With some injuries to other OLB Tweeners, is Mingo a good fit for us? (1 Viewer)

Ok, I'm re-asking this question with better grammar. The other thread has been deleted, since it was mostly focusing on grammar and age, etc. It got silly.

So, as they do with the movies, here is a re-boot.

Is Mingo a good fit for us, with some of the other pass rushers having question marks? What do you like about his game and what don't you?

Me personally, I'm still ok with Dion Jordan, despite the injury.

I now want Jamie Collins -LB - USM. If not in the first round, then the third if he is still there. The young man is a beast. I hope that Shaun and Mickey paid close attention to his efforts in the combine. I have seen him play for the last three years. He is an outstanding young man and physical speciman

I'm not a fan of Mingo. He's got freakish quickness off the edge and is great in lateral pursuit, but he didn't put up the sack numbers he was expected to this season, and now his running partner Sam Mongomery is saying he and Mingo took plays off against the "easy" opponents.

I don't recall Montgomery stating that Mingo took plays off, he was speaking for himself.
In regards to sack numbers, if I'm correct, he was basically playing out of position, being in a 4-3 defense. As is evident now, he should be a 3-4 OLB, not a DE.

I don't know if he'll ever be any good, bu it's the unknown and trying to read potential that make the NFL Draft so intriguing.

If I had to guess anything all of these guys like Mingo are on the rise and less likely to be there at 15.

I don't recall Montgomery stating that Mingo took plays off, he was speaking for himself.
In regards to sack numbers, if I'm correct, he was basically playing out of position, being in a 4-3 defense. As is evident now, he should be a 3-4 OLB, not a DE.

I don't know if he'll ever be any good, bu it's the unknown and trying to read potential that make the NFL Draft so intriguing.

His is a similar case to Juniors. At 258, Junior was giving up 40+ lbs to the LT. At 240, Mingo was giving up 50-60+ lbs to the RT.

Both should be better in the 3-4. IMO, Junior could lose 5-10 lbs to aid his quickness. Mingo could add about the same to improve his strength. The questions for Mingo are, is he strong enough, and can he cover well enough to play SAM?

I'm not a Mingo fan and I think he will be a bust in the NFL. If he played for Texas instead of LSU Saints fans wouldn't care about him. Where was he during the Alabama game?

He played with that injured shoulder this year so he couldnt get in the weight room.. He played de, olb, dropped in pass coverage.. Overall he has alot of skills but his motor and his weight has been a concern

Similar set of circumstances with Mingo. The kid came in at 208 after playing only two years of organized football. He bulked up to 237 by his sophmore year, but spent last winter rehabbing a neck injury and came in very thin (I believe 220). I think he'll end up around 250 when its all said and done - plenty big enough for a 34OLB, which is what he is.

The weight issue affected him last year fure sure, but by the end of the season, he was playing well and tallied 8.5 TFLs and 12 hurries on 38 stops -- not too shabby.

He looked fantastic today. I think many suspected he "fattened up" for the combine, but he looked as fluid and athletic at 241 as he ever did. I think he would be a fantastic get for us. He needs to be coached up some, but its all there.

Mingo will be well and gone by 15 after today.
This. With the injury flags elsewhere and a lack of 1st rnd QBs its gonna be slim pickings.

Cornelius Washington
Stansly Maponga
Michael Buchanan
Jamie Collins,
Brandon Jenkins,
Tank Carradine
Chase Thomas
Corey Lemonier
if we go with a CB, these will be there 3rd and later maybe

Lacks one of the main qualities an elite pass rusher needs...bend. If he can't bend, he'll get pushed past the QB. That scares me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom