actually work out in out favor? If you don't have the guy who is head and shoulders above his competition, you tend to run guys in and out.. thus improving your your depth. Everybody plays, no one or two players take all the snaps.

I'd love to see the aggressiveness back on this team, but I'd also like to see a smarter version of an aggressive attacking defense in that some of the stupid penalties be avoided, and some of the mental lapses that allowed some spectacular plays against us be eliminated. Things like leaving Vernon Davis uncovered and uncontested in a playoff game?? What was GW thinking? I don't want to see anymore of those kinds of boneheaded mistakes. If we can do that, this team is the most unbeatable team in the league in my opinion.

I want to see some aggressiveness too on our defense too and I believe we will. RR is passionate about football and coaching. RR is a better teacher than GW was, so IMO we will see a much better defense. I can't wait to see our defense in action. I am optimistic about the defense, if we have a defense ranked somewhere between 15 -20 I believe we will make another trip to the SB.

The difference between G3 AND RR is G3 is, and will be a goober, (kinda nerdy). Players liked playing for him because he let them play and be aggresive. Rob Ryan is more of a man's man, and he's cool. He has multiple things going for him; Hicks coming back as a veteran, Butler following him coming in as (I belive a 12 sack guy) a guy that Ryan sees as a potential game changer, Vilma with a clean slate and healthy, Harper being used as he should be, Vacarro as a free lance turonover causing machine, Wilson and Gallette utilizing there speed on the edge with a push from JENKINS, a true pocket pusher, the list goes on. I feel really excited about the relationship between Ryan and Payton. It just seems like a Super Bowl is in the mix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom