With some injuries to other OLB Tweeners, is Mingo a good fit for us? (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm re-asking this question with better grammar. The other thread has been deleted, since it was mostly focusing on grammar and age, etc. It got silly.

So, as they do with the movies, here is a re-boot.

Is Mingo a good fit for us, with some of the other pass rushers having question marks? What do you like about his game and what don't you?

Me personally, I'm still ok with Dion Jordan, despite the injury.

I'm thinking the big giant nose tackles that grade out well or an upper echelon corner back.
My fave is Minter, but I dont see them picking him.

I hope it's either him or another Pass rush OLB in the first but I would not be upset with someone like Floyd at the DL position. Ultimately I would love to get a top OLB and then pick up the big DT from Missouri Southern, Brandon Williams in the 3rd

I'm starting to hope we go for Vaccaro, Rhodes, or Elam in the first or if one of the top 3 OT's happen to fall. I know we need to work on our front 7 but I really think the change to a 3-4 will already help that area and we can find pass rushers and NT's later on. I still believe we will get some Vet's in FA that have played in a 3-4 so that we aren't having to rely on a rookie as much.

With Junior we have our primary rusher what we need is a SAM who can rush and drop into coverage. Dion Jordan has a lot better versatility than Mingo, who gets overpowered against the run and doesn't cover good at all. Jordan on the other hand is a very fluid athlete who can easily stay with a TE.

Not impressed with Jordan's body of work compaired to other OLBs. IDK but numbers don't usually lie. I can't make a full case on this being I haven't watched much of him other than a few highlight reels but I'm just not as sold as others here. ...Make me believe, LOL

I'm starting to hope we go for Vaccaro, Rhodes, or Elam in the first or if one of the top 3 OT's happen to fall. I know we need to work on our front 7 but I really think the change to a 3-4 will already help that area and we can find pass rushers and NT's later on. I still believe we will get some Vet's in FA that have played in a 3-4 so that we aren't having to rely on a rookie as much.

That would be nice but the reality is we have entirely too much money tied into jenkins and harper. Their cap hit would dont make their release a good move and they dont have a high trade value.. As for the 3-4 olb there arent many if any that are available. And any that are are more expensive than we are willing to pay..

I'm not a fan of Mingo. He's got freakish quickness off the edge and is great in lateral pursuit, but he didn't put up the sack numbers he was expected to this season, and now his running partner Sam Mongomery is saying he and Mingo took plays off against the "easy" opponents.

Not impressed with Jordan's body of work compaired to other OLBs. IDK but numbers don't usually lie. I can't make a full case on this being I haven't watched much of him other than a few highlight reels but I'm just not as sold as others here. ...Make me believe, LOL

He played with that injured shoulder this year so he couldnt get in the weight room.. He played de, olb, dropped in pass coverage.. Overall he has alot of skills but his motor and his weight has been a concern

I think our needs will be met on draft day, but that first round pick can be anywhere from a NT, OT, ILB or OLB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom