With Saints a win away from Atlanta's Super Bowl, Falcons fans on edge (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1547955176838.png
(AP Photo/David Goldman)

By: Tyler Estep, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution | WSBTV.com

ATLANTA - The New Orleans Saints are just one win away from playing in the Super Bowl right here in Atlanta, in the gleaming new stadium that’s home to their biggest, albeit title-less rival.

And if they’re being honest, long-suffering Falcons fans from the mayor on down really would prefer to see the Saints fail to punch their proverbial ticket. Even for a city that’s grown accustomed to having sports-related disappointment and despair delivered in extraordinary fashion, this would be a new level of indignity.

“All I can say is, we don’t need no ‘who dat’ here,” Georgia State Rep. Dewey McClain said this week, referencing the Saints’ infamous battle cry. “All I can say is, they won’t get no Capitol invite.”

McClain, a linebacker-turned-legislator from Lilburn, played for the Falcons from 1976 to 1981. It was an eventful run in the rivalry that included two games decided by last-second Hail Marys and another by a blocked punt.

McClain knows that this idea, Atlanta fans’ aversion to the Saints appearing in the local Super Bowl (not to mention taking over the Falcons’ practice facilities and locker room), is not a manufactured media phenomenon. ...

Full Story - wsbtv.com

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin
1547955176838.png
(AP Photo/David Goldman)

By: Tyler Estep, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution | WSBTV.com

ATLANTA - The New Orleans Saints are just one win away from playing in the Super Bowl right here in Atlanta, in the gleaming new stadium that’s home to their biggest, albeit title-less rival.

And if they’re being honest, long-suffering Falcons fans from the mayor on down really would prefer to see the Saints fail to punch their proverbial ticket. Even for a city that’s grown accustomed to having sports-related disappointment and despair delivered in extraordinary fashion, this would be a new level of indignity.

“All I can say is, we don’t need no ‘who dat’ here,” Georgia State Rep. Dewey McClain said this week, referencing the Saints’ infamous battle cry. “All I can say is, they won’t get no Capitol invite.”

McClain, a linebacker-turned-legislator from Lilburn, played for the Falcons from 1976 to 1981. It was an eventful run in the rivalry that included two games decided by last-second Hail Marys and another by a blocked punt.

McClain knows that this idea, Atlanta fans’ aversion to the Saints appearing in the local Super Bowl (not to mention taking over the Falcons’ practice facilities and locker room), is not a manufactured media phenomenon. ...

Full Story - wsbtv.com

That would be the ultimate ending to this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom